Nom Nom Nom

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Disappointing absence of this thread over the festive period.

Yesterday was easily and unashamedly my fattest day of 2014, starting with a full box of miniature Heroes for breakfast, followed by a Terry's chocolate orange (which was fun because it had popping candy through it). The culmination was however a sandwich composed of a full cheese ciabatta, microwaved for 30 seconds til soft, spongy and chewy + handful of leftover turkey + mashed up roast potatoes + leftover stuffing + streaky bacon + cheddar cheese. Finished off with a generous drizzle of habanero sauce. #h8gh8

Don't know if it's a 'West of Scotland thing' but does anyone make Beef Olives?

Essentially steak/beef tenderised & then wrapped around sausage meat. Cooked slow in gravy & onions & served with mash.

Old school recipe I got from my Gran.

Where does the olive part come in? I get the beef but not the olive. I like olives, and I like beef, but I can't help but feel I've been lied to.

There's no olives. Just the name.

Just Googled it & Simon Howie do it. Also a variation with haggis instead of sausage meat.

I think it's just the shape, no? You've got a bit in the middle and a bit one the outside.

I had an amazing one in France (can't remember what they called it over there). It was veal they used - an escalope wrapped around more minced veal, onion, garlic etc. All cooked in a tomato and white wine sauce. It was amazing.

Now I feel guilty about the fact that the cows wouldn't have been "happy veal". But on the plus side, you could do it with ethical British rose veal nowadays.

• 2 weeks later...