The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

It just sounds like it's off Death Magnetic which although was a decent enough album, will never be as good as their first five albums.

Will anything? Although I have to say DM probably slots somewhere in my top 3 Metallica albums. The only thing they have done in their own name that is complete drivel is St Anger.

Load and Re-Load are 2 of the best rock albums around. No....not metal, but does that really matter?

I think if any band on the planet has earned the right to do whatever the f**k they want, it's Metallica. But then, is a metal band putting out a blues-rock album really selling out? Or is selling out more akin to a metal band putting out metal album after metal album after metal album...because they know their fans will buy it?

A metal band doing things that aren't metal isn't selling out....it's risky as f**k! Doing what you want, even though it may absolutely tank, is the opposite of playing safe.

Also bear in mind that the 2 songs they initially played live pre-Death Magnetic, ended up being chopped up and cut up into about 4 different songs. I think it's fair to say Lords Of Summer won't be a song title on the new album, and that the best couple of riffs will probably make up the bones of a couple of other, completely different songs.

Edited by Al B

Having looked through the albums that I've picked up this year I can't help but notice a distinct lack of metal.

Anyone heard anything decent so far this year or is it the case that we're going to get an overload of top quality riffage later in 2014?

Stuff i'm looking forward to:

Triptykon - april

Vader - May

Agalloch - May

Opeth - summer

Mastodon - summer

At The Gates - 2014

Machine Head - 2014

Wolves in the Throne Room - 2014

Tool - ???

Tool used to average an album every 5 years so they are now taking the piss a little. They do however make consistently great albums so maybe taking forever isn't such a bad thing.

Looking forward to Opeth of course and hopefully Tool. Crazy to think it has been nearly 8 years since 10,000 Days came out. In Flames, Falloch and Dimmu Borgir are the other bands that should have new albums out this year that I'll be wanting to hear.

Clucking bell - eight years since I worked in Embra, eight years since I've seen them, eight years since new material!

i thought the Crosses album from chino moreno's side project was really good although thats not quite metal. Im looking forward to the new sabaton album although the song they released was not as good as i expected.

Hopefully Machine Head, mastodon, In Flames and Syqem all realise albums which are as good as they should be.

A few decent one's i have heard.

Massacre - Back From Beyond

Nocturnal Breed - Napalm Nights

Skull Fist - Chasing The Dream

Chrome Division - Infernal Rock Eternal

Looking forward to.

Autopsy - Tourniquets, Hacksaws & Graves

Prong - Ruining Lives

Crowbar - Symmetry In Black

Impaled Nazarene - Vigorous And Liberating Death

:o

:P

That's the usual reaction. Think i've saw MH live about 3 or 4 times due to being at other concerts/festivals, but i just don't get it. Don't get me wrong Burn My Eyes and to an extent The More Things Change are decent but The Burning Red/Supercharger ( :lol: ) and then the re-invention with TTAOE, The Blackening, I just never got that into them. Also Robb Flynn is a total jobbie.

To be honest I think most have at least one widely loved band that we just don't like so I know what you mean. Mine is Slayer...one or two tracks that I like (the intro to Dead Skin Mask is my message alert tone), but I genuinely just don't get it, I think they're awful. So yeah...I get what you mean in a general sense.

To be honest I think most have at least one widely loved band that we just don't like so I know what you mean. Mine is Slayer...one or two tracks that I like (the intro to Dead Skin Mask is my message alert tone), but I genuinely just don't get it, I think they're awful. So yeah...I get what you mean in a general sense.

they're my favorite band :lol: