Procycling thread

myshkin

Good first post in the thread. Welcome further insightful delights.

Since you seem so knowledgeable, perhaps you can explain the performance of Alexandro Valverde who finished on the podium quite some time behind Froome?

A convicted cheat. Now riding better than ever, and peaking for the Classics and Tour. Also seems to have made a lot of people forget he was at the centre of the Puerto revelations years back.

You've been spending too long following me on Twitter ;)

See also: record times being set for climbing mountains. Faster than the likes of Armstrong, Virenque, Contador (2009 version) etc, who were known to be off their tits at the time.

Obviously, it's not hard evidence, but it makes you wonder, all the same.

For what it's worth, I'm not actually a Froome fan. I think he's dull as dishwater.

I'm also not "naive" enough to think that no one's doping now. I just enjoy watching a bike race. If I spent the whole 3 weeks ripping it apart and assuming the whole lot was solely down to drug use, then I wouldn't enjoy watching any of it.

I can understand that. To be honest, I've been a sceptic ever since the Festina stuff in 1998. I can still watch it despite that, although I realise it's a massive turn off for a lot of people.

What we thinking for La Vuelta? Landa is an obvious starter, Aru may well support him. Not sure if any of the Tour guys will be up there. Maybe the super strength veteran Valverde. Quintana is also a possibility. Rui Costa and TJVG will probably start after a curtailed TDF.

What we thinking for La Vuelta? Landa is an obvious starter, Aru may well support him. Not sure if any of the Tour guys will be up there. Maybe the super strength veteran Valverde. Quintana is also a possibility. Rui Costa and TJVG will probably start after a curtailed TDF.

[cynicism]

If Valverde starts, Valverde wins. The Spanish like Spanish riders winning the Vuelta ;)

[/cynicism]

SSN stating Froome's keen on starting. As you've mentioned, Landa/Aru would be favourites.

Whilst the Giro/Vuelta double is achievable, the days of a Giro/Tourb or Tour/Vuelta doubles are gone. Keyboshed by those basing their whole season round Paris in July.

SSN stating Froome's keen on starting. As you've mentioned, Landa/Aru would be favourites.

Whilst the Giro/Vuelta double is achievable, the days of a Giro/Tourb or Tour/Vuelta doubles are gone. Keyboshed by those basing their whole season round Paris in July.

I suspect Geraint Thomas will lead Sky at the Vuelta. Froome winning the Vuelta would be a major red flag.

It might have been Porte, but I think he's leaving Sky at the end of the season, is he not?

I suspect Geraint Thomas will lead Sky at the Vuelta. Froome winning the Vuelta would be a major red flag.

It might have been Porte, but I think he's leaving Sky at the end of the season, is he not?

Can't see Thomas doing much in Spain, he's had a heavy season already. They'll go with Henao and hope for the best.

I've seen elsewhere Costa isn't riding which would be surprising.

Forgot to mention Purito earlier, that elusive GT win may just never come, but he'll take out a couple of stages as usual.

Stage 11 in Andorra looks interesting...

post-21367-14380277157876_thumb.jpg

Looking at the GC's from the Giro & Tour, along with who's competed in the latter or both . I think the Vuelta's a stick on for Aru or Landa.

Unless Cobo or Horner make an appearance, of course?

Edited by kiddy

Good first post in the thread. Welcome further insightful delights.

Since you seem so knowledgeable, perhaps you can explain the performance of Alexandro Valverde who finished on the podium quite some time behind Froome?

A convicted cheat. Now riding better than ever, and peaking for the Classics and Tour. Also seems to have made a lot of people forget he was at the centre of the Puerto revelations years back.

Valverde had a very packed and successful classics season. It is amazing that his last two seasons have been so successful, much better than 2010 when he was banned. He was, however, primarily a domestique for Quintana at the TdF. If Froome's performance is to be compared with anyone, it should be Quintana. Like Quintana, Froome had a relatively light racing programme as he focused on training for the TDF.

Froome benefited from having more team mates than to support him at key times in the mountain stages. I am as suspicious of Sky as anyone. When comparing Sky against other teams, it's important to focus on the performance of the domestics. The real surprise was Geraint Thomas who could have made the podium if he had not crashed.

Froome has now agreed to physiological tests to address the doping allegations. All the top GC contenders should undergo the same tests so that they can be compared fairly and comprehensive. The UCI should obtain and publish the power data, with expert analysis, too. Regular dope/physiological tests and transparency is the only way to identify and eliminate the cheats.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

Unless Cobo or Horner make an appearance, of course?

Horner :lol: I'd forgotten all about that!

The media touting Thomas to lead Sky at the Vuelta but like others have said, he's already had a long season. Doubt he'll do much on the roads outside a few Classics next year either if he's looking at Rio.

^ Don't remind me of Horner, the most ridiculous GT tour win ever. He struggled to get decent contracts after that victory which tells you what the other WT teams thought of it.

It was the look on Nibali's face as Horner just fcuked off up the road, on the Angliru! :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by kiddy

Who is the team leader? Landa is rumoured to be signing for Sky.

Think you can safely say, Landa will be riding in support of the Italians.

Mind you, that's unless he takes the Cunego attitude to his leaders?

Edited by kiddy

Who is the team leader? Landa is rumoured to be signing for Sky.

Nibali, I would guess, depending on how he's recovered from the Tour. He did look much stronger at the end of the Tour than in the middle of it, mysteriously.

Aye, Landa's off to Sky (ETA: apparently he is anyway). Sir Dave hates dopers so much he's signing guys from Astana.

Edited by Sarto Mutiny