Nintendo Wii U

SimplyTON

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No Wii U exclusives made the top 10 all format chart last week, can't be a good sign for initial sales of the console.

1. (1) Black Ops 2 (Activision)

2. (-) Far Cry 3 (Ubisoft)

3. (3) FIFA 13 (Electronic Arts)

4. (2) Hitman: Absolution (Square Enix)

5. (4) Assassin's Creed 3 (Ubisoft)

6. (7) Just Dance 4 (Ubisoft)

7. (6) LEGO Lord of the Rings (Warner Bros. Interactive)

8. (5) Halo 4 (Microsoft)

9. ( 8 ) Skylanders Giants (Activision)

10. (9) Need for Speed: Most Wanted (EA)

11. (-) Nintendo Land (Nintendo)

12. (10) Dishonored (Bethesda)

13. (15) Football Manager 2013 (Sega)

14. (-) New Super Mario Bros. U (Nintendo)

15. (11) WWE 13 (THQ)

16. (12) Moshi Monsters: Moshlings Theme Park (Mind Candy)

17. (-) ZombiU (Ubisoft)

18. (18) Medal of Honor: Warfighter (Electronic Arts)

19. (16) New Super Mario Bros 2 (Nintendo)

20. (25) Forza Horizon (Microsoft)

:blink:

While I'm far from a Wii U Fan, it didn't get launched until the 1st of December!

And even though they didnt make the top 10, the three major launch titles made the top 20. Considering its an all format chart, the vast majority of the games on it are cross platform and 9 of the top 10 (possibly 10 if you count Skylanders) come from long established franchises, I think thats pretty good!

Not only does it looks pointless and shit, but they're charging 55 quid for games? No chance it'll do well.

Im not sure about pointless and shit, but I too baulked at £55 a game.

£55 a game??? :o

There are two things that really depress me about Nintendo. Firstly, I hate their habit of churning our repetitive remakes of old games. You know, new Mario, new Mario Kart, new Zelda etc.

Secondly though, and this depresses me even more, but these are the games that their core audience seems to really want! Why are people so obsessed with the three millionth remake of these hoary old games? Does nobody want to move on to anything new?

There are two things that really depress me about Nintendo. Firstly, I hate their habit of churning our repetitive remakes of old games. You know, new Mario, new Mario Kart, new Zelda etc.

Secondly though, and this depresses me even more, but these are the games that their core audience seems to really want! Why are people so obsessed with the three millionth remake of these hoary old games? Does nobody want to move on to anything new?

To be fair, though, they do manage to do new things with the same franchises, particularly Zelda. Even if you ignore the handheld versions and start at Ocarina, each title since has been very different and very, very good.

Mario, perhaps less so, but Super Mario on the Wii and both Super Mario Galaxy games were still excellent games. Nintendo might milk theyre flagship characters but they do a far, far better job of it than anyone else.

Having said that, the current lineup of WiiU games, both released and in production, is pretty disapointing to say the least. Mainly re-hashes of other console titles and film tie ins. :(

To be fair, though, they do manage to do new things with the same franchises, particularly Zelda. Even if you ignore the handheld versions and start at Ocarina, each title since has been very different and very, very good.

Mario, perhaps less so, but Super Mario on the Wii and both Super Mario Galaxy games were still excellent games. Nintendo might milk theyre flagship characters but they do a far, far better job of it than anyone else.

Having said that, the current lineup of WiiU games, both released and in production, is pretty disapointing to say the least. Mainly re-hashes of other console titles and film tie ins. :(

I don't blame Nintendo though, they are basically doing what their core fanbase wants!

Because the remakes are more often than not, gaming gold

They evolve rather than just updating the graphics and get better each time for it.

Edit to add- £55 a game is shocking though. Utterly shocking.

Same here, as I said Alien :CM could be utterly amazing, if done properly.

We both know it won't ever be as good as the concept in our head is. I'm still waiting on someone making Wii Cricket wink.gif

I'm getting one. Zelda alone is enough reason for me.

I know it would be inevitable, but has a Zelda title been officially announced?

One of the guys behind the Wii Homebrew Channel seems to think it will be easy to hack https://twitter.com/marcan42

My original Wii is almost exclusively used as a SNES/Mega Drive emulator these days :ph34r:

I use a PSP Go for the same purpose, but it'd be good to have an emulator hooked up to the telly like what you have. If I ever have the disposable income again, I'd like to build a 'steambox' for the living room that is powerful enough to run Wind Waker through Dolphin at 1080p.

Looking at Zelda in particular, there's a new angle with every title, but it's pretty much the same game. I'd like it to break free from the current explore/dungeon/boss structure that it has. There are a lot of constants that make the respective game a Zelda title, but after countless versions, some more originality would be welcome. On their own merits, each title could be seen as one of the best games ever made, but there are too many of them that are too similar. Ocarina was too perfect, in a way.

It's not quite as bad as the media hyping up Pro Evolution Soccer's Master League mode when it took at least 6 iterations (dating back from ISS Pro Evo) for any changes to be made, but it's still pretty annoying and my heart isn't in the Zelda series anymore (although I'm currently playing through Okami HD, which is almost a carbon copy, what am I doing?!).

As far as the Wii U goes, I think we're back to the Gamecube in terms of confused strategy.

We both know it won't ever be as good as the concept in our head is. I'm still waiting on someone making Wii Cricket wink.gif

LALALALALALALA ... IM NOT LISTENING!

Its.going.to.be.great.

I know it would be inevitable, but has a Zelda title been officially announced?

Kind of. They've said there will be one, but nothing more.

I use a PSP Go for the same purpose, but it'd be good to have an emulator hooked up to the telly like what you have. If I ever have the disposable income again, I'd like to build a 'steambox' for the living room that is powerful enough to run Wind Waker through Dolphin at 1080p.

That does look pretty cool :D

Looking at Zelda in particular, there's a new angle with every title, but it's pretty much the same game. I'd like it to break free from the current explore/dungeon/boss structure that it has. There are a lot of constants that make the respective game a Zelda title, but after countless versions, some more originality would be welcome. On their own merits, each title could be seen as one of the best games ever made, but there are too many of them that are too similar. Ocarina was too perfect, in a way.

Yes, and no. I know what you mean about the gameplay being, fundamentally, the same, but for me there has been enough new stuff to keep each title interesting. Im not sure if they broke away from the current structure that it would really feel like a Zelda game, if that makes sense.

• 1 month later...

picked up one of these at the weekend. absolutely love zombiu

console is a bit tricky to set up, but over all its quite good.

been getting second hand wii games (got rid of mine) and its epic.

what i dont like is all the games i had downloaded to my Wii (pre sale) cannot be returned even if i use the same user name and bank details.. which is a shame as i had a fair few games downloaded to it

• 1 year later...

Cant believe how far back I had to bump this from!!

We've bought one for our sons birthday, so of course I'll have to try it out. Anyone with one got any game recommendations?

My 7yr is almost exclusively playing Disney Infinity on it these days and very much excited by DI2 - Marvel

Other than that Nintendoland get an outing every now and again.

Strange console - Its been very popular in our house, gets a lot of use and has proven to be worth buying but not 100% convinced by it either

Perhaps MK8 will help with that

Archived