Pokemon Thread

Ad Lib

My bad, it was Y I got. So far it's great, my team is

Lvl 7 Pikachu

Lvl 8 Pidgey

Lvl 8 Froakie

I'll also have the mystery gift torchic that's available and after the first badge you have the choice of any Kanto starter, I'm gonna struggle with which one to choose, cause Charizard is of course my favorite. But I already have a torchic.

One badge down, some of the new features are pretty handy, being able to quickly work your Pokemons ev's at a low level helps. Being able to instantly challenge other players for battles or trade while being in the field is great.

Lvl 15 Ralts

Lvl 17 charmeleon

Lvl 17 combusken

Lvl 17 Frogadier(water starter, surprisingly good)

Lvl 20 Pikachu (with light ball)

Lvl 18 Furfrou (poodle thing with great abl to take half damage from all physical attacks)

Still working thru this, I've seen comments on Facebook etc of people powering thru the campaign in 16 hours and saying it's not a difficult game to complete. I've been taking my time and not in any rush to complete it.

Pikachu Lvl 32

Venusaur Lvl 32

Charmeleon Lvl 32

Lucario Lvl 33

Wartortle Lvl 33

Gardevoir Lvl 32

3 badges in, sitting outside the 4th gym. Still enjoying the game, a lot of nice touches to the menu to make healing, etc much quicker. My only minor gripe is the rollerskates, an off switch for them would be nice, find myself constantly missing tight paths etc. Ev training is less of a chore but it's still a grind.

I was lucky enough to get a female charmander when the prof gave me one so I bred it and got a squirtle and Venusaur pretty easy, seems like a broken record as I always use the original starters, but they are still some of my favorites.

If anyone needs a charmander let me know.

The pokemon of this generation are definetly much better than the previous two, not just moves, but types, movesets and such.

Edited by EdgarusQPFC

• 4 weeks later...

I've been playing this, enjoying it so far. Got bored with the last generation games quite quickly, but my interest is being held by this one so far. Haven't really decided who I want in my team, as I'm trying to use as many of the new pokemon as I can. Chose the grass starter, I've mainly been spending my time catching and training to see who I want in my team before I move on to the second gym. The new way the EXP share works is brilliant.

I've been playing this, enjoying it so far. Got bored with the last generation games quite quickly, but my interest is being held by this one so far. Haven't really decided who I want in my team, as I'm trying to use as many of the new pokemon as I can. Chose the grass starter, I've mainly been spending my time catching and training to see who I want in my team before I move on to the second gym. The new way the EXP share works is brilliant.

I've been distracted by other things so I haven't been playing.

My team are all around lvl 50

Charizard

Magnezone

Gardevoir

Gyarados

Salamence

Lucario

Aux team

Venusaur

Blastoise

Blaziken

Pikachu

• 3 months later...

To my absolute shame I've not played a Pokemon game since Sapphire, which is my all time favorite and most played game.

Watching the Twitch plays Pokemon(if you haven't heard, its 80,000 people playing Red at the same time http://www.twitch.tv/twitchplayspokemon) has got me proper nostalgic. So I'm seriously considering picking up where I left off and playing the rest of the Pokemon games.

Am I best buying a DS or a 3DS to do this? Can you still play DS, Advance and GB games on the 3DS? I assume you can at least download them? If I got a 3DS and Pokemon Diamond, could I trade via wifi with someone on a DS?

To my absolute shame I've not played a Pokemon game since Sapphire, which is my all time favorite and most played game.

Watching the Twitch plays Pokemon(if you haven't heard, its 80,000 people playing Red at the same time http://www.twitch.tv/twitchplayspokemon) has got me proper nostalgic. So I'm seriously considering picking up where I left off and playing the rest of the Pokemon games.

Am I best buying a DS or a 3DS to do this? Can you still play DS, Advance and GB games on the 3DS? I assume you can at least download them? If I got a 3DS and Pokemon Diamond, could I trade via wifi with someone on a DS?

You can still play DS games on a 3DS, but that's it. Yeah you can trade with any of the DS games.

You can still trade on your 3DS when playing games of the same Generation but Diamond is two Gens and four sets of games ago so you might not find as many trades in those games.

How many games have came out since Pokemon Gold/Silver?

That was Generation 2, Generation 6 came out last year.

Gen III (GBA) - Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald along with FireRed and Leaf Green (Generation 1 remakes)

Gen IV (DS) - Diamond, Pearl and Platinum along with HeartGold and Soul Silver (Generation 2 remakes)

Gen V (DS) - Black and White. Black 2 and White 2 came out shortly after those instead of making a third game (like yellow, emerald and platinum)

Gen VI (2/3DS) - X and Y. Z is rumoured to be coming out soon, probably the end of the year.

I bought a 2DS last week and have blasted through X, beat the Elite Four last night so I'm just firing through my dex to complete that.

Cheers for the replies.

That's kinda shite that you can't play Gameboy and Advance games on the 3DS. Can you not even buy them digitally and download them? What about the DS, can you download them on that? I know there's an Advance cartridge slot on the older DS'.

I don't think you can legally buy them or download them (yet). You can emulate though I'm not sure about that, never tried to.

There's a GBA slot on the DS and the DS lite but not the DSi.

Always been quite surprised that the earlier Pokémon games haven't been made available on the Nintendo e-shop, imagine it would generate a fair bit of money. A good amount of earlier Zelda, Mario and Kirby games are there, so it's surprising not to have perhaps the generation I and II games available. Has there been any talk about them being put up at a later date?

Always been quite surprised that the earlier Pokémon games haven't been made available on the Nintendo e-shop, imagine it would generate a fair bit of money. A good amount of earlier Zelda, Mario and Kirby games are there, so it's surprising not to have perhaps the generation I and II games available. Has there been any talk about them being put up at a later date?

I haven't seen anything, I guess they didn't want to talk about from the remakes (though obviously at this point, the Gen I remakes are very old and the Gen II remakes are getting there).

I'd be fucking lost going back to Gen I, it'd be exactly the same as when they add in a new type and everything changes. Trying to remember how types work against each other from so long ago would be a nightmare!

Went and ordered a 3DS from Amazon. 8)

#yolo

ended up being £150 for the console + Zelda Ocarina of Time. Pretty decent value that IMO.

Going to go into Game and CEX and see if they have Pearl/Diamond or Soul Silver/Heart Gold at a decent price, because what Amazon were chrarging is pretty ridiculous(£32 for Pearl/Gold and £60+ for Silver/Gold).

I just play them online now. Found a sore that only requires you to create an account and download the thing. (I checked it's clean) then you can play all the games without needing to download them, plus it lets you save them. I've been playing Emerald for the first time and I'm totally lost. I don't remember what's good cause I never played that generation and I've no idea where the hell the gyms are. :lol:

To sum it up, I was hoping to get a Gallade from my Ralts, then discovered that that's a gen VI Pokemon. Oops.

Ohh and another thing, I was having a look and what the heck are those Mega evolutions, I mean the Charizards look epic!!

To sum it up, I was hoping to get a Gallade from my Ralts, then discovered that that's a gen VI Pokemon. Oops.

Ohh and another thing, I was having a look and what the heck are those Mega evolutions, I mean the Charizards look epic!!

I seem to recall trying to do the same thing in my Ruby. I started playing it after SoulSilver and Platinum. I got to the point where you bump into Groudon and you have to catch or kill him to proceed past to the next gym or Pokémon League. I think that's where I got to in Ruby cause I never managed to catch a Ralts to catch Groudon.

You attach a the Pokémon specific Mega-Stone as your held item and in-game, you click a wee box before your move and it'll mega-evolve in battle. Some Pokémon change typing and/or get a stat boost.

Some of them are fucking immense, Mega Mawile and Mega Kangaskhan get amazing abilities when they change. Mawile's attack like doubles and Kangaskhan get an ability where she'll do every move twice with the second one being at like 0.5 power.

Charizard has two, one for X and one for Y. IIRC, the X one changes him to sort of his shiny sprite and he gets tough claws, he also becomes dragon type. The Y one gives him drought.

edit: you can transfer things across using Pokébank. (it's a program on your 3DS that came out recently. You need the Poké Transporter as well. It's a bit of a pain, you need to have the Pokémon in box 1 of your Gen V game, use the transporter to put them into Bank and then put your Gen VI game in and use Bank to put them from it into your game)

Edited by forehead7

I seem to recall trying to do the same thing in my Ruby. I started playing it after SoulSilver and Platinum. I got to the point where you bump into Groudon and you have to catch or kill him to proceed past to the next gym or Pokémon League. I think that's where I got to in Ruby cause I never managed to catch a Ralts to catch Groudon.

You attach a the Pokémon specific Mega-Stone as your held item and in-game, you click a wee box before your move and it'll mega-evolve in battle. Some Pokémon change typing and/or get a stat boost.

Some of them are fucking immense, Mega Mawile and Mega Kangaskhan get amazing abilities when they change. Mawile's attack like doubles and Kangaskhan get an ability where she'll do every move twice with the second one being at like 0.5 power.

Charizard has two, one for X and one for Y. IIRC, the X one changes him to sort of his shiny sprite and he gets tough claws, he also becomes dragon type. The Y one gives him drought.

edit: you can transfer things across using Pokébank. (it's a program on your 3DS that came out recently. You need the Poké Transporter as well. It's a bit of a pain, you need to have the Pokémon in box 1 of your Gen V game, use the transporter to put them into Bank and then put your Gen VI game in and use Bank to put them from it into your game)

That sounds bloody awesome. Shame I don't have the time, nor a 3DS to get the new game. I saw somewhere Z is due out soon. I'll most likely pick it up on an emulator at some point. As it stands I'm playing all the ones I've never done before. Doing Emerald, probably do Ruby/Sapphire as well, although should have done them first. After that it'll need to be the generation VI games, although I competed Platinum on my laptop years ago, only took me 115 hours. Since I hadn't played it for about 10 years and knew none of the Pokemon.