Favourite decade for music

Lerwick Lad

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I wanted 60-70's but I went for 60's. For some pretty immense soul.

voted 90s as I was a teen and a lot of styles and great bands emerged after the musical abortion that was the 80. BUT 1965-1975 was the best ten years ever for music, lots of legends at the peak of their powers (beatles, stones, who, zep, hendrix, doors etc), some amazing soul and funk and great styles like Americana really taking off.

90s for me. Music between about 85 and 05 was really good for me. Metal and punk really thrived during that time. And the grunge movement just produced loads of quality bands.

I agree with Mik, 80s had it's great bands, the Big Four and Maiden but its hair metal just brings it down for me, can't stand that shit, and late 00s just doesn't live up to the standards set at the start.

every decade has produced some great music, but with hindsight the 90s is actually pretty damn weak.

i think this decade will be a strong one in all honesty, probably the best since the 80s.

and britpop... :barf

every decade has produced some great music, but with hindsight the 90s is actually pretty damn weak.

Suppose that entirely depends what kind of music you are into. For rock fans, the 90's was a wet dream. Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Faith No More, Rage Against The Machine, Soundgarden, Therapy, Tool, Deftones, Foo Fighters, Kyuss, QOTSA, System Of A Down, Manics. It was about 7 glorious years of brilliant brilliant music that I dont expect to ever see repeated in my lifetime.

Suppose that entirley depends what kind of music you are into. For rock fans, the 90's was a wet dream. Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Faith No More, Rage Against The Machine, Soundgarden, Therapy, Tool, Deftones, Foo Fighters, Kyuss, QOTSA, System Of A Down, Manics. It was about 7 glorious years of briliant brilliant music that I dont expect to ever see repeated in my lifetime.

If you add in the punk revival(Rancid, Bad Religion, NOFX and the likes) then that's why the 90s beats the 80s and 00s.

Suppose that entirely depends what kind of music you are into. For rock fans, the 90's was a wet dream. Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Faith No More, Rage Against The Machine, Soundgarden, Therapy, Tool, Deftones, Foo Fighters, Kyuss, QOTSA, System Of A Down, Manics. It was about 7 glorious years of brilliant brilliant music that I dont expect to ever see repeated in my lifetime.

i wouldn't even class nirvana as a 90s band considering their best work was released in 89

the rest of that lot are a bag of poop.

If you add in the punk revival(Rancid, Bad Religion, NOFX and the likes) then that's why the 90s beats the 80s and 00s.

and are you saying that any of these monkeys match up to the likes of minor threat, flipper, black flag and bad brains.

pffft.

the 90s was a toilet of a decade.

Come on now, to much American in that list. 90s was a peak in British music; Oasis, Blur, Travis, OCS, Cast, Shed Seven, Ash, Feeder...

i wouldn't even class nirvana as a 90s band considering their best work was released in 89

the rest of that lot are a bag of poop.

and are you saying that any of these monkeys match up to the likes of minor threat, flipper, black flag and bad brains.

pffft.

the 90s was a toilet of a decade.

Think you must've forgotten that In Utero was released in 93 tongue.gif

Yes I am. Minor Threat? Is that the band that were only about from 1980 to 83? f**k off. Only heard of Bad Brains out of the list but I've not heard enough of their stuff to really make a judgement call. But aren't they more like hardcore punk, so more like a Suicidal Tendencies(another great 90s band btw) rather than a just straight up punk band?

What I will say is that they'd need to be something special to be better than either Rancid or Bad Religion. Rancid's base lines especially, second to none IMO because Matt Freeman is the best bassist in the world. Bad Religion are just fantastic, lyrical geniuses(genii?)

Archived