Max Payne 3

Vanquinho.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might pick this up around xmas if steam do their usual deals around that time got LA Noire for about £7 or so last xmas so maybe get a cheeky deal this coming xmas or certainly the one after. Still on first max payne on original xbox and got 2nd to play so no huge hurry but Rockstar is a seal of approval. Shame Red Dead Redemption never came out on PC would have liked to have given that a shot.

It's an excellent game, really polished and a great continuation of the series.

Completely agree tbh. I didn't think they would get it right. I remember when the first screens of the game came out, and suddenly everything was bright and dayglo like a kids TV show, with Max as bald as a coot. It just didn't look right when you consider the first two games had a really dark feel to them.

However, now that you actually see the finished game, it works. Everything has come together to improve upon the little parts that were missing from the previous games. It's fantastic.

However, in terms of balance, there are a few things that are kind of niggling away at me while playing...I've spoiler tagged the below, but there isn't anything spoiling the story, more the style of the game. Y e have been warned,

First, the style of the cut-scenes and some non-playable events. The filters they put on the video, with the distortion of the screen etc, it starts to get annoying sometimes. I understand why they're doing it - I read that it was meant to symbolise Max's descent into madness and his reliance on booze and pills. And also the bright, vibrant world he's finding himself in is far removed from the murky nature under the surface. I get that, but sometimes it just distracts from what is actually happening. I also get a bit bored of the emphasis on some words from the cut-scenes being flashed up. I assume that's to keep the sort of comic-book/film noir nature of the previous games, but it doesn't always work.

Second, sometimes it just feels like you're playing Time Crisis. Might be a strange gripe, but when playing, I suddenly got the feeling I was just moving into an area, finding cover, getting all the bad guys then moving onto the next area. The process then starts again. That may be just me, but it's something I started to notice whilst playing.

Neither of those things add up to a bad game though - I love it, and it's comfortably the best shooter I've played in a long time.

I loved Max Payne on original X Box.

Is Max Payne 2 on 360 and if so, is it worth a wee shot before i get MP3?

• 5 months later...

Bought this on the cheap from HMV at the weekend (£15)

I'm not a big fan of linear shooting games, but I'm really enjoying this so far. Steaming into a area full of baddies and unleashing bullettime on them is a very satisfying experience. I loved the football stadium level where you are dodging snipers.

I don't think any publisher can come close to the quality of Rockstar's output. It must be a long time since they put out a game that wasn't excellent?

I've got this, but never did complete it. Anyone care to tell me how far on I am? Spoilers probably ahoy...

I'm on the part where I've just reached the roof of the torture hotel and the bombs start to go off. I remember that part being stupidly hard with the health and ammo I had left, and I never did get past it. Will need to dig it out again and finally finish it off.

http://www.rockstargames.com/videos/video/7751

Can't wait for this one. I absolutely loved the first two, with the comic strip story-telling and great atmospheric music a huge factor. The classic cop-down-on-his-luck theme worked brilliantly.

Very happy that the same voice actor is again being cast for Max, but the production team has changed a bit. Sam Lake, the series creator and writer is stepping aside and Dan Houser, writer of most of the Grand Theft Auto series, is taking over. I'd be pretty happy with this change as long as the story is once again bang-on and I'd probably expect some awesome action sequences aswell from him.

Release is scheduled for March.

Always been a fan of max payne. Was it the first game to do bullet-time?

Loved the atmosphere of the down-on-his-luck detective story.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just finished this today. What a fucking excellent game, and for a fiver pre owned, what a fucking snip.

The story is excellent, Max's voiceover gritty, funny and brilliant, superb graphics and the killcam a joy to watch.

Pretty much the best game I've played for quite some time.

• 2 years later...

Archived