Shinty

thejailender

Caberfeidh 1 Glenurquhart 5. Glens scored twice in first minute, and I think it then took 35 minutes for their keeper to touch the ball. Remarkably they only went in 2-0 up.

Glens then scored twice again in first couple of minutes after restart. So a fair old gulf in quality. The optimist would say Caberfeidh drew the other 85 minutes 1-1!

The famed pie was decent, and top marks to the deli in the square for a magic coffee!!

Found a pile of boulders up a hill - good day on the road as ever!

Next up for me is the Kingussie v Newtonmore cup tie in a couple of weeks.

post-28011-14608372232069_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Coming home from Kingussie v Newtonmore, 2-1 win to Newtonmore. All the goals came in first half, strangely subdued second half. Newtonmore still have that look of a big physical team, Kingussie were very young mainly but much improved since last season I think.

Overheard some nutter at the station talking about his commute to the recent Kyles v Newtonmore game from his home outside Perth. He is on crutches and reliant on public transport, left on the Friday, home on the Monday. As his lift to Dunoon let him down, and there was no public transport, he was stranded in Tighnabruaich for two days. Dedication!

Isn't there one that plays in Perth, Tay Glen, or something like that?

Tayforth. They've moved to Levenhall at Musselburgh in recent years, but used to play at Perth. There's a couple of cracking tales on their Wiki page: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tayforth_Camanachd

For my shame, despite their ground being only five miles from home, I've not made it to a game there yet.

Coming home from Kingussie v Newtonmore, 2-1 win to Newtonmore. All the goals came in first half, strangely subdued second half. Newtonmore still have that look of a big physical team, Kingussie were very young mainly but much improved since last season I think.

Overheard some nutter at the station talking about his commute to the recent Kyles v Newtonmore game from his home outside Perth. He is on crutches and reliant on public transport, left on the Friday, home on the Monday. As his lift to Dunoon let him down, and there was no public transport, he was stranded in Tighnabruaich for two days. Dedication!

Hi Le Tout P'ti FC. I'm the aforementioned nutter. I trust you were the fella I met at Kingussie then got on train to Newtonmore? Nice to meet you at last. I'm back to see the Badenoch league match on Saturday - how about yourself?

Hi Le Tout P'ti FC. I'm the aforementioned nutter. I trust you were the fella I met at Kingussie then got on train to Newtonmore? Nice to meet you at last. I'm back to see the Badenoch league match on Saturday - how about yourself?

Hiya! No, afraid that wasn't me. I arrived onto the platform just before the train pulled in. Caught the tail end of your magnificent travel tale! There's worse places to get stuck than Tighnabruaich, I was stranded in Fraserbrugh once!

• 2 weeks later...

Took in the Glasgow v Inveraray tie in the Celtic Cup semi final today at Yoker. A blistering hot day, full credit to the players for a fairly frantic game.

On arrival I thought the security was a bit OTT at the gate, but it transpired it was just the army team leaving the scene after a narrow extra time defeat in the first tie of the day.

Yoker is a bit of a plane spotters paradise, and there was a regular diversion as plane after plane flew overhead. I felt like I was in West Berlin in 1949 at times.

To the game. Glasgow had the better of the first half, and led 1-0 at half time. The second half saw Inveraray gradually step-up and it was no surprise when they scored twice in quick succession.

Glasgow didn't really get a decent chance to equalise, but will perhaps rue not making more of their first half dominance.

So Inveraray progress to their regular slot in the Celtic Cup final, a game in Taynuilt in June which I'll hope to take in. Weather like today would do just fine.

post-28011-14632521862384_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Quite a story in that Lochaber derby with former Fort William player Duncan Rodger scoring for Kilmallie against his old team. I was at Beauly Inveraray. Very hard fought game in which both sides had chances to win. The Beauly goal just after an Inveraray spell of pressure.

Lovat's cup defence didn't last too long and I wonder when Kingussie last lost a Camanachd Cup tie 5-1!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great day for Kinlochshiel today, winning their first ever senior trophy by beating Inveraray 5-3 in the Macaulay Cup final. Deserving winners and a team who could go on to win more. Great effort by Aray too, hardly any possession but great goalkeeping and defending kept them in it, and took their chances when they came. They might have stolen it when they got back to 3-3. A good final.