Favourite decade for music

Lerwick Lad

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Suppose that entirely depends what kind of music you are into. For rock fans, the 90's was a wet dream. Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Faith No More, Rage Against The Machine, Soundgarden, Therapy, Tool, Deftones, Foo Fighters, Kyuss, QOTSA, System Of A Down, Manics. It was about 7 glorious years of brilliant brilliant music that I dont expect to ever see repeated in my lifetime.

To call half of that rock is fucking insulting. :angry:

i wouldn't even class nirvana as a 90s band considering their best work was released in 89

the rest of that lot are a bag of poop.

and are you saying that any of these monkeys match up to the likes of minor threat, flipper, black flag and bad brains.

pffft.

the 90s was a toilet of a decade.

To be fair, Rancid are infinitely more listenable than any of these bands you mention, who were in fact, a bit shit. Bad Brains have always sounded like 4 nine year olds hitting some instruments with their heads. I really couldnt give a shit if these guys were pioneers of their genre...it doesnt make them good. And if you actually believe Nirvana's best work was in the 80's your head has clearly gone so far up your own arse you probably need to pay a visit to A + E.

Most posters will vote for their generation which the table seems to prove.

Rock was not about in any sort of significant commercial way in the 50's even though the suppressed blacks in the land of the free USA had be playing blues rock for a long time. Buddy Holly was the first to take Black Music and turn it into a 4 peace band of rhythm,bass and lead guitar and banging drums huge success that influenced many a small boy in a bedroom to start a band in the 60's

The 60's is a very special decade as popular pop music had not be done before on a massive scale. This was all new and it took the world by storm. In other words the 60's invented pop and rock to the masses and for that reason it has to be number 1.

The 70's is by far and away the best decade for music and all the different styles that developed within this decade is nothing short of remarkable. The rock seen with Rush to Black Sabbath , Deep Purple , Pink Floyd the list is endless.

Folk rock in the Eagles , Fairport Convention , Bob Dylan , Neil Young again the list goes on and on.

Pop music the Carpenters - Abba - T-Rex again the list is endless.

Punk = Sex Pistols - The Ruts - Iggy Pop another endless list.

Goth was started by Susie and the Banshees.

So while decades to follow have all had their moments nothing can come close to the original the 60's or the incredible 70's

Difficult one for me. The late 80's-early 90's were amazing for music but the 90's got shit from 96 onwards.

So thinking about it, I'd say the 80's were the best - from Madness, The Cure and Prince to The Stone Roses, Pixies and the beginnings of acid house. Although in saying that my favourite time ever was the period between 90-95 when raves, shoegazing, Snub TV and early Oasis/Manics Holy Bible happened in what seemed the blink of an eye - tremendous memories :D

The 80's had some of the worst music ever committed to vinyl too, mind!

• 4 years later...

It has to be the mid to late 1960s - We had all the great Brit bands like The Beatles - Stones and Kinks making amazing music.

We had all the American Psychedelic music like Hendrix doing weird things with a guitar and The Doors along with Rock band's mixing up Country influences with Rock music like The Band and The Byrds.

Then the great Soul music with people like Otis Redding and Booker T and the MGs and Motown.

I don't think we will ever see a period like it again in popular music.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm an absolute madman ,so I'm going to go for two rough half decades. 1994-2004. Got two Neutral Milk Hotel albums, American Football's self titled and Kanye and Nas's debuts,just to name a few. Green Day,Pulp,Radiohead and Weezer all really hit their peak around this time as well.

It's the 70s for me. Here's a few UK artists from that decade...

Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, The Clash, Average White Band, Deep Purple, David Bowie, Mott the Hoople, Roxy Music, Queen, Yes, Led Zeppelin, Elvis Costello, Sex Pistols, Genesis, The Jam, The Police.

Great music from all decades but reckon the 70s edges it.

Was tight between the 60's, cant argue with the output in the second half of the decade and the 90's, this was the decade when i was a teenager.

went for the 90's as probably listen to more music from that decade than any other although i think there was more great music produced in the 60's.

Archived