Aberdeen's new stadium

I know Pittodrie is hardly the best looking stadium in the country but it fits all the fans we need and building a new stadium is going to waste money that could be spent on better players. Aberdeen FC say they will run a bus service in and out of the city center, which will undoubtedly not arrive within an hour of it leaving Loch Loirston. 

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can hardly say were glory hunters when we haven't experienced any real glory since 1996.

You should of had a go at the First Division title since then though. Damn the SPL for denying The Dons a chance of a trophy.

The idea of the new stadium is to make money, not spend money, just like what St. Mirren did.

Yes but it will be a good 5, 6 years before we make any money from it, so until then there will be huge cutbacks in transfer budgets and wage budgets - which is the last thing we need.

I know Pittodrie is hardly the best looking stadium in the country but it fits all the fans we need and building a new stadium is going to waste money that could be spent on better players. Aberdeen FC say they will run a bus service in and out of the city center, which will undoubtedly not arrive within an hour of it leaving Loch Loirston.

Do any Aberdeen supporters support the proposal? Was talking to my brother, who's had a season ticket at Pittodrie for years, about this tonight. He can't see how the club can avoid a drop in attendances if they move to Loirston (after the novelty ears off at least), unless it coincides with a sharp upturn in the club's fortunes. Walking to the ground and having a couple of pints on the way is as much a part of Saturdays as the match itself for a fair percentage of supporters. I can see the point about the greater potential for expansion and the opportunity to have good training facilities attached to the ground, but is this more important than risking the average attendance dropping to 6000?

Do any Aberdeen supporters support the proposal? Was talking to my brother, who's had a season ticket at Pittodrie for years, about this tonight. He can't see how the club can avoid a drop in attendances if they move to Loirston (after the novelty ears off at least), unless it coincides with a sharp upturn in the club's fortunes. Walking to the ground and having a couple of pints on the way is as much a part of Saturdays as the match itself for a fair percentage of supporters. I can see the point about the greater potential for expansion and the opportunity to have good training facilities attached to the ground, but is this more important than risking the average attendance dropping to 6000?

I understand that, but if fans can't make the short journey to the new stadium due to them not being able to have a pre game pint and then walk to the game, then they are shite fans. I know plenty of guys who travel from different towns to get to games, having the ground at Loirston is no excuse for not making games, get the bus, drive your car.... if they are not willing to do that then they can hardly class themselves as supporters

I understand that, but if fans can't make the short journey to the new stadium due to them not being able to have a pre game pint and then walk to the game, then they are shite fans. I know plenty of guys who travel from different towns to get to games, having the ground at Loirston is no excuse for not making games, get the bus, drive your car.... if they are not willing to do that then they can hardly class themselves as supporters

Yes, but traveling by bus or car if you live on the north side of Aberdeen is going to be more than just a hindrance, if the Aberdeen bypass is finished before the new stadium is opened then it will help a lot but the bypass is absolutely essential in ensuring lots of fans still go to the game. If the bypass is not there i will not be renewing my season ticket.

Yes, but traveling by bus or car if you live on the north side of Aberdeen is going to be more than just a hindrance, if the Aberdeen bypass is finished before the new stadium is opened then it will help a lot but the bypass is absolutely essential in ensuring lots of fans still go to the game. If the bypass is not there i will not be renewing my season ticket.

some fan you are, what is the maximum mileage that fans would drive to see their team?rolleyes.gif

some fan you are, what is the maximum mileage that fans would drive to see their team?rolleyes.gif

It's more a time issue, driving from one side of the city to the other whilst many of the 12000 or so are trying to do the same. If we were playing Dundee United some of their fans would get home before us.

Maybe a bit harsh? Again using my brother as an example, at the moment he takes the bus from Dundee to Aberdeen for every home game, then walks to ground, and is happy to do so. If the club moves to Loirston, he'll probably have to get a service bus that takes the best part of an hour back out of the city, then do the same to get back into Aberdeen to get his bus back to Dundee. He'll probably still do it, but I wouldn't class him as a 'shite fan' if he started to feel it wasn't worth the effort some weeks, given the amount of time and money he has poured into a team that has underperformed for much of the twenty-two years that he's had his season ticket. He might be in a minority, but many clubs do have a lot of regular supporters that live a good distance from the club, who might feel that having to make any more effort than they already expend is just not manageable or worthwhile.

Maybe a bit harsh? Again using my brother as an example, at the moment he takes the bus from Dundee to Aberdeen for every home game, then walks to ground, and is happy to do so. If the club moves to Loirston, he'll probably have to get a service bus that takes the best part of an hour back out of the city, then do the same to get back into Aberdeen to get his bus back to Dundee. He'll probably still do it, but I wouldn't class him as a 'shite fan' if he started to feel it wasn't worth the effort some weeks, given the amount of time and money he has poured into a team that has underperformed for much of the twenty-two years that he's had his season ticket. He might be in a minority, but many clubs do have a lot of regular supporters that live a good distance from the club, who might feel that having to make any more effort than they already expend is just not manageable or worthwhile.

I was referring to the fans from Aberdeen itself who wouldn't show up to a game because they couldn't get a drink from a pub and then walk to the game, but it's a different story if they are coming from another city, although again there will be available transport to the new ground I'm sure.

When do Aberdeen have to declare they are wanting to move before any building work will actually start happening? Like the big chair said, do the dons not need to be out of todders before too long?unsure.gif

I was referring to the fans from Aberdeen itself who wouldn't show up to a game because they couldn't get a drink from a pub and then walk to the game, but it's a different story if they are coming from another city, although again there will be available transport to the new ground I'm sure.

When do Aberdeen have to declare they are wanting to move before any building work will actually start happening? Like the big chair said, do the dons not need to be out of todders before too long?unsure.gif

think you'll find that the deal was that either the sale of pittodrie would be used to pay off the debt (and accumulated interest, all of which has rolled up to add to the overall debt) or the bank would renegotiate the terms of the debt

of course, renegotiating the debt was planned before the banks did their three mile island impression and in the current economic climate i can only imagine that the new terms of that debt would involve numbers that exist only in theoretical mathematics given the banks new persona as hard nosed loan shark b*****ds, something that as a rangers supporter i'm sure you are only too aware of

Archived