Who's Going To Uni?

My tutor is on strike tomorrow so my seminar, in which I've spent about a week preparing a presentation for, is cancelled. I'm sitting at a 2A just now but I'm going to email my module coordinator and milk this like f**k in the hope of getting bumped up to a first.

Glasgow Uni library is closed. Came all the way into uni to get some work done only to find out they've closed the library.

If they are on strike, they are on strike, but someone at the uni surely could have sent an email to let students know the library will be closed.

Also not sure if I like being told not to cross a picket line by someone with a megaphone simply for walking into the main building to get a coffee.

Strikes make me considerably more right wing. If they want to take industrial action, that's their business, why get annoyed at students using the facilities we pay a shit-load of money to use? If picket lines were more friendly, less militant and let us get on with our business I feel there would be less frustration on campus about their antics.

Also the loony left trying to convince me to join some CND campaign is odd, what have CND got to do with university staff pay conditions?

Guest honestrae95

Glasgow Uni library is closed. Came all the way into uni to get some work done only to find out they've closed the library.

If they are on strike, they are on strike, but someone at the uni surely could have sent an email to let students know the library will be closed.

Also not sure if I like being told not to cross a picket line by someone with a megaphone simply for walking into the main building to get a coffee.

Strikes make me considerably more right wing. If they want to take industrial action, that's their business, why get annoyed at students using the facilities we pay a shit-load of money to use? If picket lines were more friendly, less militant and let us get on with our business I feel there would be less frustration on campus about their antics.

Also the loony left trying to convince me to join some CND campaign is odd, what have CND got to do with university staff pay conditions?

Completely agree. I went up to the library to get some work done to find it was closed. Apparently it was on the website, but surely they should have at least sent us an email.

Agree with your point on picket lines being too militant as well. I personally would give them more support if they weren't going to be complete throbbers about people essentially moving from building to building. Not that I do particularly agree with the strike.

I'm always getting harassed by left wing extremists such as the Marxist group when moving about campus. They seem to be a very active group.

1396034_643662849012303_220362708_n.jpg

Despite not striking, not being a part of the union, and ultimately, it having no effect on me, I'm entirely behind them.

The irony being that along with everything else in the country, the top level of HE take so much that the bottom level get f**k all, when really there's plenty for everyone to make a decent living.

Feeling pretty embarrassed tonight, although it's a bit of a non-event.

A few weeks into the Sports Studies module and I had a 500 word essay on 'What is Sport?' to be completed, which I believed would only be used for a computer lab test about turnitin. Cleverly, I decided it was a piece of piss and so proceeded to write an incoherent, utterly shambolic essay in the space of 5 minutes which in no way related to or answered the question (I did this as it would not be getting marked). To top it off, in a moment of abject stupidity I also typed my name onto the top of the so-called 'essay'. :1eye

I have found out this week that this essay will be reviewed by fellow students as part of the 2nd assignment of the module. Frankly, I'm not bothered that it's a shite essay but the fact that it has my name on it turns it into a whole new ball game. Considering deactivating my Facebook for a week and laying low for a while...

Edited by Chupacabra

Feeling pretty embarrassed tonight, although it's a bit of a non-event.

A few weeks into the Sports Studies module and I had a 500 word essay on 'What is Sport?' to be completed, which I believed would only be used for a computer lab test about turnitin. Cleverly, I decided it was a piece of piss and so proceeded to write an incoherent, utterly shambolic essay in the space of 5 minutes which in no way related to or answered the question (I did this as it would not be getting marked). To top it off, in a moment of abject stupidity I also typed my name onto the top of the so-called 'essay'. :1eye

I have found out this week that this essay will be reviewed by fellow students as part of the 2nd assignment of the module. Frankly, I'm not bothered that it's a shite essay but the fact that it has my name on it turns it into a whole new ball game. Considering deactivating my Facebook for a week and laying low for a while...

Your life at Uni is just a never ending clusterfuck :lol:.

Did you not do history? Mmmm

A fine point. VT has always been in denial that history is on a par with the likes of sociology / psychology and that will never change seeing as he appears to be devoting his life to it. Hobby subject requiring him to stay in academia to make any use of it imo.

It's like trying to tell an Orc that Rangers died, perhaps more difficult.

Edited by Hedgecutter

A fine point. VT has always been in denial that history is on a par with the likes of sociology / psychology and that will never change seeing as he appears to be devoting his life to it. Hobby subject requiring him to stay in academia to make any use of it imo. It's like trying to tell an Orc that Rangers died, perhaps more difficult.

Glad to see you waded in to help out that laboured point. Unfortunately for you, history has a long record of attainment and respectability within academia, as opposed to sociology, which has no such established position or respect, hence why it gets punted out of universities as soon as they feel the pinch. It is, in short, a joke subject, and the comparison is entirely one-sided.

As for psychology, the scientific elements of the discipline are just as credible as the hard sciences. Social psychology is down there with the sociologists though.

Unfortunately for you, history has a long record of attainment and respectability within academia,

Perhaps historically, boom boom.

All other departments know exactly what it is. Like it or not, it's a 'social subject' just like geography which scrambles for relevance and you hear them coming out with the same old argument too.

Perhaps historically, boom boom.

All other departments know exactly what it is. Like it or not, it's a 'social subject' just like geography which scrambles for relevance and you hear them coming out with the same old argument too.

History is not a social subject, though as a second attempt at a comeback this was definitely an improvement on your hastily deleted first.

History is not a social subject, though as a second attempt at a comeback this was definitely an improvement on your hastily deleted first.

Doesn't it try to evaluate socially significant events that have happened in the past though?

Karl Marx was a historical materialist. He could also be considered an early sociologist..

The SQA force pupils to pick one of the three (what they call) social subjects taught, those being Modern Studies, Geography and... guess what.

Eta: If not human society, what history does 'History' cover? The Universe, evolution?

Edited by Hedgecutter