Who's Going To Uni?

Also currently doing my UCAS application, applying for Sports Journalism at UWS in Ayr. It's a course I've got my heart set on, just wished there was another uni that done it. Saying that I've not heard much reviews from students about uws so it may be okay.

A guy I know did a course at Caledonian. He is now working for Press & Journal.

Out of interest, can I ask why you are considering Mech Eng. (as opposed to another branch of engineering)? Numbers are through the roof for Mech Eng these days.

I'm currently doing a HND in it, so it's just a progression of that. I know there are a lot of people doing it, but there is still a shortage of mechanical engineers, so it seems a reasonable sensible path to go down. That, and it combines a lot of Maths and Physics, which is what I'm good at.

Had to do this aswell, been in RGU for 3 weeks and still havent used it

Same. On the Multimedia Development course and we're in a large lab that has a door at each end, neither of them has the fob sensor

I imagine that once the work piles up I'll need it if I decide to do work during my free time. Although I did see a guy strugglin' with his last week

Edited by DAVE1875

Has anyone here went on the CAD Glasgow Uni student training scheme? I have my first event tomorrow and not really sure what to expect, me volunteering for something is pretty unprecedented. I'll probably hate it but it should be the first attractive thing for me to put on my CV if I see it through.

Guest honestrae95

Has anyone here went on the CAD Glasgow Uni student training scheme? I have my first event tomorrow and not really sure what to expect, me volunteering for something is pretty unprecedented. I'll probably hate it but it should be the first attractive thing for me to put on my CV if I see it through.

By CAD do you mean Citizens Advice volunteering?

Been teaching a public law course for 3 weeks now, and it's been an interesting experience, albeit one that has been utterly infuriating at times. There are two groups that are excellent and really enthusiastic, constantly asking questions and discussing the big issues with one another. And then there is one group that is quiet but not bad, and another group that is actively soul destroying. It's sometimes just so clear that they haven't done the reading. I sometimes wonder whether I should just pluck up the courage to kick someone out if it is that obvious.

Been teaching a public law course for 3 weeks now, and it's been an interesting experience, albeit one that has been utterly infuriating at times. There are two groups that are excellent and really enthusiastic, constantly asking questions and discussing the big issues with one another. And then there is one group that is quiet but not bad, and another group that is actively soul destroying. It's sometimes just so clear that they haven't done the reading. I sometimes wonder whether I should just pluck up the courage to kick someone out if it is that obvious.

Is doing the reading mandatory? Who the hell does non-compulsory reading?

I assume you're getting paid for taking the course? Just teach it.

Edited by Bonksy+HisChristianParade

Guest honestrae95

I do indeed.

I signed up to volunteer as well because, as you say, it looks good on the CV. I'm volunteering with the Maryhill bureau but they've yet to contact me. I'm studying law so have been doing lay representative training every Wednesday as well, which goes alongside the CA stuff.

Where you based?

Question: how likely is it that a degree programme would change to the extent that someone who were to graduate in the same course, say, a year or 2 after me would obtain a "stronger" degree than me?

Not at all. The only real change is if, say, an excellent lecturer left and a weaker one came in, but even then that'd just be a module or two, not a whole degree.

Not at all. The only real change is if, say, an excellent lecturer left and a weaker one came in, but even then that'd just be a module or two, not a whole degree.

What about in terms of new things being taught? What would the probability be in new methods, new legislation and new ideas being taught to students, essentially "freshening up" the subject? If I applied for a job 1-2 years after I got a degree, would I be at a disadvantage to these students? Or is this scenario incredibly unlikely/irrelevant?

Yeah, we're playing on Mondays.

I'm playing on a Monday and a Friday so will be playing against you. What's your team name?

I play on the medics 7's league on a Friday cause a mate didn't have enough players (not doing medicine). Didn't even know about a 6's league.

It's at Garscube every year. I don't think it's advertised very well tbh, I got asked to play in first year and we just signed up every year since. You never see anything around campus about it or during the sports fair etc.

I'm playing on a Monday and a Friday so will be playing against you. What's your team name?

It's at Garscube every year. I don't think it's advertised very well tbh, I got asked to play in first year and we just signed up every year since. You never see anything around campus about it or during the sports fair etc.

Partick Monkeys, I believe. honestrae95 will also be playing. No idea if we'll be any good - I haven't met half the team yet.

It's really poorly advertised, and trying to actually organise a team is a pain in the arse. Glasgow's timetabling makes it pretty difficult to find a time when everyone can play, especially when everyone's taking different subjects, and just getting to Garscube seems like it'll be a pain in itself given its location and the lack of transport options from uni.

You can get a bus from the West End or car pool (surely someone has a car).

I actually used to play it, it was really good value something like £40 for half a season for the whole team.

Edited by Supras

I signed up to volunteer as well because, as you say, it looks good on the CV. I'm volunteering with the Maryhill bureau but they've yet to contact me. I'm studying law so have been doing lay representative training every Wednesday as well, which goes alongside the CA stuff.

Where you based?

I'm not based anywhere as of yet and I'm not entirely sure how it all works just now, basically it's just six four hour (but apparently never that long) training events both on campus then in their main city centre offices, followed by 156 hours of volunteering to complete the thing. I don't know if we'd pick a suitable bureau for ourselves or if it's just the one place.

Anyway the first one was painless, just a two hour long PowerPoint presentation and, pleasingly, no 'icebreaker' carry on. Everyone involved also seems fairly likeable.