Aberdeen's new stadium

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there is no need for Aberdeen to build a new stadium it would be much easier for them just to redevelop the away stand which will save them alot of money and possibly get a few more seats

huh.gif right. How exactly? Their ground is up against the road on the Merkland and Main stand sides... and the land behind the South stand doesn't belong to them. They'd have to rebuild the stand not much bigger than currently (losing capacity in interim) and still have 2 old stands + a ground not fit for the 21st Century (pitch dimensions, maintanence costs, parking, hospitality facilities, UEFA criteria, etc.)... + Doesn't selling Pittodrie "in effect" pay for new ground i.e. money can only be released, debt assisted etc. with a new ground by selling old?

there is no need for Aberdeen to build a new stadium it would be much easier for them just to redevelop the away stand which will save them alot of money and possibly get a few more seats

Please read the following...

Having been Aberdeen Football Club's home for more than a century, there is no doubt that when the time comes to relocate, it will be a monumental wrench for everyone connected with Aberdeen Football Club to leave Pittodrie Stadium. It has been the scene of so many memories - good and not so good - through the years and arguably, the spiritual home of AFC.

However, the bottom line is, for the Club to continue to thrive and flourish in the decades to come, remaining at Pittodrie is simply not an option, for a number of reasons.

The Cost of Redevelopment

Three of the current four structures would have to be demolished and rebuilt and would have to be undertaken in a phased approach over a period of approximately five years. A conservative estimate for the costs would be in the region of £30m.

UEFA Stadium Infrastructure Regulations

A redeveloped Pittodrie would need to comply with the standards of a Category 3 facility as set out in the above, requiring a playing surface of 105m x 68m with increased run off areas (5m) around the touchline. Given the constraints of the surrounding streets, the footprints available for new stands will be reduced for the Merkland, Main and South stands which coupled with best practice guidelines necessitating larger seats, additional leg room, superior disabled facilities, larger concourses, more toilets and vomitories will dramatically reduce the capacity of the redeveloped stadium to approximately 12,000. As many supporters will be aware, the Club did attempt, unsuccessfully, through the years to purchase the then adjacent gasometer and former Gray's Timber Yard.

Capital Contribution

The new stadium will enable Aberdeen Football Club to sell the existing site and consequently make a substantial contribution towards the capital cost of the new arena and this would clearly not be available should the existing site be retained and redeveloped.

Reduction in Income Streams

Given the reduced capacity, were the Club to remain at Pittodrie, income streams would considerably reduce which, when added to the cost of redevelopment, the lack of sales proceeds and the timescales involved, would lead to unacceptably high debt which could never be serviced, let alone repaid, rendering the whole process unviable. The new stadium will only be developed once funding is fully identified and in place. The Club will require to demonstrate that any debt carried into the new stadium will be serviced and repaid from the additional revenue opportunities and operational savings the stadium can deliver.

It is also acknowledged that it is imperative for the cost of the stadium to be 'stand alone' without any impact whatsoever on the ongoing operational budget for the football squad.

Training Facilities

It is our aim to incorporate associated training facilities adjacent to the new arena, something simply not feasible at Pittodrie Stadium, and discussions regarding this are ongoing.

In summary, as a consequence of the above, the redevelopment of Pittodrie cannot be considered as an option for the future home of Aberdeen Football Club. The site at Loirston offers the only viable and deliverable option within the boundaries of the City of Aberdeen and the location has been chosen and approved by Aberdeen City Council.

http://www.afc.co.uk/page/PittodrieNoMore/0,,10284,00.html

Why? The club is not going to be averaging the high end of the teens on a regular basis anytime (the 3 biggest games in their history... 2x CWC SFs + SuperCup Final... drew 24k 23k +22k, at the height of their powers);

To be fair, they were full houses.

Looks fantastic, much better than i imagined it would, but 2 questions spring to mind, La leyenda

1 - do you think it will ever be built like that?

and

2 - all that glass, visiting fans; good idea or not?

1 - I don't see what part they would need to change. I would expect minor changes would happen (like they always do) and of course the planning application has only just been submitted - who knows what the outcome will be - but I don't look at that and see anything that looks undeliverable.

The glass bit on the corner are offices, ticket office, club shop and musuem. There is also a supporters bar overlooking the walkway. I suppose if anything had to be scaled down you'd start there, but how much exactly is that contributing to the cost?

2 - In the same way plastic seats are easy to break?

We get seats in the away end broken after almost every visit from Rangers. Bill gets sent to Ibrox, and look at the effect its had on them.

Let's remember "the government" are paying for part of this already, aren't they wink.gif?

The government aren't funding anything towards Aberdeen's stadium.

Will it look odd with 3 full-size stands, + one different?

You mean like Parkhead? Or Ibrox? Or Hampden? Or Murrayfield? Or Old Trafford? Or the new Easter Road? Or..............you get the picture.

The two questions I would like to ask Aberdeen fans:

1 - Do you think it will ever be built

2 - If yes, how exactly is it being funded? Up to £40m?!

1 - If the council approve the planning application, then yes, I think they will. The club in fairness are very determined to make it happen, perhaps more determined than they are to see a winning team on the park, and the business people that they are they'll get it built.

2 - Stuart Milne has promised to fund it himself if he has to, however I don't think he'll need to actually pay out £40m of his own money.

The sale of Pittodrie I would suggest will earn between 10 - 15 million.

The naming rights of the stadium will no doubt be sold for a sizeable figure. Emirates paid £100m for 15 years at Arsenal. We obviously won't command that (and actually wouldn't need to), and of course at the other end of the scale Livingston only commanded a five figure sum for a three-year-deal with Braidwood Motor Company. However, being a prominent club in Scotland, and with the chance always there we'll be regular visitors to Europe, I think we'd perhaps be looking for at least 10% of what Arsenal got, perhaps for a longer term (20 - 25 years).

The Dons have also offered local investment opportunities to businesses. I don't really know what they would get out of investing in the stadium, I'm not that business savvy, but if Ian Wood can simply donate £50m to fund a civic square in Union terrace gardens, then I'm sure others will be happy to have their name branded alongside the new stadium.

I would reckon we would probably manage to raise a conservative amount of £20 - 25 million, with add ons from local investment. We may even sell Frazer Fyvie for £10m to seal the deal. As long as the costs don't spiral out of control, then I don't think its actually a great deal to Stuart Milne to pay off the rest.

I suppose there is a lot better chance than Hearts 51 million stand.

If the council put money as a community stadium then yes it will be but Aberdeen council is skint so for that reason i can't see it. Another option is Stewart Milne compnay to put the cash forward for us to pay off bit by bit. I think its unlikely but they are really pushing for it so you never know.

I suppose there is a lot better chance than Hearts 51 million stand.

If the council put money as a community stadium then yes it will be but Aberdeen council is skint so for that reason i can't see it. Another option is Stewart Milne compnay to put the cash forward for us to pay off bit by bit. I think its unlikely but they are really pushing for it so you never know.

That's what I was meaning earlier on by way of Government. It isn't national government, but it's still local government, and their budgets are in the frame for major cuts in the next 2-3 years it seems (not to mention their finances were in a shambles before the recession etc.).

You've got to look at such a situation and say that fieldsport arenas... especially one mainly for one football club... are top of expendables list.

Still, hopefully.

That's what I was meaning earlier on by way of Government. It isn't national government, but it's still local government, and their budgets are in the frame for major cuts in the next 2-3 years it seems (not to mention their finances were in a shambles before the recession etc.).

You've got to look at such a situation and say that fieldsport arenas... especially one mainly for one football club... are top of expendables list.

Still, hopefully.

I'm almost certain both AFC and ACC have stated there will be NO cash coming from the Council for this stadium and it is no longer a "Community Stadium" as a result. This is why Milne and AFC had to come to the arrangement they did with Cove Rangers for their new stadium and training facilities.

The plans and sections are quite detailed which shows that they are serious about this move. It could really lift Aberdeen, a fresh start in new surroundings.

Most certainly. Furthermore, while we'll now never be able to host the Euros alone or in a joint bid, it could be used as part of a bid for the World U-20 Cup or Euro U-21s or such like. [unfortunately, the position of many SFA officials seems to be there isn't huge global exposure from those = not worth doing... maybe that will change in future].

You've got: Hampden, Easter Road rebuilt and fully compliant, Rugby Park is pretty up-to-scratch, New Pittodrie, Tannadice, the new parks at ICT + Falkirk (both got space for large temporary stand), perhaps one of the Lanarkshire grounds or Broadwood or Greenhill Road.

Alternatively perhaps a Club World Cup bid using host clubs park (Ibrox/Parkhead) + Hampden / ER / New Pittodrie.

Its been pointed out before that the council aren't funding the stadium.

Most certainly. Furthermore, while we'll now never be able to host the Euros alone or in a joint bid,

Yes we could, if we host it with the North or England, and use stadiums from Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Sunderland and Middlesborough.

Then Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen, and possibly a joint stadium in Dundee, would be all we would need.

Our problem is we keep suggesting hosting it with a countries that don't border us.

Yes we could, if we host it with the North or England, and use stadiums from Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Sunderland and Middlesborough.

Then Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen, and possibly a joint stadium in Dundee, would be all we would need.

Our problem is we keep suggesting hosting it with a countries that don't border us.

Don't be utterly ridiculous. If the top half of England were wanting to host it, who do you think they'd be more likely to join with... Scotland, or the other half of England? How would it work for qualification - if they're providing half the stadiums, or more, surely they're going to want to qualify? And if they are, why wouldn't they just do it themselves (like they did in 1996)? Does UEFA even allow "unofficial" joint bids by parts of other nations anyway? Who finances it... Scotland alone? Scotland + northern councils?

Does Dundee need a 30k-seat arena (or a new arena full-stop)?

You could have suggested we co-host it with Brazil, it's as likely as having 5-6 out of 9-10 stadiums from northern England.

Ultimately the Euros now requires 9-11 cities + 10-12 stadiums... even the 4 Celtic nations can't realistically raise that between them.

Don't be utterly ridiculous. If the top half of England were wanting to host it, who do you think they'd be more likely to join with... Scotland, or the other half of England? How would it work for qualification - if they're providing half the stadiums, or more, surely they're going to want to qualify? And if they are, why wouldn't they just do it themselves (like they did in 1996)? Does UEFA even allow "unofficial" joint bids by parts of other nations anyway? Who finances it... Scotland alone? Scotland + northern councils?

Does Dundee need a 30k-seat arena (or a new arena full-stop)?

You could have suggested we co-host it with Brazil, it's as likely as having 5-6 out of 9-10 stadiums from northern England.

Ultimately the Euros now requires 9-11 cities + 10-12 stadiums... even the 4 Celtic nations can't realistically raise that between them.

We could co-host with Portugal. :D

Must say I`m very impressed. If I`ve got my Aberdonian geography correct, is the new location by the loch just where the road leaves the A90 at Cove?

Obviously fantastic for away fans travelling by car or coach, but what about home fans? It does seem a bit far from town(5 miles?). What about fans travelling by train? Would there be any possibility of creating a station at Cove?

Not a chance of it getting past the drawing stage unless millions of 'cash' can be put up front. Banks just don't have the money to throw around anymore and everyone knows the government has not got the cash ether. Now had it been in London :rolleyes:

We could co-host with Portugal. biggrin.gif

Sadly, it's another example of the "punch above our weight" / "wha's like us" situation. If major populous countries like Poland and Ukraine have to unite to host the 16-team tournament... the Scandanavians are talking about a 4-way to barely reach the number required for 24-teams... we have no chance of hosting it ourselves, or even with neighbouring partners. None whatsoever, sadly.

A bid involving all 4 Celtic nations could conceivably deliver 10 cities: Glasgow (Hampden), Edinburgh (Murrayfield), Aberdeen (New Pittodrie) plus Dundee (Community White Elephant Stadium) from Scotland; the mooted National Stadium, in Belfast; Cardiff (Millennium) plus Swansea (a rebuilt Liberty Stadium) from Wales; and Dublin (Lansdowne Road), Cork (largely rebuilt Pairc UiCaoimh), and Limerick (largely rebuilt Gaelic Grounds)...?

I'm sure someone will now say: "we could use Ibrox + Celtic Park + Easter Road + Cardiff City Stadium + Croke Park"... they're all in the same city as ones already on the list. Glasgow would only ever have 1 anyway - you can't have 3 and all hell would break loose if you picked only 1 of the OF.

However, that relies on a bid between 4 countries; has poor-ish transport arrangements, not to mention hotel facilities?; needs the GAA to put a big gap in their season to assist a rival sport; presumes the major redevelopment of several stadiums; and hopes it can beat less complex bids!!

I'll be very surprised if New Pittodrie actually happens, as I can't see the club alone raising the cash. But even if it does, it'll mean nothing to bids for Euros, as they're dreams.

How can a place like Brighton get a new 22,500 seater stadium, while much bigger Aberdeen gets a 21,000 seater? This worries me.

According to Wikipedia, the population of Brighton & Hove is 256,000... the population of Aberdeen is 184,000. Plus, Brighton wil have waited 16 years for new stadium rolleyes.gif. Omens...

Archived