The P&B Slow Cooker Owners Club

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That looks cracking.

Not used mine all that much - got a slow cooker recipe book kicking about somewhere so might bust that out again this weekend. Curries are fantastic in it - especially if you batter in spinach and some lentils, gives it a good consistency without being too watery.

Made a beef chilli con carne just before Christmas - proper 'cut-the-beef-with-a-spoon' type shenanigans.

Going for a cycle tomorrow so will have a bit of beef bourgignon set up.

Beef

Stock

Bacon

Shallots

Mushrooms

Red wine

Flour

Herbs de provence (will need to concoct own herbs cocktail if i cant find it)

Stock and red wine will be 50 50 to cover ingredients. Should be easy.

Made a fig and thyme lamb tagine last week. Was a bit meh, particularly the reheated batches. Figs are too sweet.

Scroll back on this thread.

I've been raving about it for ages and even posted a simple recipe.

It's still "the" best thing I've made in mine.

Got one the other day. Tis is the first thing I'm trying in it. Better be f'king good UTN :P

Happy to say, I'm a proud owner of a 3.5ltr Slow Cooker.

Got one as a present at christmas & have already done a fabulous beef stew over new year. I will attempt something a little more adventurous in time having found this thread and flicking through a very good recipe book called One Pot.

My limited advice to fellow newbie 'slow cookers' would be; for a great beef stew, the longer in the pot the better. It really does help to get those complex flavours fusing together.

To the slow cooker experts - when using mine I always have the issue where the sauce/gravy is runny and doesn't reduce (presumably because it's never brought to the boil). How do I get around this issue?

As obvious as this may sound, add less water at the start. I'll sometimes tilt the lid slightly so it's not as firmly shut so the excess water can evaporate out rather than hit the lid and drip back in.

To the slow cooker experts - when using mine I always have the issue where the sauce/gravy is runny and doesn't reduce (presumably because it's never brought to the boil). How do I get around this issue?

If you are making beef or lamb, chuck a tablespoon or two of flour over it as you brown it. Keeps the juices in the meat and also flour thickens the sauce a bit.