Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

Long after the event, and his death, the song about Justin Fashanu was questioned and alleged to be racist and homophobic. Nothing could have been further from the truth. It was a celebration of the guy and an indication to others of his acceptance by the Airdrie support at the time. In opposition to treatment he got in the press and at games.

I remember him giving the thumbs up and laughing when we did sing it.

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

It's a moral puzzler right enough. Obviously, offensive racial words that demean people are "a bad thing" but in this instance people are celebrating the guy. It's using a racial stereotype of the black man with great physique and big cock but who is really troubled by this? Is it a fear of sexuality? Fear of black people? Is it objectifying black guys? Answers on a postcard.. 

I think the same guy who wrote that blog wrote one about the way that black players are talked about in the media as being athletic, strong and fast rather than skillful - he used Paul Pogba and Romelu Lukaku as examples.  There's been a lot of discussion in the media about the way that Maria Sharapova described Serena Williams in her book, focusing on her physique and physicality more than her talent.

As I said above, Linford Christie didn't like the way the media wrote about his 'lunchbox' - there are quotes from him here - https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=qvCFAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA136&lpg=PA136&dq=linford+christie+lunchbox+black&source=bl&ots=56XfdsG51L&sig=-BzUBPaIaOzIXC93PJZ6OuGsQd4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj1n_6HwbPWAhWEHsAKHaObDqM4ChDoAQgnMAA#v=onepage&q=linford christie lunchbox black&f=false

Worth noting as well that Christie has done adverts for underwear that refer to his 'lunchbox' as well.

I don't think many Scottish people would beam with pride if someone said an English person said we were all thrifty and hard-drinking, even though they aren't necessarily bad things.  And obviously there is far less history around stereotypes of Scottish people than there are around black people and Scottish people don't experience racism in any way comparable with black people.

57 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I think the same guy who wrote that blog wrote one about the way that black players are talked about in the media as being athletic, strong and fast rather than skillful - he used Paul Pogba and Romelu Lukaku as examples.  There's been a lot of discussion in the media about the way that Maria Sharapova described Serena Williams in her book, focusing on her physique and physicality more than her talent.

As I said above, Linford Christie didn't like the way the media wrote about his 'lunchbox' - there are quotes from him here - https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=qvCFAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA136&lpg=PA136&dq=linford+christie+lunchbox+black&source=bl&ots=56XfdsG51L&sig=-BzUBPaIaOzIXC93PJZ6OuGsQd4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj1n_6HwbPWAhWEHsAKHaObDqM4ChDoAQgnMAA#v=onepage&q=linford christie lunchbox black&f=false

Worth noting as well that Christie has done adverts for underwear that refer to his 'lunchbox' as well.

I don't think many Scottish people would beam with pride if someone said an English person said we were all thrifty and hard-drinking, even though they aren't necessarily bad things.  And obviously there is far less history around stereotypes of Scottish people than there are around black people and Scottish people don't experience racism in any way comparable with black people.

Get  Out, the recent film, tackles all this stuff much better than I can begin to even think about it. 

It's a moral puzzler right enough. Obviously, offensive racial words that demean people are "a bad thing" but in this instance people are celebrating the guy. It's using a racial stereotype of the black man with great physique and big cock but who is really troubled by this? Is it a fear of sexuality? Fear of black people? Is it objectifying black guys? Answers on a postcard.. 

I suppose it's what she suggests in the article. If you believe this one stereotype about black people then it implies they likely believe the negative ones as well.