No longer following Jum after his recent shite, but I did find it funny that shortly after tweeting his Courier column saying "The problem here to use an old adage is that ‘a lie is halfway around the world before truth has its boots on’," - Jim quote tweets an image of election results with Lorna Slater in last place, except of course he doesn't mention those are her 2017 UK election results and not 2021 where she was elected...

43 minutes ago, Swarley said:

Playing with fire, I've decided to block Elon Musk. No doubt I've now appeared on one of his hit lists and my account will mysteriously disappear.

I don't think you can block the man child anymore.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/2/14/23600358/elon-musk-tweets-algorithm-changes-twitter

I won't name the tweeter, but on the Nicola Sturgeon thread @Richey Edwards pointed to one guy openly fantasising about the rape and murder of Nicola Sturgeon. Richey, being a good guy, reported the tweet as did @DeeTillEhDeh and @Leith Green

Apparently though the tweet was fine. Twitter, under Musk, have no problem with this kind of thing. No safety rules broken, no problemo.

leslie-nielsen-nothing-to-see-here.gif

7 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I won't name the tweeter, but on the Nicola Sturgeon thread @Richey Edwards pointed to one guy openly fantasising about the rape and murder of Nicola Sturgeon. Richey, being a good guy, reported the tweet as did @DeeTillEhDeh and @Leith Green

Apparently though the tweet was fine. Twitter, under Musk, have no problem with this kind of thing. No safety rules broken, no problemo.

The tweet has actually been removed by Twitter now.

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

I was wondering if I should have reported it to the police. It is a malicious communication after all.

Not a violent person by any stretch but if someone spoke about anyone like that in my presence, I'd want to boot their teeth out.

Edited by Richey Edwards

1 hour ago, Rugster said:

The tweet has actually been removed by Twitter now.

From what Richey said it looked like the guy’s account was locked and wouldn’t be unlocked until he removed it, which he now has. I know it’s nitpicky, but that means Twitter have looked at it (whether by human or automated process) and decided it’s not serious enough for a ban. It’s only lack of alternative that’s keeping me anywhere near it just now, and I’m watching Christopher Bouzy’s Spoutible thing with some interest. 

30 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

From what Richey said it looked like the guy’s account was locked and wouldn’t be unlocked until he removed it, which he now has. I know it’s nitpicky, but that means Twitter have looked at it (whether by human or automated process) and decided it’s not serious enough for a ban. It’s only lack of alternative that’s keeping me anywhere near it just now, and I’m watching Christopher Bouzy’s Spoutible thing with some interest. 

Ah I see. If that is the case then it’s absolutely fucking shocking. 

3 hours ago, Rugster said:

Ah I see. If that is the case then it’s absolutely fucking shocking. 

I know right.

Posting such a hateful, offensive, vile, disgusting thing should see the poster permanently banned and receiving a wee visit from the police.

Locking the account until the poster removes the post is an absolute joke. I am absolutely disgusted by that. Fucking wankers.

On 11/02/2023 at 22:54, bennett said:

You can imagine all the celebrities telling him that he looks great and then laughing their heads off.

*They/them

6 hours ago, scottsdad said:

5 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

I was wondering if I should have reported it to the police. It is a malicious communication after all.

Not a violent person by any stretch but if someone spoke about anyone like that in my presence, I'd want to boot their teeth out.

4 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

Reported the tweet too, twitter initially saying it didnt breach its community guidelines, appealed the decision and it was upheld. Unfortunately twitters community guidelines largely align with US free speech laws where although that tweet is a crime in the UK twitter will generally edge on the side of the tweeter than the offended. 

Regarding that tweet I don’t really understand how it couldn’t breach guidelines. Unless they don’t count it as a direct threat, which would be pretty obtuse.

I think if I was a public figure or even well known I wouldn’t use Twitter personally. There is clearly a deranged subset of people in society.

On 16/02/2023 at 17:42, ICTChris said:

Regarding that tweet I don’t really understand how it couldn’t breach guidelines. Unless they don’t count it as a direct threat, which would be pretty obtuse.

I think if I was a public figure or even well known I wouldn’t use Twitter personally. There is clearly a deranged subset of people in society.

Helena Kennedy was saying today it's becoming more common to say you'd like to see someone raped and murdered rather than threatening to do it yourself, presumably because they think it will give them some protection against prosecution.