Nigel Quashie

st jjp

Guest BRFC Tartan Army

He was captain for England schoolboys and Under 21's (I think :unsure: ). I think that he obviously wanted to play for England and not us :angry:

Guest TheKiwiBear

The only criticism of Nigel Quashie that can be made has already been pointed out; that is he originally chose to play for England when it looked likely he may have a future as a full English international. That criticism is fair enough.

However, the hypocritical nature of comments about other 'Anglo-Scots' can't be given any integrity whatsoever. Stuart McCall writes about his "patriotic" decision to not run onto the pitch to represent England.

How convinient. Nobody dragged McCall kicking and screaming to the stadium that day, nobody forced him into an England kit, either. He did. He made a conscious decision in the days leading up to that fixture, that yes, he was going to play for England. Yet, following a 40-cap career and a goal at Italia '90, he is held up as a 'good example' of a 'Scottish' player, or what one should be.

Don Hutchison is another case in point. How many of the Tartan Army were busily questioning Hutchison's eligibility when he banged that winning goal past David Seaman five years ago?! Yeah, that's right, probably no-one.

I suspect that Nigel Quashie's eligibility is more to do with 'how' Quashie looks, rather than where he was born. And if thats the case then those people need their heads read. If thats the prevailing attitude amongst the Tartan Army, then quite frankly the TA deserve all the grief they get. Best supporters in the world? Bollocks.

The world has moved on, borders have blurred, bloodlines have crossed, and nationality has almost become relative. So far as I am concerned(and I have my own bias), your nationality should be determined on a combination of several factors, some mitigating:

1) Your bloodline. If you have a Scottish parent, or parents, you are eligible. Regardless of where you were born. If your heart beats for the country where your parent, or parents were born, then that should be good enough.

2) Birthplace. If you were born in Scotland, fine, you're Scottish. If you were born outside of Scotland, have no Scottish parentage or grandparentage, then you're NOT eligible.

Is that simple and straightforward enough? Scottish football is so small, so backward, so in desperate need of an overhaul, a decent player such as Nigel Quashie should be welcomed. That, or you can keep losing to Wales, Holland, France, Hungary, Norway, Myanmar, Equatorial Guinea, Western Samoa, Maldives, and the Faroe Islands.

The Kiwi Bear

Don Hutchison has ALWAYS considered himself to be Scottish. His father is a proud Scot who lives, like so many other proud Scots, in the north-east ofEngland. It was always his intention to play for Scotland if ever he was lucky enough to be chosen. An accent doesn't decide your nationality, your heart does.

Guest TheKiwiBear

There you go then. Proves the point. If Don Hutchison is a Scot, then so is anybody else born outside of Scotland with Scottish parentage, especially if they were raised to be and feel like a proud Scot in their own heart.

But you don't answer the main point I am making.

If Nigel Quashie is being criticised for his lack of Scottishness, or his decision to play for England, shouldn't Stuart McCall deserve criticism for stripping for England 'B', too?

Besides, Nigel Quashie is more Scottish than that English-arse kisser, Bob Wilson.

And Alan "Buckingham Palace Is My Second Home" Hansen should be made to give his Scotland caps back, the treacherous w**ker.

The Kiwi Bear

I agree with Kiwi Bear on this one. Personally I couldn't give a toss how tenous a link Quashie has to Scotland as long as he does the business on the pitch.

It's about time the Tartan Army tossers started accepting the modern football world. While these morons are whinging about English people playing for us we have gradually slipped down the rankings whilst teams like Ireland, France, Holland and a host of other teams have been using the rules to their advantage. Christ, if it's good enough for the former World Champions then surely it's good enough for us?

Quashie is Eligible to play for Scotland and has shown a desire to play for Scotland. Thats good enough for me.

Guest Honest Bob

I'd have Dailly in as captain - he would thrive on it. It would also put less pressure on Ferguson and let him get on with his game. Quashie is a good player and as long as he gives 100% in a dark blue jersey, he's good enough for me - regardless of the politics that put him there!

Guest TheKiwiBear

Nigel Quashie's mum is Scottish. Her parents are Scottish. Quashie has six caps for Scotland, and has scored one goal for Scotland. Quashie is Scottish.

And I happen to think Walter Smith will turn this shower of crap around! Onwards and upwards, as Colin Hendry recently put it!

The Kiwi Bear

If Quashie's willing to take to the pitch and give 100% for Scotland, and he's eligible by bloodline and/or residence, I think he has as much right as anyone else to pull on the strip.

Archived