Upcoming Film Releases

11thHour

This was released in Japan last week, Kaze Tachinu (The Wind is Rising). It's the latest from Ghibli and Miyazaki, with Takahata also releasing a film based on The Bamboo Cutter later on this year.

Kaze Tachinu is a fictionalised biography of Jiro Horikoshi, who designed many fighter aeroplanes, notably the Mitsubishi A6M Zero. It is, also, by all accounts a nostalgic romp through 1920s and 30s Japan. Scenes in the trailer include a depiction of the 1923 Great Kanto Earthquake and the 1929 stock market crash. It's currently sitting on an 8.6/10 rating on imdb.

The film features 'dream' sequences which involve Jiro meeting the Italian aeroplane designer Giovanni Caproni. Caproni's company designed the Caproni Ca.309 "Ghibli" from which the studio takes it's name.

The film is a bit of something new from Miyazki, who's films are generally set in fictional worlds, so perhaps stylistically it's more comparable with Takahata's films. I've read it pays some tribute to Grave of the Fireflies and perhaps with the nostalgic flashback element Only Yesterday. From Miyasaki's previous work Porco Rosso seems the most stylistically similar. Kaze Tachinu also seems to feature a tuberculosis storyline a la My Neighbour Totoro.

Doubts seem to have been raised over a possible release in the West. Disney would have the distribution rights, however they may not be keen to distribute a film about a man who designed the planes that used to hit american battleships on kamikaze missions and all the controversy that would entail. I've already read about some rather touchy people complaining about the film paying no attention to Japanese war atrocities and so forth. It may then be left, like Only Yesterday, as an undubbed, unreleased rarity in the USA. Anyway, I can't wait to watch it somehow.

Edited by Enigma

Really looking forward to seeing the trailer for 'American Hustle' from David O.Russell (Silver Linings, the Fighter) which is out at the end of the year. Looks good from the pictures so far. It's a con man film based on real life events based in 70s/80s I believe. Cracking cast:

Christian Bale

Amy Adams

Bradley Cooper

Jennifer Lawrence

Jeremy Renner

Robert De Niro

Jack Huston

Louis C.k

Michael Pena

Have to say Renner looks class 8)

23-american-hustle.jpg

Really looking forward to seeing the trailer for 'American Hustle' from David O.Russell (Silver Linings, the Fighter) which is out at the end of the year. Looks good from the pictures so far. It's a con man film based on real life events based in 70s/80s I believe. Cracking cast:

Christian Bale

Amy Adams

Bradley Cooper

Jennifer Lawrence

Jeremy Renner

Robert De Niro

Jack Huston

Louis C.k

Michael Pena

• 2 weeks later...