Squash

ICTChris

I played squash for an hour last night against the same guy I always play and even though I win about 90% of games, I was getting absolutely cuffed before coming back to draw. Reading some other payers comments here, I've come to the conclusion that I'm not very good at squash, but that I know what to do to win against my mate most of the time.

I can maybe see him challenging me to a game of tennis at some point, which should be interesting at least. I've never played tennis before, with a game of "short" tennis on a primary school trip to Inverclyde many years ago being the closest I've come to real thing.

Do any other squash players absolutely hate it when someone watches your game?

I don't mind normally. I never notice most of the time unless some wee kids bangs on the glass and acts like a wee dick :lol:

I have to say that the one time it DID worry me was last year. In fact probably exactly a year ago, I was playing down at Ayr Citadel and noticed a few glammed up Asian burds wandering around. Three of them were standing at the back of the court watching me and my mate playing our game.... it turned out that they were the Ladyboys of Bangkok and they were doing a show that night in the big hall there.

The worrying thing is that they are there again on Thursday night and we are playing that night again.dry.gif

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just back from my first ever squash game, managed (relatively) honourable defeat in both games. My mate has played before, many years ago, and he beat me 15-11 and 15-9. We didn't realise the scoring went up to 11 :lol: I thought I did OK, I missed a lot of returns on the serve, I think my positioning on the court was poor - I ended up square onto the ball rather than slipping off to the side to hit a proper shot. I tried a lot of drop shots, but they were shitty push shots rather than cool Andy Murray style backhand slice shots :lol:

I really, really enjoyed it and will be playing again in future. There are a few people in my work who are keen and if I keep it up perhaps a few P&B challange matches could be on the cards.

• 2 weeks later...

Played again today against my mate, beat him. It was his first game and my second. Our work have started a 'squash ladder' so hopefully I'll get a few good games under my belt. I seem to have buggered my hip though :lol: hopefully a good nights sleep will sort it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I got completely pumped :lol: The guy I was playing hadn't played squash in years but plays a bit of tennis so I think was better positionally than I was. I find that I'm putting my body in the wrong place a lot of the time, the ball keeps coming directly at me rather than positioning myself to play shots. It's strange but I was speaking to my partner tonight and he was saying it's something you get if you play sports like football, it takes a bit of getting used to, setting yourself with your racquet rather than your body.

Need to play more often though.

• 5 weeks later...

I got completely pumped :lol: The guy I was playing hadn't played squash in years but plays a bit of tennis so I think was better positionally than I was. I find that I'm putting my body in the wrong place a lot of the time, the ball keeps coming directly at me rather than positioning myself to play shots. It's strange but I was speaking to my partner tonight and he was saying it's something you get if you play sports like football, it takes a bit of getting used to, setting yourself with your racquet rather than your body.

Need to play more often though.

Yeah, you need to give yourself room to swing the racket. A guy I play with somethimes does the same kind of thing, he gets there fast enough but he is better placed to kick the ball than hit it with his racket at times. When fishing the ball out of the corners you need to give yourself proper space or you just baby it back.

Yeah, you need to give yourself room to swing the racket. A guy I play with somethimes does the same kind of thing, he gets there fast enough but he is better placed to kick the ball than hit it with his racket at times. When fishing the ball out of the corners you need to give yourself proper space or you just baby it back.

I think I might book a court out and just practice with myself ( :o ) for an hour as I need to get the 'feel' for the game a bit better. I do need to play more regularly though, it's difficult arranging games with work and only one of my mates outside work plays with me.

Any Ed based P&Bers fancy a game? Bear in mind I'm kind of fat and shite :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I think I might book a court out and just practice with myself ( :o ) for an hour as I need to get the 'feel' for the game a bit better. I do need to play more regularly though, it's difficult arranging games with work and only one of my mates outside work plays with me.

Any Ed based P&Bers fancy a game? Bear in mind I'm kind of fat and shite :lol:

I do that every now and again. I'll practice hitting lengths forehand/backhand then do a set of sprints (10 lengths of the court) and then go back and repeat the hitting then go and sprint etc etc. You will come off the court totally fucked but it does help groove the swing. There are lots of solo drills you can use for practising alone too.

The more balls you hit the more you realise how little energy you need to use to hit. I used to just hammer the crap out of the ball all the time, but I take the pace right off and hit high up the wall to give me a chance to recover position and stuff like that, make my opponent generate all the pace etc.. If you can hog the T you are normally only a pace or so away from any part of the court, which becomes vital.

Dinno why more folk dont give it a try, its great fun.

Reading this has made me really want a game of squash. I played for a few years while I was at uni. Nothing competitive, just amongst a few of my pals because we got use of the squash courts free with our gym membership. I was never that great but I always got a great workout because I did so much running.

Sportsdirect is a good place to pick up a racquet if you're just starting out. I got a Dunlop one for under a tenner and it was decent enough for the level I was playing at.

Reading this has made me really want a game of squash. I played for a few years while I was at uni. Nothing competitive, just amongst a few of my pals because we got use of the squash courts free with our gym membership. I was never that great but I always got a great workout because I did so much running.

Sportsdirect is a good place to pick up a racquet if you're just starting out. I got a Dunlop one for under a tenner and it was decent enough for the level I was playing at.

Cheap dunlop squash balls as well. The racquets are good value there too, its almost cheaper to buy one and lob it if you break a string than get it restrung. In fact at under a tenner its definitely cheaper.

My mate stocks up on the cheaper raquets as he tends to be a racquet chucker when things aren't going too well on the court :P

• 2 weeks later...

Played again tonight, lost but it was good, close games. I'm still shite at positioning my feet to play shots.

Seriously, if any Edinburgh based P&Bers fancy a game, preferably at Meadowbank, give me a shout. Bear in mind I am kind of fat and shite so Peter Nicol types need not apply :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Theres some live squash on Sky sports 2 today at 2.30 and tomorrow around the same time. Its pretty rare to see it live these days but its quite a good chance for the folk that play a bit to see how the game looks when its played properly.

Watched a fair bit of that this afternoon. The new courts look fantastic for the TV and for once, the ball is very easy to follow. Thats been a major problem for the sport since TV m oney effectively decides which sports are going to thrive now.

Its worth a watch tomorrow just to get a swatch at the new courts, it looks like they might have cracked the TV problem at long last.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Just recently made a comeback at Squash and really enjoying it.

Having a few issues with my serve though as I seem to lose concentration the more tired I get and serve up either a few tasty volleys for my opponent or put it high and out.

Had been playing a bit of short tennis and initially found it difficult readjusting to squash but getting there now.

What I am also finding frustrating is that I can beat everybody at work ( we are all crap ) except an old boy who is nearly 20 years older than me that I can't get near. Every time I get close I bottle it or win one set and get destroyed the rest.

Reminds of the time I played my then 60 year old uncle in Australia many years ago, who turned up with an old wooden racket which with the arrogance of youth I had a good laugh at .

An hour later I left the court needing oxygen.... turned out the bugger had been a regional champion in Sydney back in the day. That's what great about squash I guess as you can be competitive irrespective of age.

Looking forward to getting back into it and hopefully improving.

Recently started playing my mate fairly regularly in casual games pretty sure we are both pretty dire but he is slightly better than myself, he also plays against his dad so it maybe just him playing more regularly that gives him the edge. I hadn't played In 8 or 9 years when I played in a similar way with a guy from school.

Beginning to figure out where I need to put the ball(not that it always goes there mind you...) Obviously probably everything needs to improve but I think the 2 main points are that my serves seem to be fairly predictable(when they go in...) I tend to hit the front wall a couple of feet above the middle line fairly central and it then hits the sidewall before dropping about the corner of the small box. I don't tend to lose the point straight from it but I think it doesn't set me up as well as a serve should. The other thing is I struggle more than my mate does when the ball drops close to the back/side walls, I just tend to have no space to get any control of the ball and can often hit the wall as I hit the ball. When its close to the back wall my mate tends to let it hit the wall and hit it after it passes him but I can't get into the habit of that and I either try smashing off the glass or trying to play it like a tennis shot over my head/ on the turn, neither with much success. Any tips?

Also scoring, we play to 9 with points only serve, I'm pretty sure we are doing it wrong but apparently that's how everyone else he knows plays, so are we?

Finally rackets , I think we are going to play enough to make it worth getting my own rather than using one of the crappy leisure centre ones, I want a half- decent one but obviously don't want to get an expensive racket that I wouldn't get the benefit from due to being rubbish. Sports direct still easiest/best place to grab one?(not that there are many other sports shops still around) I had a look in earlier and it seems you can either get one for a £10, £25 or £40 all Dunlop's with the usual sports direct rule of them being rrp at double that.

Cheers.

Archived