Nintendo Wii U

SimplyTON

Whats everyone's 1st impressions?

After watching the E3 presentation I was pretty intrigued but the guardian hands-on run down gives a glimpse of the possibilities

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/jun/07/wii-u-nintendo-games-console

Be interesting to see how Nintendo compete on a HD level but by the time they finally get around to HD where will MS & Sony be?

Really pushing the mature aspect too

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dull. I was extremely disappointed with the whole thing, and thats speaking as someone who has defended the Wii for years. Where was the excitement and the next step? It just seems to be the Wii HD with a tablet pc for a controller. I can't see myself having an interest in buying one.

Dull. I was extremely disappointed with the whole thing, and thats speaking as someone who has defended the Wii for years. Where was the excitement and the next step? It just seems to be the Wii HD with a tablet pc for a controller. I can't see myself having an interest in buying one.

I dont think you can really expect ground-breaking, innovative stuff every time.

My first impression is that its fuckin huge :o Ive only watched one quick video though, need to go and read some more before commenting properly.

On the point about Nintendo 'catching up' with HD - its a fair point, but given that neither MS or Sony are announcing a new console at this years E3 (as far as I know anyway) the U will be out long before either of them launch the PS4 or 720

I've watched a couple of videos, and whilst it's not innovative or "the new technology" it's still pretty smart.

I like the ways that it can be used, and it looks cool when linked up to the Wii and that. It's not a handheld thing, but it is still fairly portable, and it'll have internet connection, so it's an iPad that you can play Wii games on. Still need to get a Wii, mind.

On the point about Nintendo 'catching up' with HD - its a fair point, but given that neither MS or Sony are announcing a new console at this years E3 (as far as I know anyway) the U will be out long before either of them launch the PS4 or 720

They don't need to though. Microsoft have got a new lease of life with the Kinect, I was unsure over whether it would work, but they seem to have made it pay off and its actually a really fun bit of kit. Its also quite good for research purposes, we've got a couple floating about in our department for playing with. Their system still has plenty of power and potential under the hood, so they can continue to release their hardcore games while building up the Kinect market. I think they've got a good future.

Sony seem to be moving into high end 3D. Their playstation also has plenty of life in it, and one of the things they are offering is a tv that lets you play splitscreen, but using the whole tv. Each person gets different glasses, and they then see different things on the same screen, meaning that each player can see the whole screen. They seem to be moving off in a new direction, proper 3d gaming, with the Move probably quietly forgotten.

I just don't see what Nintendo offer that is so distinct and worthwhile. Its basically the Wii HD with a Galaxy Tab attached. The press conference didn't help, given that it was confusing and shite, but at a time when the other two consoles are finally starting to go down different routes, what is the Wii U offering? The tablet seems a bulky, clumsy compromise, the screen in the middle is pretty neat yes, but not enough to really motivate me to buy one, and what about the Wii Motes? It appears they still have a role in the new system, so will they be the main controller with the Wii U being the second call, or will they be relegated to an occasionally used gimmick? I think the Wii controllers are pretty well designed, and with the MotionPlus, are really good tech, and going back to a normal controller seems a regressive step.

They don't need to though. Microsoft have got a new lease of life with the Kinect, I was unsure over whether it would work, but they seem to have made it pay off and its actually a really fun bit of kit. Its also quite good for research purposes, we've got a couple floating about in our department for playing with. Their system still has plenty of power and potential under the hood, so they can continue to release their hardcore games while building up the Kinect market. I think they've got a good future.

Sony seem to be moving into high end 3D. Their playstation also has plenty of life in it, and one of the things they are offering is a tv that lets you play splitscreen, but using the whole tv. Each person gets different glasses, and they then see different things on the same screen, meaning that each player can see the whole screen. They seem to be moving off in a new direction, proper 3d gaming, with the Move probably quietly forgotten.

I just don't see what Nintendo offer that is so distinct and worthwhile. Its basically the Wii HD with a Galaxy Tab attached. The press conference didn't help, given that it was confusing and shite, but at a time when the other two consoles are finally starting to go down different routes, what is the Wii U offering? The tablet seems a bulky, clumsy compromise, the screen in the middle is pretty neat yes, but not enough to really motivate me to buy one, and what about the Wii Motes? It appears they still have a role in the new system, so will they be the main controller with the Wii U being the second call, or will they be relegated to an occasionally used gimmick? I think the Wii controllers are pretty well designed, and with the MotionPlus, are really good tech, and going back to a normal controller seems a regressive step.

So, in other words, youre slagging it off without really knowing what it does :P

To be honest, I dont know enough about how it will work to argue one way or the other about the Wii U.

I agree that neither MS or Sony need to release a new console as they both have decent mileage left. However, the Wii was lagging behind in a lot of respects even when it was launched. Its pretty much reached the end of its lifespan and so Nintendo didnt have much choice but to launch something new. In a way, its more of a Wii 2 - what the Wii should have been, perhaps - and is more about catching up with MS and Sony, while all three plan for the "next big thing" than being truely innovative. As I said, you cant really expect any tech company to be innovative with every single product, certainly not as innovative as the Wii was.

Having said that, if Nintendo can capture some of the things that made the Wii great and combine it with a tablet / DS-esque touch screen, it may well turn out to be a lot better than it looks!

Call me a big thicky thick thicko but I'd never heard/thought of that. Sounds brilliant.

• 2 weeks later...

I havent seen a topic mentioning this so thought some of you might be interested.

Looks like Nintendo are trying to change the way we interact with games yet again... good on them.

The new Zelda looks stunning!

There is also a dedicated topic on it on page 2 of this thread:

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/149747-wiiu/

As I said on there, I'm extremely disappointed with whats been announced.

Thanks. Can a mod please combine the 2 threads? Or delete this one. Whichever is easiest. :)

I think its more to do with how they integrate the new controller type into games. Sometimes the simplest of ideas can make a world of difference.

I love the idea of having my own screen if playing multiplayer. My own information that the other players cant see and still using the main TV for the action.

It seems like it has many possibilities.

Just look at the Wii. It was put across as a novelty by some but it didnt stop both Microsoft and Sony taking the idea for their own consoles and being a relative success for Nintendo.

Im genuinely looking forward to it being released. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Theres a couple of really good pieces about it in this months Nintendo magazine.

I have to say, after reading them, Im far more excited about it than I was. One example of using the new controller, was lying it on the floor in front of you while playing Tiger Woods. It then shows you a picture of the ball and the ground its lying on - in a bunker, the rough etc. You then use the original Wii controller to swing, as before. Sounds incredibly simplistic, but think of how much mre realistic the game engine could be given that it knows you can see the exact lie of the ball and how much more realistic the whole gameplay would be actually looking at a ball when you swing?

Another example, was clipping it to the Wii Zapper to use as a sniper sight.

Theres also an obvious acknowledgement that the console needs more "hardcore" games. Ghost Recon, Aliens : Colonial Marines, Ninja Gaiden, Batman : Arkham, Metro : Last Light and Assassins Creed are all scheduled for release

I would imagine that Im going to get one when its released. Zelda alone would be reason for me.

Im presuming its backwards compatible with Wii games as well :)

I just hope they stick with the Wii controllers as the main means of interaction with games. I'm starting to be a bit more positive about it, after what was a truly, truly awful launch announcement at E3 had me feeling all negative. Hopefully it continues to be distinctive from the PS3 and Xbox, although the PS3 with its Ice Cream Dildos seems to be pretty similar to it already. A bit of a tangent, but while I've had a shot of the Kinect and like it a lot, has anyone had a shot of the move? Is it any good? Widely supported?

I just hope they stick with the Wii controllers as the main means of interaction with games. I'm starting to be a bit more positive about it, after what was a truly, truly awful launch announcement at E3 had me feeling all negative. Hopefully it continues to be distinctive from the PS3 and Xbox, although the PS3 with its Ice Cream Dildos seems to be pretty similar to it already. A bit of a tangent, but while I've had a shot of the Kinect and like it a lot, has anyone had a shot of the move? Is it any good? Widely supported?

I dont think so - the new controller is pretty much the selling point of the console. As I said, theres talk of using both together, but the new controller is definitely the "daddy"

Theres also talk of multiplayer games where the players using different controllers do different things, based around the fact that whoever has the WiiU controller has an advantage over those who dont. Sounds a bit gimmicky, to be honest.

Something else I didnt realise at launch, is that the controller touchscreen is similar to the DSs and comes with its own stylus, which is nice :)

Archived