Tennents Sixes

Do the results survive anywhere? Can't find anything online, other that St Mirren results here:

http://www.stmirren.info/id38.html

Going by the programme cover for the inaugural edition, there was no entry from Aberdeen. What was the story there?

This says Man City replaced Rangers in 1986:

http://www.scottishleague.net/archive/archive155.htm

Also: http://www.thecelticwiki.com/page/Tennent+Sixes

Edited by HibeeJibee

United were always utter Shite at this.

Was just going to say. Even when we were scudding folk left right and centre in Europe we were just horrific in the sixes. I stopped watching out of embarrassment.

• 1 year later...

I've did a bit of digging have collated what I have on the tournament into this TENNENTS'S SIXES PAGE 

The results have been taken from a number of sources; The Herald, Evening Times, various club websites and footage of the tournament on youtube.

The missing results are shown in yellow, 1984, 1988 and 1993 are complete, so any further additions are most welcome.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

Hibs getting knocked out for cheating... tremendous refereeing!!!

If you're referring to the 1993 Celtic-Hibs game and 'playing not in the spirit of the game', it wouldn't have altered anything as they'd be out on goal difference anyway.

Can anyone confirm that in 1985, Group 2 had SIX teams, I believe Celtic chose to sit out this year.

Any additions to the archive are most welcome!

10 minutes ago, sfha said:

If you're referring to the 1993 Celtic-Hibs game and 'playing not in the spirit of the game', it wouldn't have altered anything as they'd be out on goal difference anyway.

Can anyone confirm that in 1985, Group 2 had SIX teams, I believe Celtic chose to sit out this year.

Any additions to the archive are most welcome!

In the very first season why did Motherwell progress to the semi's and not St Mirren?

I was very happy after Falkirk getting promoted back in 1991 that the team could play in the hallowed Tennents Sixes. Good to see old footage of Falkirk's best ever strip the Hummell number.  Whoever edited the footage for Scotsport must have been a St Johnstone fan, they got a lot of coverage. Tommy Turner looks like the Messi of early 90's six a side football.I always thought he looked like the kind of guy that would try and sell you a timeshare in Lanzarote.

10 hours ago, sfha said:

Both Gerry McNee and Hibs themselves must have read the table wrong then. At 2-0 Hibs, the commentator said "if Celtic were to score St Johnstone would go through, so Hibs really have to guard this lead" .  And that's why Hibs were just keeping the ball without trying to score more before Creaney nicked a goal for Celtic.

I have a vague recollection of Jim Bett biffing a penalty off the crossbar and it bounced off the Sellick keeper and went in, a ten minute delay ensued while the officials "consulted the rule book" (i.e. hastily wrote a rule meaning that it wasn't a goal).
Reading back the above, it may well have been a hallucination.

Depending what season you're talking, if it was a shoot-out that might be correct: if the ball has come away from the goal, it couldn't go back in off the goalkeeper (or the referee / assistants though that would take some kick).

A kick is successful if, having been touched once by the kicker, the ball crosses the goal line between the goal posts and under the crossbar, without touching any player, official, or outside agent other than the defending goalkeeper. The ball may touch the goalkeeper, goal posts, or crossbar any number of times before going into the goal as long as the referee believes the ball's motion is the result of the initial kick. This was clarified after an incident in the 1986 World Cup shoot-out between Brazil and France. Bruno Bellone's kick rebounded out off the post, hit goalkeeper Carlos's back, and subsequently bounced into the goal. Referee Ioan Igna gave the goal to France, and Brazil captain Edinho was booked for protesting that the kick should have been considered a miss as soon as it rebounded off the post. In 1987, the International Football Association Board clarified Law 14, covering penalty kicks, to support Igna's decision.

Edited by HibeeJibee

• 2 weeks later...