Nigel Quashie

st jjp

Have always really disliked Barry Ferguson as a player a captain and a person, so Quashie gets my vote be default,

But we can't have an Englishman as our captain surely :angry: that's taking it waaaaaaaaaaaay too far

Guest juan villa-lobos ramirez

He is a scot by way of the rules and is less injury prone (or need rested) like ferguson, he has fight about him and IMO more commanding of a team, saying that Barry has the captaincy for now and I support him for that.

Some stupid Fifa rule doesen't make someone who was born in and lived in England his whole life a Scot, he is an Englishman who plays for Scotland which in my opinon is wrong but that's a different story. My point is it would be a national disgrace if he, or any other non-scot was made captain.

The stupid FIFA rule is what every country uses to their own advantage,especially England over the years. I wasn't happy with Quashie being picked for Scotland in the first place but under SFA rules he is eligible. Scotland has always let people play through their grandparents nationality. There have been many good players over the years who have used that rule to represent Scotland, Bob Wilson, Richard Gough to name but a few. Scotland is facing a stark choice. We can sink down further with a team of born and bred Scots or we can open our minds and try and assemble a 'cosmopolitan' team like everyone else does. Quashie was our best player by a mile on Wednesday. If only we had ten more like him.

Guest BRFC Tartan Army
Some stupid Fifa rule doesen't make someone who was born in and lived in England his whole life a Scot, he is an Englishman who plays for Scotland which in my opinon is wrong but that's a different story. My point is it would be a national disgrace if he, or any other non-scot was made captain.

Couldn't agree more with you ;)

Guest BRFC Tartan Army
Barry Ferguson is an excellent player. Nigel Quashie isn't. Having said that, Quashie's better than any of the alternatives.

Also very true, Barry is head and shoulders above Quashie

Guest Stuttgart Saint

Its a tough one to call.

Everyone (or most) people seem to be on Quashie's back but as long as he has a bit of dig I don't see what is wrong with him playing for Scotland. I admit, I wasn't too happy about an English born player coming into the Scotland team again but he does get stuck in and was our best player against Sweden.

He was born in england, ergo he is english? :unsure:

See nationality thread for full discussion... :lol::P

If he wants to play for Scotland, then from now on to my mind he counts as Scottish. I don't differentiate the Kilted Kiwi rugby players from the rest of the team, so I regard him as Scottish just as much as the other players.

See nationality thread for full discussion... :lol::P

If he wants to play for Scotland, then from now on to my mind he counts as Scottish. I don't differentiate the Kilted Kiwi rugby players from the rest of the team, so I regard him as Scottish just as much as the other players.

To be honest Jim, I am deeply uncomfortable with english people playing for Scotland. In the past we have had the likes of Andy Goram and Stuart McCall who could quite easily have played for england. However, the reason I find it easy to accept them is that they chose to play for Scotland. It wasn't simply a case of them not having a chance of playing for england. I believe McCall was even stripped to come on and told them he didn't want to? :unsure:

Clearly Quashie would've been playing for england if they'd shown the least bit of interest. That, for me, doesn't make him Scottish. It maybe doesn't make him english either but I'm not willing to welcome him with open arms.

And don't try and use an analogy involving rugby. Not today! :angry:

Poofs!

Archived