Mafia Watering Hole

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, I was looking for you in the newbie section :lol:

It all seems a lot more complicated than ours :unsure:

It is... I'm gonna end up mod killed pretty quickly first time round I think for not following it to a T, but I'll do my best.

The guys on the 'proposition' thread seemed quite nice, and one of them is also in the game, so fingers crossed they'll at least give me a few days to adjust!

Its a difficult one as the amount of people who are now playing the mafia games is moving towards a level that is tough to contain in one game. So youre left with the unsatisfactory solutions of either creating 2 games at once and splitting players up, or what we had in this game, ie qualifiers and seedings etc, which only serve to create an elite and reduce the level of unpredictability and fun for new players.

We have about 25 constant players and 8/9 on off players so at most we have 30 players in each game so no need for 2 games.

Its a difficult one as the amount of people who are now playing the mafia games is moving towards a level that is tough to contain in one game. So youre left with the unsatisfactory solutions of either creating 2 games at once and splitting players up, or what we had in this game, ie qualifiers and seedings etc, which only serve to create an elite and reduce the level of unpredictability and fun for new players.

To be fair, Jupe is in the final having never played any other games before and Nizlopi is there too having only played a few.

Catering for more than 20 in that survivor game was always going to be a step too far. The first night's task is always a nightmare to try and fit in the normal time parameters, so the qualifiers was to try and add a bit of excitement as well as getting the numbers down to a workable level.

I quite enjoyed running the qualifiers if I'm honest :ph34r:

I think people need to just start counting themselves out, and there should be a number of slots available for inexperienced players. Not as formal as it sounds obviously, but some of the usual suspects need to just take a game out here and there, and then its fine!

I think people need to just start counting themselves out, and there should be a number of slots available for inexperienced players. Not as formal as it sounds obviously, but some of the usual suspects need to just take a game out here and there, and then its fine!

Exactly, maybe put themselves as backups. If newer players want to play then they sign up but if the GM needs more players then they can put themselves in.

Maybe GTG needs to break his run of not being in every game rolleyes.giftongue.gif

I've had a look at the mafiascum rules for the type of game I'm going for (it's called a 'long normal') and they don't see too much different from our own. Longer deadlines and more formalised styles of posting aside, I think we could handle it.

Here's a list of their 'basic' rules.

Mafiascum rules

Obviously these are in addition to the etiquette set out on the thread.

Exactly, maybe put themselves as backups. If newer players want to play then they sign up but if the GM needs more players then they can put themselves in.

Maybe GTG needs to break his run of not being in every game rolleyes.giftongue.gif

Why? Just because we are regular players why should we give our place up in games?

GTG and JamboStu retired at one point but quickly came back.

GTG and JamboStu retired at one point but quickly came back.

So did Sooky and Ludo, and I'm sure Gy said he wouldn't play in another game involving Lichtie.

All of whom are now back to playing regularly (which is of course good news!)

Did Ludo retire? I thought it was an extended break. There was a point where a few folk between scunnered with the game. The last few games have been tremendous and that's without good players like Parscelona, monkeyblair et al

Did Ludo retire? I thought it was an extended break. There was a point where a few folk between scunnered with the game. The last few games have been tremendous and that's without good players like Parscelona, monkeyblair et al

Yes he retired then came back during Sookys game to kill me when no one knew he was playing.

Why? Just because we are regular players why should we give our place up in games?

Because if you don't allow new players to come in then the games will die through lack of players. Trust me, I've seen it happen on my other board.

Yeah, he didn't play for quite a good while, although i think he followed the games he missed.

I agree as well. The strength of the players has improved massively in the last 6 months or so especially, I think since the the first Survivor Game. I think everyone is a lot more confident to speak out and argue with other players, which has made all the difference.We're slowly moving away from killing the most active players too, which helps the latter part of the game - thank f**k!

Because if you don't allow new players to come in then the games will die through lack of players. Trust me, I've seen it happen on my other board.

Exactly, and thats part of the reason the games went through a dead crappy spell (in addition to the inability of players to wait for the next one), not enough fresh players showed up, people went round and round, and eventually loads got bored, leading to that awful tedious series of games. You have to keep bringing new players in occasionally, it ups the standard all round and keeps things fresher.

Good luck in the game Kyle - what if you don't return and you prefer them over us :(

Doubts!

This is an experiment. Having read the rules, I think this could be a 6 week drawn out affair.

This is my mafia home 8)

We have done quite well over the last 2 years since there is only a couple of left from the start and everyone else seem to come and go.

Exactly, and thats part of the reason the games went through a dead crappy spell (in addition to the inability of players to wait for the next one), not enough fresh players showed up, people went round and round, and eventually loads got bored, leading to that awful tedious series of games. You have to keep bringing new players in occasionally, it ups the standard all round and keeps things fresher.

Absolutely. Guys like yourself, Jupe, Nizlopi, forehead Stewbo etc have come in recently and it's stirred the pot. I think the players coming in all seem to be well educated individuals (along with everyone else who is educated) so the arguments and 'cloak and daggers' have been much more elaborate and exciting.

You should play in a normal mafia game Xbl... you'd be a fucking dynamite investigator!

Archived