The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

What? Do you go to watch bands jump about or listen to them?

You go for the music, but if they're just standing around playing it then it's a bit boring. Put some fucking effort in. That's why I'll continually see Iron Maiden, no matter the price, whenever they play up here. They put on the best live shows.

He played drums and guitar on alive or just breathing, Jesse was in the band at that time so what are you on about?

It would be pretty fucking hard to play both in the actual band. It was just a wee throwaway comment about how with Jesse returning it's natural to look at it as going back to the old lineup, but when you think about it they haven't played with this lineup before so it might be interesting to see how that changes the dynamic of the band not just from the Howard-era, but also from the first time Jesse was there, as it's effectively a new 3rd incarnation rather than going back to anything. If that's okay with you weesacs?

To clear up the Killswitch debate -Here's a video of them playing with Jesse on Vocals and Adam on Guitar before Jesse left. For further proof just watch the My Last Serenade music video.

As for "jumping around" I don't specifically judge a band on them going crazy on stage. I prefer to see/ hear something different from the album and be entertained at the same time. Mastodon play flawlessly but are simply boring to watch. Much like Opeth.

Um, not really. You said Jesse hadnt been in the band when Adam D was on guitar, absolute nonsense. Who played drums when they toured? Or did Tom Gomes just not exist?

Right, i've already pointed out that it was just a throwaway comment to say that it's natural to think of them going back to their old lineup, but from an interest point of view you could think of it as a new 3rd lineup, which might be cool to see how that brings a new dynamic to the band, rather than actually returning to anything.

But seeing as you insist on being picky as f**k rather than discussing something that might be musically interesting for some people (and being a professional musician myself, it is a bit), then i'll answer your questions.

Who played drums when they toured? - Adam, because he was the drummer. Pete Cortese played guitar along with Joel.

Did Tom Gomes not exist? - Yes, he did...but not until after AOJB was released in 2002, at the same time Adam switched to guitar. Within a couple of months of this (during which they did the video for MLS), Jesse left and Howard joined.

So you're right in that there has been a total of about a couple of months where Adam was on guitar and Jesse was on vocals, but even at those times the drummer was playing Adam's drum parts. It's a bit different to having a fixed and settled lineup and I'm sure you can see the point i'm making, but if you're more interested in picking apart semantics rather than discussing the development of the band you're apparently a fan of, then fire in.

Ah, you're a professional musician? Why didn't you say so earlier! That obviously makes your opinion completely valid.

You said they hadn't played together, I said they did and they have. No need to get upset and arsey just because someone pointed out you were wrong.

Who gives a f**k anyway? They're going back to the original line-up (Foley aside) and its hopefully going to be great. Times of grace gives us a bit of an idea what it might be like and it's certainly promising.

I never said it had any reflection on my opinion of anything, I said it was the reason I found it interesting.

The fact is, they have never been a fully functioning band (writing, recording and touring) with this lineup, and im interested to see if that makes a difference. The only way that's wrong is if you deem an overlap of a couple of months where they didn't really do anything, as being enough to be considered an actual lineup. If you do, then fair enough, but to end up here from a one-line throwaway comment I made which you decided to try and pull apart for the sake of a handful of live shows....there's only one person being arsey there.

Edited by Al B

A wee question about Rammstein

why is there no setlists of theirs on Setlist.fm? I find that really odd, plenty of deathstars setlists who's supporting them but none of Rammstein, have they put a ban on any setlist uploads or something?

You got it in one.

Rammstein were great last night. I'd seen a lot of YouTube videos of their live performances but nothing prepares you for seeing them in the flesh. I was near the middle of the standing area, right beside the "command centre" and even there I could feel the intensity of the heat when their various flamethrowers went off.

Since I was standing at the "command centre" I was literally 10 feet away from them when they walked onto the stage and for the first encore which was done in the middle of the arena.

I got home 2 hours late as someone had got hit and killed by a train outside of a Newcastle about 20 minutes before my train was due to leave. It did give me a chance to explore the city centre a bit and found a great wee football book/memorabilia shop.