44 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Alex McCammond would've been 17 or 18 when she wrote those things. She should have known better by that age, but I don't think it's really fair to use that as a stick to beat her with now. If she'd been convicted of hate crime against Asians for example then it's a different matter. 

Says she went voluntarily but I doubt she was really given much of a choice there, to be honest. Offered the chance to save face I would say is the more likely reality. 

This. I don't think there's any doubt she was offered the choice to decide to turn down the offer or have it turned down for her.

I see why they made that decision but I think we have to allow folk to be able to change their views on things. If not then what is any of this for? All depends whether she genuinely looks back on some of the stuff she's said and see's exactly what was wrong with it and has worked on herself and her own opinions or whether really she's just crying crocodile tears and doesn't see anything wrong with calling out this kind of stuff when it's against her but being quite happy to crack racist jokes against other folk. Not sure there's any way to know which is the case for certain.

2 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

This. I don't think there's any doubt she was offered the choice to decide to turn down the offer or have it turned down for her.

I see why they made that decision but I think we have to allow folk to be able to change their views on things. If not then what is any of this for? All depends whether she genuinely looks back on some of the stuff she's said and see's exactly what was wrong with it and has worked on herself and her own opinions or whether really she's just crying crocodile tears and doesn't see anything wrong with calling out this kind of stuff when it's against her but being quite happy to crack racist jokes against other folk. Not sure there's any way to know which is the case for certain.

I think she's pretty unfortunate, but given the fallout of the Adam Rapaport/Bon Appetit stuff last year Condé Nast are gonna be hugely sensitive to these issues and staff pressure. Fwiw I haven't seen anything from the staff suggesting that they wanted her sacked but rather "an internal conversation" about values etc, which at face value is pretty much how you'd want these things to be handled and allow that growth and air clearing to happen. It's defo between her and the big wigs that she's gone.

I'd also be a bit hesitant to remove almost all her own agency and assume she was pushed when there's nothing concrete to suggest that (not that I'm suggesting you are). 

16 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I'd also be a bit hesitant to remove almost all her own agency and assume she was pushed when there's nothing concrete to suggest that (not that I'm suggesting you are). 

I mean aye it could be that after conversations about it she doesn't think she's the right person for the role. I suppose I'd find it weird that she thought she was up until the tweets were brought to their attention. Seeing as she obviously already knew about them.

1 hour ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

She had some tweets that she had forgotten to delete about "Asians" from 2011. Seems genuinely remorseful and beyond that but has taken the probably correct decision that it's a very bad look to be editing a magazine for teenagers when it's now well known that as a teenager you held some pretty crummy views and somewhat damages your credibility in certain matters.

It'd be interesting to see the age profile of people who read Teen Vogue to be honest.  And she did delete the tweets years ago, screenshots were circulated.

It's obviously going to be an increasing feature of public life. My son's 16, been on Twitter a couple of years and there's some spicy stuff. Nothing he should be ashamed of or can't back up, but some people might hold it against him in future and some employers (who he probably wouldn't want to work for) might see him as a troublemaker.

I think Teen Vogue wummin was 18 or 19 when she posted her bad stuff, which is frankly too old to be at that stuff. But it was 10 years ago and it might not be who she is today. That said, her partner recently had to resign from his White House job after bullying a female journalist so you never know.

35 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I mean aye it could be that after conversations about it she doesn't think she's the right person for the role. I suppose I'd find it weird that she thought she was up until the tweets were brought to their attention. Seeing as she obviously already knew about them.

Aye it's all a bit odd. Tbh it maybe is the most likely situation, in which case it's another big f**k up at CN as they either knew it was an issue and thought "there's nothing in our very recent history that means this will be newsworthy " or didn't bother to look into it at all. Bizarrely 10 year old tweets aside she seems to come out of this pretty well, and I don't doubt she'll be at an equally prominent and well paid position somewhere else relatively soon. 

My issue is more with the conflation of this and the "you can't say anything these days" chat as it's obviously a bit more complex than that, and I think assuming someone has been chucked feeds into that even if it's not the intention. Again, speaking generally as opposed to directing it at you. 

49 minutes ago, throbber said:

Galloway is undoubtedly a c**t but I wouldn't know he existed if it wasn't for Scottish Nationalist Twitter reacting like Pavlovs dogs and amplifying him every time he posts stupid shit.

Its almost as if he isn't actually stupid but just shameless  and happy to bare his arse for the grift.

11 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Galloway is undoubtedly a c**t but I wouldn't know he existed if it wasn't for Scottish Nationalist Twitter reacting like Pavlovs dogs and amplifying him every time he posts stupid shit.

Its almost as if he isn't actually stupid but just shameless  and happy to bare his arse for the grift.

I don’t mind him so much when he does his radio shows but he is such a twisted , shit stirring, dangerous piece of work on twitter.

13 hours ago, throbber said:

If he was really that concerned about the threat he would be reporting it immediately himself to the police rather than leaving it to “colleagues” and bothering to tag in two newspapers. Publicity seeking c**t. 

Edited by Rugster

12 minutes ago, Rugster said:

If he was really that concerned about the threat he would be reporting it immediately himself to the police rather than leaving it to “colleagues” and bothering to tag in two newspapers. Publicity seeking c**t. 

Exactly, you’d want to play it down as much as possible if you were genuinely concerned for your well-being. He complains about how divisive nationalism is but he is without doubt the biggest shit stirrer that either side of the debate has to offer.

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

Aye it's obvious he's drawing on the same sort of dark money as the Spike Online mob and the Quilliam foundation.

Well even if that's true his transparent income is from the Russian state. Call me old fashioned but I don't believe you should be able to stand for election whilst taking the coin from another state. Eck is another obvious example.

3 minutes ago, 101 said:

Well even if that's true his transparent income is from the Russian state. Call me old fashioned but I don't believe you should be able to stand for election whilst taking the coin from another state. Eck is another obvious example.

There are a couple of fairly obvious reasons why the UK government will never bring that rule in.