Oh My God - A New Low In Bbc Sitcoms....

Law Stud

What has happened to the BBC? The company that once screened the brilliant Office and Extras and which still screens Outnumbered appears to have completely lost it. Tonight I am sitting in the office at work doing some paperwork. I thought while here I could put on the iPlayer and catch up on some programmes. I wanted something light and funny and opted for "Big Top". A star cast but possibly the most rancid piece of script writing I've ever seen. They have even manage to contrive to make Tony Robinson sound completely and utterly bored - I mean FFS this is the man who gets excited about digging up bits of broken potties in people's back gardens!!!

That was bad - 30 minutes of my life wasted. Surely nothing could be that bad.......then I clicked on "Not Going Out". I think the BBC should have read the title and took the hint and stopped this bollocks from going out. Who the f**k wrote that shite? And who decided to cast it with comedians who can't fucking act? Jesus it was painful and I gave up after 10 minutes which I'm sure would be 9 minutes 58 seconds longer than most people would put up with it for.

Thank f**k for Sky 1 and Modern Family

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What has happened to the BBC? The company that once screened the brilliant Office and Extras and which still screens Outnumbered appears to have completely lost it. Tonight I am sitting in the office at work doing some paperwork. I thought while here I could put on the iPlayer and catch up on some programmes. I wanted something light and funny and opted for "Big Top". A star cast but possibly the most rancid piece of script writing I've ever seen. They have even manage to contrive to make Tony Robinson sound completely and utterly bored - I mean FFS this is the man who gets excited about digging up bits of broken potties in people's back gardens!!!

That was bad - 30 minutes of my life wasted. Surely nothing could be that bad.......then I clicked on "Not Going Out". I think the BBC should have read the title and took the hint and stopped this bollocks from going out. Who the f**k wrote that shite? And who decided to cast it with comedians who can't fucking act? Jesus it was painful and I gave up after 10 minutes which I'm sure would be 9 minutes 58 seconds longer than most people would put up with it for.

annoyingly I completely agree. Big Top -is one of these things that when reading the cast; Tony Robinson, The old lady from Hi-De Hi, John thomson, Sophie Thompson and only let down by casting of Amanda Holden- you think this SHOULD be good. but having seen a couple of these it can only be described as utterly dire.

and not going out. well this has had a few seasons, but fails to improve. again lee mack, tim vine, miranda hart -in theory this should work for a certain type of comedy and meet some of the audience' needs but no it fails every time on more than one count -including funnyness.

That said, Bobby Ball seems to be doing a bit of acting recently and other than in this -and particularly as the villan in "the fattest man in britain" I have been impressed by his performances.

but neither of stu's choices even comes close to the level of enjoyment to be gained from something such as outnumbered.

I caught 10 minutes of Big Top tonight and wondered why I hadn't seen anybody ranting about it on here. Total dogshite doesn't even come close. At least we now know that it's not only Scotland that's broadcasting that kind of dross. How much money is spent on this puke?

I saw the trailer a couple of times. I had to pick my dropped jaw of horror-stricken disbelief up off the floor each time.

As Exuberant says, with a cast like that it should have been very good. I'm glad to see I didn't waste my time watching it to establish it's exactly the opposite. My personal gripe from the trailor was:

"We have entertainers from all over the world, Russia, China, Uzbekistan...."

"I'm from the Immigration Department Madam"

"....Essex, Kent, Southend".

It's the UK Border Agency; there was no Police presence; he was dressed in a suit and raincoat - no uniform or anti-stab vest; he showed a passport as ID...

Inaccurate, potentially racist and extremely lazy, lame comedy. Hateful! <_<

And the "old lady" from Hi-De-Hi is Ruth Madoc, wife of Philip Madoc, both of whom are classically trained actors. :(

It's made even worse at this time of year because the TV companies roll out repeats of old Christmas specials. I watched a Terry and June one this afternoon. I remember how much stick that got for being too safe but it was actually petty funny and with the office secretary throwing herself at Terry infront of June it was more risque than any of the shit I saw on the BBC tonight. I also watched a Porridge Christmas special which was excellent.

As Exuberant says, with a cast like that it should have been very good.

I said f**k all!

FWIW, Big Top is a shite excuse for a sitcom.

What's Rowan Atkinson doing these days? They should really try to get Not the Nine O'Clock News style sketches back on the Beeb instead of turning out shit sitcom after shit sitcom.

Edit: Try saying "shit sitcom" over and over again. Make sure you don't say "shite" or else it doesn't work properly as a tongue twister.

Another awful BBC shitcom. For every speck of genius like The Thick of It, there's stuff like Big Top, My Family and The Green, Green Grass on the go. All terrible comedies. Disappointing to see John Thomson reduced to this sort of malarky, he was a hero of mine from The Fast Show.

Even more astonishing, for programmes that appear on prime-time BBC, I've never met anyone who watches or enjoys these programmes.

Big Top is pish. Watched the first couple of episodes and thought it was average, thought for the third was shite and gave up half way through.

I like Not Going Out though. Not as good since the stupid American left after the first series, but they made up for that by replacing her with someone hot 8)

Congratulations on introducing me to a brand new experience ... agreeing with you :lol:

Big Top is pish. Watched the first couple of episodes and thought it was average, thought for the third was shite and gave up half way through.

I like Not Going Out though. Not as good since the stupid American left after the first series, but they made up for that by replacing her with someone hot 8)

I like Not Going Out as well, first series was the best as you say. Going to see Lee Mack in March as well, looking forward to it.

Caught the start of 'Big Top' last night and had to pack it in after about 1 minute and 40 seconds. It was simply astonishingly bad.

It actually reminded me of the sitcom within a sitcom in Extras - the one which its creator, Andy was consumed with self loathing about. I think it was called 'When the Whistle Blows' or something. It was meant to be shit, but was genuinely more sophisticated than last night's dross.

It is incredible to think of all the stages and hurdles which must have been negotiated for such a programme as 'Big Top' to reach our screens. What the hell gets rejected?

Caught the start of 'Big Top' last night and had to pack it in after about 1 minute and 40 seconds. It was simply astonishingly bad.

It actually reminded me of the sitcom within a sitcom in Extras - the one which its creator, Andy was consumed with self loathing about. I think it was called 'When the Whistle Blows' or something. It was meant to be shit, but was genuinely more sophisticated than last night's dross.

It is incredible to think of all the stages and hurdles which must have been negotiated for such a programme as 'Big Top' to reach our screens. What the hell gets rejected?

Youth Hostelling with Chris Eubank

Arm Wrestling with Chas & Dave

A Partridge Amongst the Pidgeons

Monkey Tennis

Archived