The Curious Case of Michael McIndoe

drs

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you honestly think that players such as McIndoe should be in a situation where he has earnt enough to cover a mortgage on a £3million house? It may be a rich league but a hell of a lot of the clubs in it are living beyond their means chasing the dream.

Was he not quite a decent player at one point? I reckon he will not have been far away from 10k a week. Whether he was worth it I am not sure. But it is not inconceivable that he would have a house worth £3m.

My mate playes for Donny n his house is up towards the £1million mark and hes never had a big transfer. Wages from playin with Doncaster for last 3 years. So no, not inconceivable that the lad is able to buy a house for that money in that area.

I dunno if im missing something but is the article in the OP not sayin he was scammin players n stuff in a PONZI - style scheme?? Bentley Continental,£2.8 million pound house, 5 star hotels...?? just a thought.

Neither of which are the correct meanjng of 'journeyman', more like a workhorse, box to box player I think.

I am sure a journeyman is a player who plays in the lower leagues, who averages 2-3 seasons per club and who generally has an unremarkable career (certainly no where near an international call-up, unless you're Scottish).

I am sure a journeyman is a player who plays in the lower leagues, who averages 2-3 seasons per club and who generally has an unremarkable career (certainly no where near an international call-up, unless you're Scottish).

I would describe Joe Savage as a journeyman.

Did McIndoe not have a big gambling problem at one point? :unsure:

Investment people can shoot me down here but are 20% returns not rather large? So large that it would immediately be flagged up by an adviser as false? :unsure:

Investment people can shoot me down here but are 20% returns not rather large? So large that it would immediately be flagged up by an adviser as false? :unsure:

20% is bernie madoff style shit.

however you also have to remember that footballers are paying agents 10% of their income despite the fact that agents are generally useless unqualified wide boys who just sub contract their work out of lawyers and accountants.

if i'm ronaldo and moving from man u to real i'm thinking 'why the f**k is this agent getting 7 million? what vital function is he performing? that's my 7 million.'

20% is bernie madoff style shit.

however you also have to remember that footballers are paying agents 10% of their income despite the fact that agents are generally useless unqualified wide boys who just sub contract their work out of lawyers and accountants.

if i'm ronaldo and moving from man u to real i'm thinking 'why the f**k is this agent getting 7 million? what vital function is he performing? that's my 7 million.'

That's what I thought, I knowthere are IFAs etc on here who may have corrected me. I think Madoff paid out around 16% annually to his clients. Perhaps that was McIndoe's advertising line "Better returns that Bernie Madoff"

I'd love to be a football agent, money for nothing. A friend of mine knows an agent who bagged thousands of pounds for several players coming out of the Under 19s at SPL clubs getting signed on a pre-contract. These are kids who are given a chance to make a go of it, most of them will probably be released and drop down a few levels but agents are raking in thousands of pounds for their contracts (which would be given anyway as SPL clubs need a number of U19s on their bench every week). It's a racket.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Looks like we have journeyman McIndoe to blame for a lot of life's ills,

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/hundred-football-stars-caught-30million-4915352

Good to see that 3 years on its still a very curious case.

£30,000,000 divided by 100 football "stars" is £300,000 each. But one guy lost £500,000, another a million, Bullard £650,000, Keane a "fortune", say another £500,000.

There are also other "investors" outwith footballing circles plus Lower league players who presumably don't count as "stars", so the average lost per person would be a lot less than £300,000.

What we really need is a list of his clients with sums invested, along the lines of the Rangers debts list which used to be floating about, so that we can have a right good gloat about rich mens greed and stupidity, and tut tut about the ridiculous wages paid to journeymen footballers, not to mention the obscene amount "stars" earn.

A journeyman is not someone who moves about a lot. It's somebody who is competent at their job but no more:

To be fair it can be easily percieved as both. I would say more nomadic but I'm not going to be a tedious bellend and pull up folk about it.

Archived