The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

Thinking aboot it, saw the heaven and hell Dio tour but £80 is steep considering the state of Ozzy.

No bill ward on this tour?

That's more like it, need to find out what recent stuff testaments brought oot.

I went to see them in Belfast about two years ago, after much, much deliberation, mainly around the fact that I didn't want to ruin memories of great gigs in the Seventies and Eighties. They were superb.

Rumours going about of a Metallica UK arena tour at the end of the year, with Volbeat as support.

Scenes if this actually happens.

Oh my good god! That would be fuuuuuuuuucking amazing. However, I would like to see a full Volbeat tour

Rumours going about of a Metallica UK arena tour at the end of the year, with Volbeat as support.

Scenes if this actually happens.

Not a huge fan of Metallica but after seeing Volbeat at Rock Am Ring, I'd definitely be there!

• 2 weeks later...

Never really been into Alter Bridge, which is surprising as I like Tremonti and Slash's stuff with Myles Kennedy, but I can't translate that to Alter Bridge for whatever reason - ken a few tunes that are decent though.

Love love love Volbeat - even if their new album was pretty disappointing.

Gojira i've heard of but not heard

Worth mentioning that Like A Storm are opening the night and are a pretty decent band.

Cannae argue with £34 quid, so i'll be heading along to this one.

14 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

I was so stoked for a Metallica, Volbeat + Gojira gig.  To end up with Alter Bridge is a massive "meh" for me :(

Same. Actually gutted as I was hoping to go to a few gigs as Volbeat are amazing live, but I can't justify paying for travel/digs for a gig down in England when they are only going to be on stage for 50/60 minutes and I'm not fussed about the main act. Just going to do Glasgow and hope they do their own headline tour next year, and go to more shows then.

Edited by IainMorton

He's an absolute genius, and utterly unbelievable live, both musically and entertainment-wise. If Beethoven and Andrew Lloyd Webber were into metal and had a son, he'd be Devin Townsend.

He's just a guy who absolutely loves what he does, and his live shows are just a massive party where everyone has an amazing time and his chat on the mic is hilarious. He's also one of the best shredders there is, but almost never does it because he thinks it's boring as f**k...which is a view I am completely on board with.

Your life will be infinitely better with Hevy Devy in it

Edited by Al B

It's hard to know where to start with a discography as vast as Dev's.

4 for starters that offer a decent indication of what he's all about:

• Infinity 
  • Ziltoid the Omniscient
  • Epicloud
  • Ocean Machine

That's just the tip of the iceberg as far as this top boi is concerned.

My favourite album is Addicted, but I must admit I listen to the album's live "By A Thread" show, more than the studio album.

He's so diverse though, the Ki album, or his Casualties of Cool work are both beautiful and different from the heavy stuff.

As far as live stuff goes, there's a video on Youtube of him at the Tuska Open Air Metal Festival 2010 that's just unreal, and then there's The Retinal Circus which is basically a 2-and-a-half hour greatest hits which are all set within a loose narrative with actors on stage etc to make it a massive Lloyd-Webber-esque musical. Utterly unreal.

His albums are essentially recorded by himself in his house doing the drums on EZ Drummer and the rest of the instruments himself, and i'd massively recommend sitting through the following video where he was challenged to write and record a whole song in 2hrs, and live-stream it. It's absolutely fascinating to see not only his songwriting mind at work, but how simple his process is when you bear in mind bands/artists who take years and millions to do each album. It's long....but extremely rewarding, and also hilarious at points.

1 hour ago, Al B said:

My favourite album is Addicted, but I must admit I listen to the album's live "By A Thread" show, more than the studio album.

He's so diverse though, the Ki album, or his Casualties of Cool work are both beautiful and different from the heavy stuff.

As far as live stuff goes, there's a video on Youtube of him at the Tuska Open Air Metal Festival 2010 that's just unreal, and then there's The Retinal Circus which is basically a 2-and-a-half hour greatest hits which are all set within a loose narrative with actors on stage etc to make it a massive Lloyd-Webber-esque musical. Utterly unreal.

His albums are essentially recorded by himself in his house doing the drums on EZ Drummer and the rest of the instruments himself, and i'd massively recommend sitting through the following video where he was challenged to write and record a whole song in 2hrs, and live-stream it. It's absolutely fascinating to see not only his songwriting mind at work, but how simple his process is when you bear in mind Tool bands/artists who take years and millions to do each album. It's long....but extremely rewarding, and also hilarious at points.

Made a small but accurate amendment...

3 minutes ago, Consolidate said:

Made a small but accurate amendment...

Haha...the first Youtube comment at the top of that recording video is actually mine, coming from a similar point of view :P