Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

Gorgie City Farm is alright for what it is. Accessible, donation based, chance to see some animals and play with the park. I wouldn't rave about the place, but donating a fiver to keep it going seems alright to me. You'd spend five times that going to Almond Valley or somewhere like that.

5 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Looks like I've got a tank of diesel for nothing,paid with my card yesterday at the local petrol station checked my bank last night pending transaction was only a £1.
Checked it tonight again and nothing is pending. 

It will come out in a day or so. Pay at pump only authorises £1 then takes the full amount a couple days later. 

5 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Looks like I've got a tank of diesel for nothing,paid with my card yesterday at the local petrol station checked my bank last night pending transaction was only a £1.
Checked it tonight again and nothing is pending. 

10 minutes ago, Rugster said:

It will come out in a day or so. Pay at pump only authorises £1 then takes the full amount a couple days later. 

Petrol pumping knowledge.

1 minute ago, wastecoatwilly said:

So if you only have a £1 in your account it will give you a full tank of fuel?

I think if you're using a credit card, yes, but a debit card will take the full amount immediately.

Guest Moomintroll
Please be confirming the long number on the card. And your mother's maiden name.
Don't forget the last 3 digits on the back of the card.

On 01/05/2019 at 11:58, Ross. said:

The TV license one I feel the need to correct. Hear it regularly that "Only we in the UK would pay it" or patter along those lines, which is complete bollocks. Off the top of my head, Austria, Germany, France and Italy all also have an equivalent.

The bank charges is similar. A lot of other places will charge you for using any service associated with your account.

I just think the British, and Scottish folk in particular need to stop being so fucking whiny about every little perceived hardship they face.

I don't mind the charge per se, but I get annoyed when it was free and you now have to pay. I appreciate ATMs cost money and the bank has to find the cash to provide them from somewhere. When a bank closes the ATM disappears with them. My nearest town has 8 ATMs, 6 are free and 2 charge. There are 2 establishments which have 2 ATMs, 1 is free, the other has recently introduced a 95p charge per transaction. I am amazed at the number of people still using the charge one, despite, in one instance, the other ATM is only 3 paces away.

The nearest ATM to us charges, and always has done, as far as I remember.

Similarly car parking charges were introduced in another nearby town many years ago, and for years I stopped shopping there. I still resent having to pay to park where it was once free.