Who's Going To Uni?

Indeed, he is like a rabbit in the headlights.

If your project doesn't mature quickly you'll find yourself dragged down into a pit of despair and depression. trying to get things done in academia is the equivalent of pulling teeth, and you won't get it done in three years, i think I've only ever seen one person do that! One guy in my office was at it for eight years. Got his viva and was so fucked off with his work that he jacked it and joined the polis.

As Xbass says, whatever you think of it now, you certainly will feel less well disposed a year on from now.....

While I don't doubt there will be times I wished I'd applied for that job with the SPSA (there was a job with SPSA I looked at...I didn't just pull an organisation out of a hat), I did canvas opinions from senior PhD students in the department and they all said it's a good place to work. I think part of that boils down to us being considered as part of the staff, so it removes the "them and us" kind of thing.

But I'm someone who likes challenges. When something is put before me that I need to do, I will strive to do it. To use what is now a decidedly trivial example, at the start of my final UG year, we had a team project with the most irritating client you could ask for and some of the stuff she demanded was ridiculous in the context of the project.

As the designated "hacker", I was given most of these impossible challenges. It took a lot of swearing and more late nights than I'd care to imagine, but I managed to do them.

The point being that I seem to just have this way of "cracking things" (in my areas of interest, natch), even if it does half kill me at times.

Edited by Sir Calum Melville

Guest Garibaldi
Two out of my eight flatmates last year didn't know that the Tories were the Conservatives.

One of them is doing a Politics degree.

A girl upstairs didn't know who Gordon Brown is. I'd put that near the top of her list of stupid comments, such as this converstation:

Guy reading girls magazine: Who would call their son Kane?

Stupid girl: Who calls their son Scott?

Scott: At least my name is a word for someone from the greatest country in the world.

Stupid girl: What county is that?

Or....

Stupid girl: Who's that?

Me: Michael McIntyre, the comedian.

Stupid girl: What does he comedian about? :huh:

Although I do doubt when people make comments like this how thick they are. I think when people are insecure about being thick they often pretend to be more stupid then they are in an attempt to make people laugh, which in turn gives their insecurities about being dumb a postive reaction. Having said that I spent a few minutes bricking myself that I hadn't saved 1000 words of my essay tonight before remembering it's on my USB port, so I'm in no position to judge.

While I don't doubt there will be times I wished I'd applied for that job with the SPSA (there was a job with SPSA I looked at...I didn't just pull an organisation out of a hat), I did canvas opinions from senior PhD students in the department and they all said it's a good place to work. I think part of that boils down to us being considered as part of the staff, so it removes the "them and us" kind of thing.

But I'm someone who likes challenges. When something is put before me that I need to do, I will strive to do it. To use what is now a decidedly trivial example, at the start of my final UG year, we had a team project with the most irritating client you could ask for and some of the stuff she demanded was ridiculous in the context of the project.

As the designated "hacker", I was given most of these impossible challenges. It took a lot of swearing and more late nights than I'd care to imagine, but I managed to do them.

The point being that I seem to just have this way of "cracking things" (in my areas of interest, natch), even if it does half kill me at times.

Well, your not really describing anything different from what myself or XBL experience, I am (and I'd imagine he is as well) a motivated guy who enjoys problem solving. My own work has involved trying to crack an age old problem in mathematical modelling, getting to grips with microfluidic theory, trying to produce a precision rig for displacing objects a few microns (still ongoing), trying to measure changes in surface topologies in micron sized volumes, redesigning some of the base equipment I use in order to be more efficient in terms of production steps, and now I'm involved in some other work involving surface acoustic wave transducer design.

I have done MEMS cleanroom design and manufacture, CAD design, analogue and digital electronics, MCU software coding and days of scribbling equations down on paper.

On it's day, it's a cracking project. All the other days, it's a nightmare of failed ambition, time constraints and general wastage. I have ten months left, assuming I don't manage to get an extension or an RA position. I have not really started a write up. Of those ten months I need around two to solidly write the thesis, Of the other 8, I just need some things to finally resolve to get me some definitive results. That's the big if, things are looking up recently and I could be on my way to at least two decent papers in the near future, that would gaurentee my passage.

But it isn't a lot of fun usually.

Edited by renton

All PhDs are like that though. Honestly, its no different.

But I'm someone who likes challenges. When something is put before me that I need to do, I will strive to do it. ....... and more late nights than I'd care to imagine, but I managed to do them.

Ah, such youthful enthusiasm. We were once like you. Really, just like you.

On it's day, it's a cracking project. All the other days, it's a nightmare of failed ambition, time constraints and general wastage. I have ten months left, assuming I don't manage to get an extension or an RA position. I have not really started a write up. Of those ten months I need around two to solidly write the thesis, Of the other 8, I just need some things to finally resolve to get me some definitive results. That's the big if, things are looking up recently and I could be on my way to at least two decent papers in the near future, that would gaurentee my passage.

But it isn't a lot of fun usually.

Writing u;? If I should be so lucky! I have about a year left, and I am miles away from even producing the final experiments. Hell, it doesn't even work yet. Its just so dispiriting to work on. Still, I should be in a position to write a journal paper soon, which like you, should set me on my way.

How funny is it to see the newbie though? Despite our warnings, he just doesn't realise what he's in for! :D

All PhDs are like that though. Honestly, its no different.

Ah, such youthful enthusiasm. We were once like you. Really, just like you.

Writing u;? If I should be so lucky! I have about a year left, and I am miles away from even producing the final experiments. Hell, it doesn't even work yet. Its just so dispiriting to work on. Still, I should be in a position to write a journal paper soon, which like you, should set me on my way.

How funny is it to see the newbie though? Despite our warnings, he just doesn't realise what he's in for! :D

Yeh I know, 'but I'm different, I'm motivated - they treat me like a grown up'..... fresh meat for the grinder. sad really :lol:

What's your collective problem?

Do you take pleasure from trying to demoralise someone when they've only just started? Fucking idiots.

Perhaps you two are thick as shit and are struggling, but I'm not. I have confidence in my own abilities, as do my supervisors. So kindly f**k off.

Edited by Sir Calum Melville

Do you take pleasure from trying to demoralise someone when they've only just started? Fucking idiots.

Perhaps you two are thick as shit and are struggling, but I'm not. I have confidence in my own abilities, as do my supervisors. So kindly f**k off.

But you haven't been there...

Fucksakes mate, lighten the f**k up ya fool :lol:

It's a hard fucking slog, regardless of your perceived brain power or confidence. You will have times where you do just want to jack it in. Other times you'll be flying and it'll be great.

I'd suggest growing a thicker skin while your at it, you can't be so brittle that two strangers on the internet giving you a light ribbing is enough to set you off.

They are trying to give you helpful advice, you don't have to accept it but it is no reason to insult them if their advice is contray to what you want to hear.

They are trying to give you helpful advice, you don't have to accept it but it is no reason to insult them if their advice is contray to what you want to hear.

There's a fine line between giving advice, and bleating on about how hard things get, and how much I'll end up hating it.

There's a fine line between giving advice, and bleating on about how hard things get, and how much I'll end up hating it.

Just think about it, why would they lie? They have nothing to gain from it.

I would suggest they are more impartial than the senior PhD students you have spoken as the latter are likely instructed to get more people in.

:lol:

Seriously, calm down, it might seem harsh, their just telling you they'll be bad times...i don't think either have said it wasn't worth it....

Edited by banterman86