The Next St. Mirren Manager....

You pays your money and you takes your choice...  

450 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you are being over-sensitive regarding the Hartson thing.

You are right, I am. And that's meant a "p***kly" reply to your post, so sorry for that. I just hate the attitude that if someone has connections with the old firm then they automatically become a better choice. McDowall at least seems to have some reason for being linked with us, and considerably more experience than Hartson, so in that case the old firm connection is not the main emphasis.

John's a fantastic servant of the club and despite being much maligned by our support is a great pro and a good guy.

Fair enough but I think Potter could still play another 3 or 4 seasons and I don't know if he knows too much about management.

Kenny Mcdowall would be a great appointment.

Is he a realistic target though?

Yes and possibly.

He's not come out and said he doesn't want the job and he's not one of the bookie's favourites for no reason. Whether he would come I suppose is all down to the club's position when it comes to finances and remit. He's also, I believe, working without a contract at Rangers so no compensation would be required.

Fair enough but I think Potter could still play another 3 or 4 seasons and I don't know if he knows too much about management.

yup. He'd still be a better shout than jack Ross.

Hartson would be a terrible appointment, the stress of our support would probably put him back into full blown ball cancer and do him in.

I hope your correct about Gimour as all the info coming out of the club seems to suggest he's lost the plot.

I'm not so sure there is a new owner waiting in the wings so the next couple of weeks will prove interesting.

Lost It!!! He never had it to lose. Remember Gilmour was the chancer that appointed John Coughlan as manager and told the press he himself had scouted a wonderboy in Mark Crilly :rolleyes:

Lost It!!! He never had it to lose. Remember Gilmour was the chancer that appointed John Coughlan as manager and told the press he himself had scouted a wonderboy in Mark Crilly rolleyes.gif

I remember speaking to George Campbell at the time of Crilly signing and he genuinely thought the lad had great potential.unsure.gif

Crilly did look like he had potential. I don't remember you complaining about the lad before we bought him, yet when he failed to achieve the potential you've never shut the f**k up about him. There have been considerably worse players to grace the turf.

Mo Camara....tongue.gif

Mo Camara....tongue.gif

I could forgive Gus almost anything but that!

TBH I am sad that he was dismissed in this way. but, we've got no say, I just hope the board get the right man for the job and we go up instead of sideways or down.

Lost It!!! He never had it to lose. Remember Gilmour was the chancer that appointed John Coughlan as manager and told the press he himself had scouted a wonderboy in Mark Crilly :rolleyes:

Boy, you've really got a lot of mileage out of the Mark Crilly thing over the years, haven't you, Goatse? And much as I hate to stop you mid-chug, but perhaps we should all stop a moment to remember what Stuart Gilmour actually said, as every time you bring it up it's getting closer to him claiming Crilly was Kaka, Ronaldinho and Socrates rolled into one.

"I think people will be surprised at the calibre of the player we're bringing in."

That's it. That's all he said. A guy brought in from Stirling Albion, and the chairman intimates that he might be better than people might assume, given their assumptions about the Binos' level of personnel. It's not going to make the all-time list of hyperbolic quotes, now is it (and how convenient that Ivan Golac has been in town this weekend, if I needed a point of comparison: the man who said Jerren Nixon was worth £15million. That's hyperbole, Goatse.).

John Coughlin was a dismal appointment, but given that the club was utterly rooked and couldn't afford to both pay him off and pay the wages of a new manager, those of us not in the huff over our text-messaging scheme could see why there was a depressing, unavoidable inevitability about his appointment.

Stuart Gilmour's tenure will be remembered for his presiding over a near-miraculous turnaround in St Mirren's fortunes, from staring oblivion in the face to being debt-free, new stadium, new training complex and a sustained period of top-flight football.

Tragically for you, the great ledger of history will not have any room left over for Gilmour's oversight in failing to indulge the Rupert Pupkin-like ambitions of a deluded uber-fan who truly thought his day in the sun had come.

goatsemoticon2196552gx6.gif

Whereas you told all and sundry about what a magnificent signing Chris McGroarty would be.

Wonder where he is plying his trade now :rolleyes:

I'd like Jack Ross player/manager with John Robertson as assistant. Jack has a good footballing brain and has his coaching badges. Robertson would help getting us goals and experience would help Jack along the way. It would be a cheap option that we should try for the first few months of the season to see how it goes.

I doubt Jack Ross will be getting a contract at all next summer, he has played poorly this season and has had a bad injury.

Hartson would be a terrible appointment as well, the man has no experience at any level and would be a big gamble. Out of all the candidates I would quite like Derek Adams, he has been excellent at County and would relish a chance in the SPL, the compensation is obviously a problem but it is a risk I'd be willing to take.

I wouldn't be adverse to McDowell, Caldewood or Mixu either.

In all likelyhood it would be Millen but if Gus has another job lined up I wouldn't be surprised if Millen joined him as assistant.

Whereas you told all and sundry about what a magnificent signing Chris McGroarty would be.

Indeed. I remember Stuart gushing over McGroarty's performance in a game in which he played against Raith Rovers which he was at.

I checked it out and it turned out that McGroarty didn't even play in the game! :lol:

At least I usually check out the facts before I make up my own lies. :lol:

As HPDS stated, Stuart Gilmour will not be remebered for signing Mark Crilly - every single club buys shit players. He'll be remembered for taking over the club when they were £3 million in debt, staring relegation to the Second Division in the face and the plug was about to be pulled by Bill Barr. He'll be remembered for standing up at the egm in 1998 and making a stand against the buy out by Reg Brealey when it was about to go through and stopping it. He'll be remembered for putting together a consortium that put over £1 million into the club to save the club. He'll be remembered for building a brand new stadium, a brand new training complex and taking us back into the top flight of Scottish football and keeping us there.

I can only hope that the new owners - whoever they may be.... and there is more than one potential buyer right now - take the club to the next level.

As for the new manager, the leading candidates are Kenny McDowall & Willie McStay. McDowall is on twice what Gus was on however and Gus himself was one of the best paid managers in the SPL outside the Old Firm.

Billy Davies is an outside bet - don't know exactly what his circumstances are but it looks like he wants back to Scotland. Neil Lennon is a possibility if he doesn't get the Celtic job.

Personally, I'd like to see us apppoint someone who played a ruthless route one long ball game....

Archived