E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

Quite a simple one for you guys no doubt, how do you quote someone from one thread and then include it on your reply on another thread on here?

I don't know if it still works since the upgrade, but it used to be that if you clicked the multiquote button for the post you want to quote and then hit "add reply" at the bottom of the page in the thread you wanted to quote it in, it would show up there. You can give that a shot, or if that doesn't work, click the "reply" button for the post you want to quote, copy/cut everything that comes up in your reply box, then go to the other thread, hit "add reply" or use the fast reply function and paste it all in there. You can type your response underneath it as normal.

I don't know if it still works since the upgrade, but it used to be that if you clicked the multiquote button for the post you want to quote and then hit "add reply" at the bottom of the page in the thread you wanted to quote it in, it would show up there. You can give that a shot, or if that doesn't work, click the "reply" button for the post you want to quote, copy/cut everything that comes up in your reply box, then go to the other thread, hit "add reply" or use the fast reply function and paste it all in there. You can type your response underneath it as normal.

Thanks, will try that the next time.:)

So, laptop memory low. I've tried deleting programs I don't use to no avail. It keeps coming up that there is no memory to the extent that no updates can be received nor can it scan the computer. I wondered if it was i-tunes so I uninstalled this which has made no difference to the memory and now I can't re-install as there is no space. Arrrrghhhh. Any ideas of what this can be. Is it likely to be my i-tunes library that is using up all the memory? I'm at a loss to how to free up any more space tbh.

So, laptop memory low. I've tried deleting programs I don't use to no avail. It keeps coming up that there is no memory to the extent that no updates can be received nor can it scan the computer. I wondered if it was i-tunes so I uninstalled this which has made no difference to the memory and now I can't re-install as there is no space. Arrrrghhhh. Any ideas of what this can be. Is it likely to be my i-tunes library that is using up all the memory? I'm at a loss to how to free up any more space tbh.

Firstly, is it memory or is it disk space?

If its memory, deleting things wont make any difference, you just have too much running at once. If its disk space then there are a few programmes you can get that will show you whats using up space on your disk - treesize free for starts. A good starting point, if this is the problem would be to run the disk cleanup (right click on the drive in My Computer > properties > disk cleanup) That will delete temp files and empty the recycle bin. THen defrage the drive too (right click on the drive in My Computer > properties >tools > defragment now)

Firstly, is it memory or is it disk space?

If its memory, deleting things wont make any difference, you just have too much running at once. If its disk space then there are a few programmes you can get that will show you whats using up space on your disk - treesize free for starts. A good starting point, if this is the problem would be to run the disk cleanup (right click on the drive in My Computer > properties > disk cleanup) That will delete temp files and empty the recycle bin. THen defrage the drive too (right click on the drive in My Computer > properties >tools > defragment now)

Disk space I think. Sometimes when I'm on facebook and pnb it asks me constantly to cleanup disk. I deleted my itunes library and space fell by 11.1 gb. That allowed me to re-install itunes. Suspect I'll just have to lump it.

Disk space I think. Sometimes when I'm on facebook and pnb it asks me constantly to cleanup disk. I deleted my itunes library and space fell by 11.1 gb. That allowed me to re-install itunes. Suspect I'll just have to lump it.

In that case, get yourself an external hard drive. You can pick them up reasonably cheaply now - a 1Tb on ebuyer is under £50. Use that to store your itunes library and any pics, docs etc you have and just leave your programmes on the laptop drive.

Can someone tell me to get rid of this? I've tried typing the "Quarantined From: ... " into Windows Explorer but nothing comes up.

post-20107-0-05998400-1303392124_thumb.p

If I click on the link, it takes me here.

Edit - I've went onto the McAfee Security Centre, but it doesn't say that anything is wrong... I also ran a quick scan and there were no reported problems

I also tried to back-up my files to the external hard-drive, but this came up;

post-20107-0-62992200-1303392988_thumb.p

What's going on? :(

Edited by Smurph

Can someone tell me to get rid of this? I've tried typing the "Quarantined From: ... " into Windows Explorer but nothing comes up.

post-20107-0-05998400-1303392124_thumb.p

If I click on the link, it takes me here.

Edit - I've went onto the McAfee Security Centre, but it doesn't say that anything is wrong... I also ran a quick scan and there were no reported problems

I also tried to back-up my files to the external hard-drive, but this came up;

post-20107-0-62992200-1303392988_thumb.p

What's going on? :(

Have you tried doing what it tells you to do in the pop-up?

Yeah, I've typed that in, but it keeps saying I'm typing it in wrong - but I am not. :(

At a guess, you need to find the hard drive called "harddiskvolumeshadow copy", or whatever it is and then find the "Users" folder. You should be able to follow the rest from there

At a guess, you need to find the hard drive called "harddiskvolumeshadow copy", or whatever it is and then find the "Users" folder.

That's a virtual location. It doesn't exist on the disk. he needs to disable shadow copying for shared folders by following the instructions here (ignore the bit about Trend Micro).

Can anyone tell me if it possible to block a standard user account being able to create new user accounts on Windows 7? I've discovered that my son has been getting around his parental controls by creating a new user account and then deleting it once his session is over. I had thought only an administrator account could create a new user, but apparently not.

At a guess, you need to find the hard drive called "harddiskvolumeshadow copy", or whatever it is and then find the "Users" folder. You should be able to follow the rest from there

That's a virtual location. It doesn't exist on the disk. he needs to disable shadow copying for shared folders by following the instructions here (ignore the bit about Trend Micro).

I ran a full McAfee system scan, and it said two files were infected with viruses, and both have been fixed (one of which was the one there screenshot was of - the other said fakealert aswell) I also ran a back-up to the ext. hard-drive and that was successful unlike the last time. I would assume that's it fixed now?

Edit- as an aside, how can I find out my DSL/cable *number*? (i.e DSL/cable (256K))

Edited by Smurph

I ran a full McAfee system scan, and it said two files were infected with viruses, and both have been fixed (one of which was the one there screenshot was of - the other said fakealert aswell) I also ran a back-up to the ext. hard-drive and that was successful unlike the last time. I would assume that's it fixed now?

Edit- as an aside, how can I find out my DSL/cable *number*? (i.e DSL/cable (256K))

Not really sure what you mean, or why you need it

Not really sure what you mean, or why you need it

When trying to download something it sometimes asks the speed of your connection (?) It gives you the option of DialUp, DSL/Cable 256K, DSL/Cable 756K and 1T (I think those are the options). They all come with different estimated download times.

I don't need to know, but Steam asked what it was before I installed.

When trying to download something it sometimes asks the speed of your connection (?) It gives you the option of DialUp, DSL/Cable 256K, DSL/Cable 756K and 1T (I think those are the options). They all come with different estimated download times.

I don't need to know, but Steam asked what it was before I installed.

Ah. It'll be somewhere between DSL/Cable 756k and 1T. But its not really that important