The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

Gojira were incredible, confirmation that when I first saw them my thoughts that they are one of the best live bands on the planet were not just the result of being wrecked.

This is kind of related to tonight but applies to gigs in general, applies to the metalhead thread more than any other though so asking the question here. What are peoples thoughts on mosh pits? I've always utterly loved them and happily jumped in them going mental at the vast majority of metal gigs I've been to. However before Gojira tonight we decided to jump upstairs just to see what it was like as none of us been up there and realised the view and sound are fantastic and there's a bar you don't have to queue for ten minutes at. Satyed for Gojira coming on but while watching I couldn't help looking towards the floor rather than the stage again and again, and wondering why I enjoy pits. Looking down on one in such a confined you can't escape the impression that it's utterly fucking stupid. However, towards the end of the gig I still couldn't resist heading down there and joining in myself. Are the P&B masses fans of some pitting?

Gojira were incredible, confirmation that when I first saw them my thoughts that they are one of the best live bands on the planet were not just the result of being wrecked.

This is kind of related to tonight but applies to gigs in general, applies to the metalhead thread more than any other though so asking the question here. What are peoples thoughts on mosh pits? I've always utterly loved them and happily jumped in them going mental at the vast majority of metal gigs I've been to. However before Gojira tonight we decided to jump upstairs just to see what it was like as none of us been up there and realised the view and sound are fantastic and there's a bar you don't have to queue for ten minutes at. Satyed for Gojira coming on but while watching I couldn't help looking towards the floor rather than the stage again and again, and wondering why I enjoy pits. Looking down on one in such a confined you can't escape the impression that it's utterly fucking stupid. However, towards the end of the gig I still couldn't resist heading down there and joining in myself. Are the P&B masses fans of some pitting?

Can't say I'm fan of them from a participation point of view but it can be an awesome sight where a massive circle pit forms.

Not really metal I know, but I couldn't think of anywhere else to put it.

Soundgarden are on Jools Holland tonight at 10pm on BBC2.

Chris Cornell is one of my heroes :wub:

Hmm Soundgarden were a bit meh. Just like their Download set really.

I dont what it is, but anything live of them Ive seen since they reformed has been underwhelming :(

Are the P&B masses fans of some pitting?

Enjoy the odd moash if it's that type of gig but for the most part would rather just pay attention to the music. The best pits I can recall where I got proper involved were Strapping Young Lad at Donington in 2006 and Cavalera Conspiracy the same place a couple of years later.

Are the P&B masses fans of some pitting?

It depends. I'm a very small, very thinly built guy so going into heavy pits at metal gigs is usually a no no. However there have a been a few (Deftones and Suicidal Tendencies at Download(s) and one at a Less Than Jake gig) and I didn't come out the other side too much worse for wear.

It just depends on the crowd, if it was a Glasgow crowd full of massive heavy metalheads then I'd probably avoid. I should say though, it's not the fear of being trampled or anything - everyone in pits are always fantastic and pick you/others up as soon as they fall - it's just it doesn't seem worth it if I take an absolute pounding.

Gojira were fucking amazing!! I loved every minute of it. On the pitting issue. I used to love a good pitting session, and used to spend whole gigs in there. Nowadays I like the occasional pit and just sitting back and enjoying the music.

I guess it also depends on the band also. If its someone like Mastodon or Metallica, where the music is rather spectacular then im more likely to focus on it. Say its someone like hatebreed, where its more kind of just agressive then im more likely to pit alot.

On an unrelated note. This band that supported Gojira were spectacular and iv been listening ever since. They sound like Pantera but with slightly heavier vocals. This song is my fav of theirs-

Jazz piano, skat singing and saxophone. Phenominal

What are peoples thoughts on mosh pits?

Honestly, I don't understand why people do it. The first and hopefully only mosh pit that I was involuntarily involved in was at Sabaton in 2008, when some w****r shoved me from behind and I hit the guy in front, who shoved me out the way and rammed into the guy behind me. I was stuck in the middle and had to "mosh" my way out. I Didn't enjoy it at all.

I've been standing on the periphery of mosh pits twice since (coincidentally both Sabaton, in 2011 and on Sunday just past) and still don't understand why people do it, especially when some six foot six monster of a guy entered the pit.

I also remember standing maybe 20 feet from the mosh pit when I saw Lamb of God support Heaven and Hell, when some dreadlocked w**k burst from the pit hitting people on his merry journey. One of his targets included my dad, whos glasses went flying across the hall. If he hadn't disappeared before the specs were found I would have hated to seen the damage my dad would have inflicted. He's still seething about it five years on.

Having seen a few horrific injuries resulting from mosh pits, I don't know why people voluntarily wade into the pit.

Yeah i cant stand mosh pits either, like you, i was on the periphery of the pit at Evile a coupla weeks ago and was busy trying not to get smacked (thankfully i did have a small defense of 3 people in front of me) rather than watching the band, because there was some pretty beefy guys in there and if you got hit you'd know all about it.

Anyway whos ready to for days of ringing ears after Anthrax/Motorhead tonight 8)

Edited by DavieCFC

Quite enjoy the odd pit myself. Wouldn't go in every time but by the same token I couldn't imagine going to a Machine Head show and not running around in circles. I agree its an odd practice though.

Separately, Deftones at the Barras has sold out! And the new album is oot and aboot for anyone who fancies a listen.

Gojira were fucking amazing!! I loved every minute of it. On the pitting issue. I used to love a good pitting session, and used to spend whole gigs in there. Nowadays I like the occasional pit and just sitting back and enjoying the music.

I guess it also depends on the band also. If its someone like Mastodon or Metallica, where the music is rather spectacular then im more likely to focus on it. Say its someone like hatebreed, where its more kind of just agressive then im more likely to pit alot.

Once you get older (as we all do) it's stand at the back and have a beer or two or three ...

Once you get older (as we all do) it's stand at the back and have a beer or two or three ...

Oh aye, I agree one hundreed percent. As I say I used to enjoy it but the older I got im with the whole beer at the balcony/bar scene.

Gojira were awesome on Tuesday.

Have to admit, I didn't fancy the Garage as a venue but it was quite decent. Certainly much better than the Cathouse for the Black Dahlia Murder.

Love a good pit when its a decent pit and a good crowd. i.e. Circle pits at Machine Head, Walls of Death etc.

I don't like it when it's just a few randoms wankers in the middle of the crowd swinging their legs and fists at anyone who comes near them.