Pokemon Thread

Ad Lib

It's not the same playing them on the PC. Loses all the magic of it I think.

Anyway, Sapphire/Ruby are great games. My favourite of all time in fact.

They were the perfect point in the series that it included all the Pokemon from Gen I, all the important ones from Gen II and added tons of new features. Mixing berries, Pokemon contests, running shoes, creating houses/dens, being able to battle trainers multiple times( i think) and double battles were all added at this point. Plus all the Pokemon they added are pretty cool as well.

A very, very good game.

I've not played Gold/Silver/Crystal in well, well over 10 years, so I'm very anxious to pick up HeartGold or SoulSilver. I'm just shocked that it's £60 in most places. Is it because of that PokeWalker thing? How much was the game at release.

Edited by Slim Charles

I've not played Gold/Silver/Crystal in well, well over 10 years, so I'm very anxious to pick up HeartGold or SoulSilver. I'm just shocked that it's £60 in most places. Is it because of that PokeWalker thing? How much was the game at release.

I think that'll be because of the Pokéwalker, maybe it's like a rarity now. If you can find the game on its own then you should be able to get it for much, much cheaper than that considering you've got White/Black then White2/Black2 in between HG/SS and the new games.

Does anyone here play pokemon showdown? It is basically a free-to-play online battling simulator where you can either create your own team or use random teams. I'm pretty hooked on it just now. http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/

I play it quite a lot with a group of friends, I like to think I'm pretty good at it as well. :angel

Though I need to have a type chart open while I play and I've been known to make some horrendous choices which result in "not effective" coming up rather than it being super effective. :ph34r:

I play it quite a lot with a group of friends, I like to think I'm pretty good at it as well. :angel

Though I need to have a type chart open while I play and I've been known to make some horrendous choices which result in "not effective" coming up rather than it being super effective. :ph34r:

Tell me about it! The Fairy/Dark/Psychic/Ghost typings f**k with my head. A rest/sleeptalk/will-o-wisp Spiritomb is unbeatable in UU.

Tell me about it! The Fairy/Dark/Psychic/Ghost typings f**k with my head. A rest/sleeptalk/will-o-wisp Spiritomb is unbeatable in UU.

I'm alright offensively, I know what types are weak to but I'm always forgetting about the resistances. And then when you've got dual types and they mix together, that's when it goes tits up.

I found out like a week or two ago that electric resists flying, apparently that's been a thing since Gen I. I literally can't remember ever encountering that before.

It was bad enough before fairy, the dark/psychic/bug/fighting/ghost chain has ruined me since Gen II.

And then old Pokémon becoming (part) fairy now.

I fucking hate change.

I noticed the fairy type had been added. Who's idea was that, surely that's a fairly stupid type to have just added now. They should have just stayed the same. I'm another in the 'the f**k goes on with psychic, ghost, dark'. I'm always forgetting, although I always remember ghost is super effective on ghost for some reason. :lol:

downloaded GBA emulator and got Fire Red, i forgot how addictive these games were!

Seriously thinking about investing in a 3DS but will probably kill what little social life i have

Has anybody ever played any Pokémon ROM hacks? It's quite interesting to experience a completely new story/region, but if some people are put off playing on the PC, it's maybe not for them. Keeps things quite refreshing and some of them are actually really well done with more adult elements included, such as harder puzzles, humour and references that the creator has put in.

Has anybody ever played any Pokémon ROM hacks? It's quite interesting to experience a completely new story/region, but if some people are put off playing on the PC, it's maybe not for them. Keeps things quite refreshing and some of them are actually really well done with more adult elements included, such as harder puzzles, humour and references that the creator has put in.

I know someone that played BlazeBlack (I think) and he enjoyed it. I think he tried to Nuzlocke it though, needless to say he got fucked.

I've just looked up the Nuzlocke challenge and that's a b*****d that one. Only the first Pokemon in each area and not allowing it to evolve is nasty. As is getting rid of your starter. :lol: must take some amount of patience to level up something like a Pidgey!

Yeah, the hacks tend to make the games much more challenging. A few of the ones I've played increases the difference in levels between wild pokemon and trainers in the same areas and you come up against trainers that have pokemon that work well together and are difficult to get past. I played a hack that was set in a post zombie apocalypse, set in Hoenn. As soon as you get past the forest past Rustboro, I forget its name, there's a Pikachu head on a stick. :lol:

I played Pokemon Snakewood (Ruby hack) a wee while ago. It's quite refreshing to try something new and I enjoyed it. Paras, Koffing and Baltoy are the starters plus a few new Pokemon including Poochyena's final evolution - Gigawolf (pretty much just Zoroark).

Once again, I'm back around to the idea of picking up an older DS so I can play most of the games and try to complete my first Pokedex.

Yeah, the hacks tend to make the games much more challenging. A few of the ones I've played increases the difference in levels between wild pokemon and trainers in the same areas and you come up against trainers that have pokemon that work well together and are difficult to get past. I played a hack that was set in a post zombie apocalypse, set in Hoenn. As soon as you get past the forest past Rustboro, I forget its name, there's a Pikachu head on a stick. :lol:

Yeah, that's Snakewood. :lol:

I'm loving that pokemon showdown thing, random battles is quality, although I keep getting the new geration pokemon which I don't have a clue how to use, let alone move sets. :lol:

I'm loving that pokemon showdown thing, random battles is quality, although I keep getting the new geration pokemon which I don't have a clue how to use, let alone move sets. :lol:

Wait till you encounter one of Smogon's fake Pokémon, some of them are gimmicky and annoying as f**k!

Wait till you encounter one of Smogon's fake Pokémon, some of them are gimmicky and annoying as f**k!

Don't think I've got one of them yet. Although I don't know any of the new gens, so I could well have. Btw what the f**k are you meant to do against a fire/water type. That screwed my head right up. Think I went with just knocking the shit out of it with extreme speed that the linoone I'd been given knew.