Procycling thread

myshkin

Watched the Tirreno prologue today as was off work, quiet start for Contador way back in 60th or so. Uran & Nibali best of the favourites, Quintana back in 80th. Sagan had a black cat run out in front of him, then showed great bike-handling skills when he nearly came off on a corner when it looked easier to go down, then managed a 9th placed finish! Cavendish went well & reasonably placed to take the leaders jersey with sprint bonuses.

Edited by Desert Nomad

That's where it gets really dull - one team pushing a high tempo on the front all the time on the climbs, taking the legs out of the true climbers. Such an anglo-saxon approach.

Long live the mercurial climbers who make the races interesting!

And strong cross-winds. Love to watch echelons!

Shame about Froome, Tirreno was shaping up to be a belter of a race. Still will be good to see some other big names competing this early in the season. Like to see how Uran goes.

On a seperate note, the CIRC report was interesting reading, but still things aren't fully open at the top level of the sport with micro dosing of EPO and designer drugs seemingly prevelent in a number of teams.

Haven't read the report, but heard David Millar's reaction to it on the radio. He seemed to be fuming at what he saw as unsubstantiated allegations from an un-named source. Micro-dosing of EPO - any significant advantage in that?

Haven't read the report, but heard David Millar's reaction to it on the radio. He seemed to be fuming at what he saw as unsubstantiated allegations from an un-named source. Micro-dosing of EPO - any significant advantage in that?

I would think micro-dosing EPO would be in the 'marginal gains' school of doping. I guess domestics in the squad to support the leader in the grand tours over 3 weeks might benefit.

I only read excerpts via Twitter tbh.

Love to see Stybar win it. Have a feeling though that a welsh Sky rider may just step up to the podium.

I fancy Michael Matthews or Van Avermaet for the win. Stybar looks good, might just need it a bit tougher, see him as a challenger for Flanders in the future.

~240km of absolutely bugger all happening, followed by 50km of some of the most fascinating, enthralling racing I've seen in a long time. Genuinely could not pick a winner until Degenkolb had his hands in the air.

Geraint Thomas looked very strong so would expect him to go well in the rest of the classics.

Cav shipped his chain, again, apparently.

Etixx needs to sort out their gear in that case. Twice in a week he's slipped a chain and cost him a chance of winning. He's been using the FSA cranks ahead of them using their full groupset but apparently changed back to the old SRAM one for today and still had the issue.

Straightforward win for Porte in Catalunya. Anything but that in Ghent Wevelgem just now, MEGA crosswinds blowing the field apart. Riders being blown into the ditches at the roadside, making it a complete lottery.