The Flaming Lips

Smurph

• 2 years later...

I'm going to use this as the official Flaming Lips thread.

After not listening to this 6-hour song, and recently remembering about it and giving their other material a listen, I fucking love The Flaming Lips. Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots is probably one of my favourite albums now.

Yoshimi's the album that got me into The Flaming Lips and it's definitely one of my favourite albums (had it as my number 7 in the Top 50 thread last year).

They headlined the Other Stage at Glastonbury 2010 which is one of the best nights I've had at a festival. Live they've always been great fun whenever I've seen them though I'm not so keen on the recent stuff.

A Flaming Lips live show is a joy to behold,I've luckily managed to catch them five times since 1999 and they have never dissappointed.

Yasss! You'd have to have cloth ears and a heart of granite not to come out of their live show without a grin on your pus

Anyone ever tried to do the thing with Zaireeka?

Yasss! You'd have to have cloth ears and a heart of granite not to come out of their live show without a grin on your pus

I have not but I've always been interested in what the results would be!

Assume you caught them at Bestival? All my mates were complaining about it being boring. f**k those people, it was spiritual.

I did indeed catch them. It was a bit of a different set up from what theyve been doing for the last ten years but it was an amazing experience none the less. The Flaming Lips don't really do bad shows.

Saw them at Indian Summer festival back in 08 I believe. I was doing the morning clean up and managed to speak to Mr Coyne while he was sound checking. He was everything I expected him to be, basically a very mellow friendly guy.

I skimmed through I Found A Star On The Ground and Ok, there's some droney dull bits but there's parts of it that are fantastic

Could easily be edited into a decent double album but Coyne or Drozd don't really do things that way

Here's the result:

I'll need to buy the album. I want to play about with it.

Edit- one of the noises at the beginning (around the 55 second mark). Does it remind anyone of GTA San Andreas?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I read that they are releasing a cover version of the stone roses debut album.

I'm listening to this just now. It's very different but it's not terrible...

On a bit of a Flaming Lips binge atm. They covered Dark Side of the Moon, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Stone Roses and have collaborated with Miley Cyrus for a whole album "Miley Cyrus and Her Dead Petz'. They're certainly kept busy.

I met Wayne Coyne once. Thoroughly nice chap.

Same boat. He's everything you'd expect him to be. An incredibly laid back, friendly but odd guy. Told me about playing in Finland between loads of Death Metal bands and how it rained for them all day, then when The Flaming Lips went onstage the sun came out.

Archived