May 2011 Election

xbl

498 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree greatly with even the idea of an arranged marriage but XBL's right, there are massive degrees in how they work.

Except, that's not what he said at all. He meandered onto that after having his initial attempts to tell us "how it works" laughed at.

I don't think anyone on this thread has disputed the assertion that arranged marriages vary from casual suggestions of a possible boyfriend/girlfriend to "here's your life partner we've selected - enjoy your life together".

"How it works" is completely different from case to case.

I'm still intrigued about the definition of a "one night stand" that isn't "one night" though. I think I need that clarified....

I don't think anyone on this thread has disputed the assertion that arranged marriages vary from casual suggestions of a possible boyfriend/girlfriend to "here's your life partner we've selected - enjoy your life together".

Really? Is that really the case? I think not. Lets face it, your attempt at a smear has backfired. You've been shown up as just another big state unionist who prefers to make personal jibes rather than discuss an issue. You've been responding to the poster rather than the post, you have been launching attacks on someone who has much the same view as you, and you launched this whole "discussion" as an attempted attack on me to deflect from the crisis in your beloved cold dead union.

Edited, and oh, apparently in your case, its defined in advance! Presumably you have a written contract in advance? Which in itself is a deflection from your weird "first night in bed with someone you don't know must be awkward" nonsense. You are posting constant dribble!

Which in itself is a deflection from your weird "first night in bed with someone you don't know must be awkward" nonsense. You are posting constant dribble!

The first night in bed with a new wife who you have been betrothed to, and whom you don't necessarily fancy or like in any way at all physically, would indeed be incredibly weird.

Of course, a night in bed with you would be incredibly weird for any woman I expect, so I can understand you having difficulty with the distinction.

"Scotland still considers itself a separate country and periodically pushes for independence"

Uh no, not really.

Uh, yeah, really. If the Scots did not have a strong sense of independent identity from England, you would not have seen the majority voting in favour of a devolved parliament in the first place, nor the strong protection of our already seperate systems like education and health, or the jealously held right to field seperate sports teams on the international stage.

All that in addition to the glaringly obvious differences in culture, political outlook and history from England.

I would say the Scots for the main part do see themsleves certainly as a seperate nation, a seperate country within the union.

Uh, yeah, really. If the Scots did not have a strong sense of independent identity from England, you would not have seen the majority voting in favour of a devolved parliament in the first place, nor the strong protection of our already seperate systems like education and health, or the jealously held right to field seperate sports teams on the international stage.

All that in addition to the glaringly obvious differences in culture, political outlook and history from England.

I would say the Scots for the main part do see themsleves certainly as a seperate nation, a seperate country within the union.

And "periodically push for Independence"?

Pretty long periods...

Pretty long periods...

Yeah, so? The article might not be long on accuracy, but ad lib attempting to defy the idea that the Scots count themselves as a seperate country within the union is pretty silly.

Pretty long periods...

It was this bit I was was throwing a gauntlet of scepticism at. There's nothing "periodical" about the maybe one or two swells in sentiment favouring "independence" in the last 300 years.

The first night in bed with a new wife who you have been betrothed to, and whom you don't necessarily fancy or like in any way at all physically, would indeed be incredibly weird.

Of course, a night in bed with you would be incredibly weird for any woman I expect, so I can understand you having difficulty with the distinction.

Tch tch, yet another personal comment. I don't think anyone can be in any doubt that you are purely using this as a way to air your personal grievances and try and defend the union the only way it can be defended. Negatively. So lets go back to my original post, the one you brought up in a misguided attempt to smear me:

Here's a particular favourite from the xbl library of anecdotal evidence to support unsavoury assertions.

"My friends generally think of arranged marriages as a good thing. In fact, one girl I know wants one for herself! Its not nearly like how it is often presented."

There we go, after five pages of attacks, I can still stand by this post, and not only that, but it is supported by anecdotal evidence provided by you. Of course, if this was an issue you really wanted to discuss, you'd bump that thread (wherever it is), and have a discussion on there. I mean you must know where the thread is, you managed to find a quote from it. So why not bump the thread?

The answer here is that you couldn't care less about the topic, you just want to attack. Shame your attacks have failed so miserably.

Yeah, so? The article might not be long on accuracy, but ad lib attempting to defy the idea that the Scots count themselves as a seperate country within the union is pretty silly.

The problem with all these one liners is that they have to generalise.

There is no "Scotland" with a collective will. There are of course people who consider Scotland a separate country, just as there are people who live here who consider Scotland to be a region of Britain, in the same way as Cumbria or Lancashire is.

It was this bit I was was throwing a gauntlet of scepticism at. There's nothing "periodical" about the maybe one or two swells in sentiment favouring "independence" in the last 300 years.

Troops ordered to Scotland in 1918, several armed groups through the century, the suppression of government reports because of a fear that the Scotch might agitate for independence, two referendums (that both passed), various surges in SNP support (considering they were a small party, to even get their first MP would count as a swell), it seems pretty periodic to me.

Of course, now its beyond periodic. The genie is out of the bottle, and no amount of concessions and half hearted powers thrown our way in the Scotland Act will put it back.

There is no "Scotland" with a collective will. There are of course people who consider Scotland a separate country, just as there are people who live here who consider Scotland to be a region of Britain, in the same way as Cumbria or Lancashire is.

Click your heels together three times and repeat "there is no such place as Scotland". There is no Scotland, there is no Europe, there is apparently only Imperial Majestic Britain.

The problem with all these one liners is that they have to generalise.

I have to admit I thought it was hugely sweeping to suggest that there was a unity of will in Scotland with respect to national identity and sovereignty. That wasn't really the bit I was scorning, though, as it's a generalisation that can be put down to brevity. My issue is this idea that Scotland has "periodical" swells in pro-independence sentiment (that is, increases at regular, distinct intervals.

Of course, now its beyond periodic. The genie is out of the bottle, and no amount of concessions and half hearted powers thrown our way in the Scotland Act will put it back.

Fancy taking a stab at when Scotland will become Independent?

2020? 2050?

Troops ordered to Scotland in 1918, several armed groups through the century, the suppression of government reports because of a fear that the Scotch might agitate for independence, two referendums (that both passed), various surges in SNP support (considering they were a small party, to even get their first MP would count as a swell), it seems pretty periodic to me.

Definition of periodic: "happening, by revolution, at a stated time; returning regularly, after a certain period of time"

I am not denying that there have been swells in pro-independence sentiment. To suggest that it somehow conforms to a "periodical" swell is more than pushing it.

2020? 2050?

Not really. Its a long game. In my life time we've gone from playing gstq before sporting events and being part of a Tory Union to having our own anthem, our own Parliament, the "protest party" (thats the SNP) have been elected as the largest party, and the debritishification of this country continues. You might argue that the SNP has not got independence yet, but they have shown that they can govern, destroying the common Unionist argument, and as a reaction to them, the Unionist parties have desperately got together and thrown some more scraps our way.

Its a long game, but I'd like to think we'd get independence in my lifetime.

2020? 2050?

To be fair to XBL, I think he has a historical point, Scottish support for independence is in inverse proportion to the tangible benefits of the union, primarily over 200 - 250 years of the union being the empire. The collapse of that institution has seen a steady increase in seperatist sentiment over the next 60 odd years. So i'd say the periodicity is shortening.

To be fair to XBL, I think he has a historical point, Scottish support for independence is in inverse proportion to the tangible benefits of the union, primarily over 200 - 250 years of the union being the empire. The collapse of that institution has seen a steady increase in seperatist sentiment over the next 60 odd years. So i'd say the periodicity is shortening.

If it's a steady increase it's not periodical.

:huh:

I am not denying that there have been swells in pro-independence sentiment. To suggest that it somehow conforms to a "periodical" swell is more than pushing it.

And here we are again, you are taking issue with the usage of one particular word when it is perfectly clear what the article as a whole means. Whats the point?

Archived