Shinty

thejailender

• 4 weeks later...

Squad announced for the Shinty hurling international 1st test next weekend http://www.shinty.com/news/scotland-senior-men-shinty-squad-announced/

Hope bught park is in better condition last year where a heavy pitch and leaves all over the place played into the Irish hands. I thought we were competitive last time ear, certainly in Ireland so whilst undoubtedly underdogs I would like to think we have a wee chance.

Squad announced for the Shinty hurling international 1st test next weekend http://www.shinty.com/news/scotland-senior-men-shinty-squad-announced/

Hope bught park is in better condition last year where a heavy pitch and leaves all over the place played into the Irish hands. I thought we were competitive last time ear, certainly in Ireland so whilst undoubtedly underdogs I would like to think we have a wee chance.

With both ICT and Inverness City away and I can't travel that weekend, might just go along to this.

How does it work, is this a mix of the two sports played over two games?.

As for the Bucht up here in Inverness autumn has only just arrived and most of the leaves are still on the trees and just starting to turn, I would guess there will be some leaves on the pitch but not much and we have had more rain in the last week than during the whole summer so see how that goes next week to see how the pitch is.

With both ICT and Inverness City away and I can't travel that weekend, might just go along to this.

How does it work, is this a mix of the two sports played over two games?.

Pretty much yeah.

The Irish are allowed to run with it in their hands or their big spoons and get points for missing the goal.

Handling isn't allowed and soloing with the ball on the Bas of a Hurl takes skill

And the Scots stick gives them a clear advantage on the ground

I have done egg and spoon at school and you are right it takes skill.

Anyway I'm being facetious and the stick on the ground is meant to be an advantage which is why I was annoyed at the state of the park last year ( Ireland deserved the win, it's an observation not an option excuse). At croke park it was noticeable how well the Scots were able to knock the ball about on the football pitch.

What will.the ground in Newry be like? Is it a hurling ground or is it set up for football?

• 2 weeks later...

Great win for Scotland today. Looked as good a Scotland team as i have seen.

Irish lads looked like they were struggling to cope with the rule adjustments but i expect them to be fired up for the return leg. Macdonald and bartlett the standout players.

I enjoyed that, despite taking a while to understand the scoring.

aye it always makes it a lot better when it is competitve. scotland managed to negate Ireland's strengths by owning the midfield and not letting them get a head of steam up with the ball. on the occassions that they did you could see how skillful they are and the Irish goals were a joy to watch.

roddy macdonald is a great poacher and having someone like him in the team you always have a chance of goals.

Away leg is being shown on BBC Alba at 17:00 tomorrow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/29735935

I was standing near the Scotland bench last Saturday and I saw how ill Gary Innes looked, he visited the boundary fence behind the TV gantry to be sick at one point. Hopefully he will get more of a chance to play tomorrow.

Bbc, who you would think would know, are saying alba at 5 tomorrow.

Shinty.com and my virgin app saying delayed transmission on sunday.

My freeview says the same, a delayed transmission on Sunday at 4pm. The shinty.com site says the same.

I shall try to avoid the score and watch the match tomorrow, which is ideal as I will be making my way back from the Caley Stadium when it starts.

well, the plus point is Scotland won a test and were in it until the last 10 minutes of the series.

total reversal from the first test, the difference being when the irish dont play well as a team they still had enough threat and skill to get goals. when we were labouring it is all a bit hit and hope. a few wee half chances and stramashes that might have gone for us but macdonald was never in the game.

i think on the strength of this series it is worth persevering with the current format. i think its a hugely important event , more important than just sport, it was good to see it tied in with the Mod in Inverness this year, so long may it go on.

well, the plus point is Scotland won a test and were in it until the last 10 minutes of the series.

total reversal from the first test, the difference being when the irish dont play well as a team they still had enough threat and skill to get goals. when we were labouring it is all a bit hit and hope. a few wee half chances and stramashes that might have gone for us but macdonald was never in the game.

i think on the strength of this series it is worth persevering with the current format. i think its a hugely important event , more important than just sport, it was good to see it tied in with the Mod in Inverness this year, so long may it go on.

Quite unlucky with the final score as you say given that Scotland were in it until the closing stages. Bartlett missed a tremendous goal chance with about 10 minutes to play and Ireland ran away with it after that.

I always thought the old format with 1 game each year was far better. The fact is that the game is a novelty, it's neither shinty nor hurling and to be totally honest it's a pretty turgid contest to watch, far removed from a decent game in either sport. I think it's worth doing to celebrate the ancient link between the sports but surely 1 weekend a year is enough. From a shinty point of view we have seen important games shifted back to November because of this series and the cost of the extra weekend must be significant enough as well.

A big game at the weekend with Skye and Ballachullish playing for promotion to the National League. Next week it's Oban Camanachd and Fort William battling it out for promotion to the Premier League. This is round two after the ref suffered a nasty injury :wacko: in the first game.

Ironically league reconstruction plans have emerged since then and it's pretty likely that the losers in both games will end up winning promotion too. That won't be decided until the end of November though so I'm sure all the teams will be aiming for the win in the games to be sure of going up without needing to await the outcome of a vote.

Edited by Waspie

Well done to the Sgitheanaich, a great season and what a difference a year makes. If the reconstruction goes through, which is looking likely, then I reckon they will be battling Kilmallie for the National League next season.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

He came through for you, Inveraray v Oban Camanachd at the Winterton on the 28th.

Looking forward to the new season. I was at the Lovat Cup at New Year where Beauly deservedly beat Lovat 3-1. Was at the Bught at the weekend to see Newtonmore beat Inverness 7-1. More like a well oiled machine but if its possible to lose by 6 goals and impress then Inverness managed it, played well and created a good few chances. Think they'll do well under Drew MacNeil.