Procycling thread

myshkin

Marco Pantani set to be awarded the 99 Giro, and Gotti doesn't have a problem with it. Strange one considering Pantani didn't ride the entire course.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/ivan-gotti-accept-marco-pantani-given-1999-giro-ditalia-victory-141914#ymBvi4kSoFo2icZs.30

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://m.cyclingnews.com/news/astana-accused-of-systematic-doping

Astana heavily implicated, but before Nibali of course... They are obviously still at it, Vino has too much previous. Why guys like him and Riis are allowed to run teams I just can't fathom.

ETA: Astana granted licence though :lol:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/12/news/uci-grants-embattled-astana-team-2015-worldtour-license_355639

Edited by Desert Nomad

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else watched Pantani - The Accidental Death of a Cyclist? It's on Netflix at the moment.

The first hour and a half was brilliant viewing, it reminded me why I loved the sport back then. The last fifteen minutes, well, just watch it for yourself and see what you think. It left me a bit annoyed.

The Carrera denim shorts were fantastic, I had forgotten all about them.

• 2 months later...

Cav takes Kurne-Brussels-Kurne. After Ian Stannard taking Omloop Het Nieuwsblad yesterday & Froome's win in the Tour of Andalucia midweek.

I saw Cav's win. A cracker, but Stannard's sounds even better. Didn't seem to be on Eurosport unfortunately.

Paris-Nice starts at the weekend and Tirreno-Adriatico a couple of days later. Starting to hot up.

eta Just read that Froome, Contador, Nibali and Quintana are all starting in Tirreno. Nice!

Edited by printer

Is it Paris-Nice that Wiggo signed on for a bit longer at Sky to try to win? Or another of the Classics?

He's targeting Paris-Roubaix, using Paris-Nice as a warm up. Of course he's won PN before when he was a stage racer, in a land before Froome. Would love to have seen Wiggins change team and challenge for a GT again. Seems he doesn't want to leave Sky though.

Tirreno is an outstanding lineup with a cracker of a summit finish at Terminillo in the race, be great to see an early season duel between the top guys.

Yeah, I wanted Wiggins to leave Sky after his superb 2012 as it was clear that Froome was going to be #1 for the following season. It's a shame he's never gone up against Froome at the Tour with both as team leaders. But Wiggins has always been a bit mercurial with his motivation and I doubt whether he'd really be up for it after his win in 2012. Need to see more of the Classics this year - always seem to miss them!

No contest today. Back in the 2012 Tour, with all the time-trialling, if they were both leaders of different teams - not so sure. Although Froome did have to sit up and wait for Wiggo on at least one of the big climbs...

Shame about Froome, Tirreno was shaping up to be a belter of a race. Still will be good to see some other big names competing this early in the season. Like to see how Uran goes.

On a seperate note, the CIRC report was interesting reading, but still things aren't fully open at the top level of the sport with micro dosing of EPO and designer drugs seemingly prevelent in a number of teams.