Big Rangers Administration/Liquidation Thread - All chat here!

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Were Scottish Cup games really on the season ticket until the late 1980s?  Was that the case elsewhere too?  What about European games?

I'd have thought the difficulty with Cup ties wouldn't have just been gate sharing, but uncertainty about how many games there might be.

Guaranteed home draw every round ;)

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Were Scottish Cup games really on the season ticket until the late 1980s?  Was that the case elsewhere too?  What about European games?

I'd have thought the difficulty with Cup ties wouldn't have just been gate sharing, but uncertainty about how many games there might be.

You have to remember that we never had anywhere near the number  of season ticket holders back then. All games were included except for European Games. League Cup, Scottish Cup and Glasgow Cup. 

2 hours ago, BobWilliamson said:

I go to every game at Ibrox and that's all I can do at the moment. I encourage the other lads I go with to buy their cup tickets.

If others choose not to go then fine. As long as they remember when they had the chance to help the club out they were busy doing something else.

Obviously you don't know me but believe me I am going to be there regardless. I hope the support stand by the club but only time will tell. If they don't then as far as I am concerned they were true supporters in the first place.

You seem a genuine level headed fan with a fair grasp on reality.  I play golf with a season ticket holder who has the same kind of views .  We have regularly debated these issues and what can be the solution.  He often says that he wishes Fergus McCann was a Rangers fan because of what he laid down at Celtic and that he is really frustrated and annoyed that the best option is Dave King. 

For people like you and my mate I wish you all the best, but for every one of you there seems to be  at least 10 arseholes who just put the whole situation into perspective. I think the future is quite bleak. 

12 minutes ago, BobWilliamson said:

You have to remember that we never had anywhere near the number  of season ticket holders back then. All games were included except for European Games. League Cup, Scottish Cup and Glasgow Cup. 

Yes, perhaps it was the norm everywhere.

Was the crowd still mainly pay at the gate in the early Souness years then?  As I recall, the capacity then was 44,000 and it was pretty full most weeks.

I sometimes wonder what the disappearance of season tickets would do to crowds.  I think for instance that in the EPL, a lot of crowds are big, merely because they're big - if that makes any sense.

36 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

You seem a genuine level headed fan with a fair grasp on reality.  I play golf with a season ticket holder who has the same kind of views .  We have regularly debated these issues and what can be the solution.  He often says that he wishes Fergus McCann was a Rangers fan because of what he laid down at Celtic and that he is really frustrated and annoyed that the best option is Dave King. 

For people like you and my mate I wish you all the best, but for every one of you there seems to be  at least 10 arseholes who just put the whole situation into perspective. I think the future is quite bleak. 

I think for every 10 of your mate there is 1 loudmouthed spoilt arse who just wants success and he wants that success now and to hell with the consequences. 

34 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, perhaps it was the norm everywhere.

Was the crowd still mainly pay at the gate in the early Souness years then?  As I recall, the capacity then was 44,000 and it was pretty full most weeks.

I sometimes wonder what the disappearance of season tickets would do to crowds.  I think for instance that in the EPL, a lot of crowds are big, merely because they're big - if that makes any sense.

I remember we could pay in at nearly every away ground including Celtic Park. It did all change in 1986 with the arrival of Souness. Prior to that most would consider 25,000 a very decent crowd. We would get that against the Edinburgh clubs and Aberdeen and the Old Firm games would more or less always sell out. 

I had a season ticket from a fairly young age as i suppose it saved my old man forking out every week. Season Ticket was my birthday present every year. 

Crowds around then (Late 80S) would be mid 30,000s. 

Take season tickets away and the crowd would half over night in my opinion. There are many who go through habit but if they had to buy a ticket every week simply wouldn't bother. I know a few with season tickets that just don't bother half the time.

Next seasons uptake will be interesting. There are many who honestly believed we were going for 55 this season. 

9 hours ago, Forever_blueco said:

I think the support has been the only positive and consistent part of the last 5 years . It is up to mr King and co to keep the support on side as they only way support was dwindle is if he continues to backtrack on his words and no real investment is seen to me made in the playing side and I am not talking millions upon millions, I just mean safe and sensible signings which have not been evident this season and we continue to play second fiddle to Celtic without any hint of a challenge then you might see attendances dwindle  . We need to see continued improvement on a season by season basis and king needs to show that honesty and transparency he promised when he was brought in . If he is never going to invest seriously in the playing side then let us know where we stand instead of boasting of 30 million pound war chests and whatever 

Given the gulf in finances between them and Celtic, Rangers would need a top manager to have any hope of closing the gap.  In fact, if Rangers were to live within their means, i.e. break even on an annual basis without taking out further soft loans, they might not be second either. Imagine ditching two or three million quids worth of salary from the current Rangers squad and see what is left.

Short of some black swan catastrophe (or miracle, delete as appropriate), I can't see Celtic being knocked off their perch for the foreseeable future.  They might screw up once every ten years but it has been shown that there's a strong correlation between the cost of a squad and its final league position (for example https://tomkinstimes.com/2014/01/money-buys-success-the-proof-you-need/).  Someone would need to break Celtic's stranglehold on CL money to have any chance of shifting the balance, and that would have to be more than a one-off, too.

Going back to your point, I wonder how Rangers support will hold up if they only manage the odd win against Celtic.  Will that be enough to keep the myth of 'closing the gap' going?

1 hour ago, The DA said:

Given the gulf in finances between them and Celtic, Rangers would need a top manager to have any hope of closing the gap.  In fact, if Rangers were to live within their means, i.e. break even on an annual basis without taking out further soft loans, they might not be second either. Imagine ditching two or three million quids worth of salary from the current Rangers squad and see what is left.

Short of some black swan catastrophe (or miracle, delete as appropriate), I can't see Celtic being knocked off their perch for the foreseeable future.  They might screw up once every ten years but it has been shown that there's a strong correlation between the cost of a squad and its final league position (for example https://tomkinstimes.com/2014/01/money-buys-success-the-proof-you-need/).  Someone would need to break Celtic's stranglehold on CL money to have any chance of shifting the balance, and that would have to be more than a one-off, too.

Going back to your point, I wonder how Rangers support will hold up if they only manage the odd win against Celtic.  Will that be enough to keep the myth of 'closing the gap' going?

Anyone Who makes predictions such as Celtic screwing up once very ten years really fails to grasp football , Celtic are strongest just now and yes look like the next few years might be rosy but stranger things have happened in this game and to talk about decade after decade of continued domination is rediculous . Only last season where they involved in a title fight with Aberdeen until about March of the season , right now Celtic have a good manager and that is what has them where they are . For as long as Rodgers is there Celtic will probably continue to dominate but after that it really depends on the personnel they attract to replace him . Could work out for them and could not 

7 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

That ratio fails to stand up to scrutiny when we hear the songbook belted out so regularly by so many.

The difference between you and I is I am more than happy to condemn Rangers supporters when they over step the mark. I do it on Follow Follow on a regular basis.

I take it if I check the Rangers v Aberdeen match thread on here you condemned the Aberdeen support for yet again singing about the Ibrox disaster?

Its ok I don't think I ll bother. I think I know exactly what I will find

24 minutes ago, BobWilliamson said:

The difference between you and I is I am more than happy to condemn Rangers supporters when they over step the mark. I do it on Follow Follow on a regular basis.

I take it if I check the Rangers v Aberdeen match thread on here you condemned the Aberdeen support for yet again singing about the Ibrox disaster?

Its ok I don't think I ll bother. I think I know exactly what I will find

If they had sung it, I would have. I was there you see and heard the BB's that shite about walls and the thing about Bobby Sands. Nothing about the Ibrox Disaster. That was scrawled on a bus, outside of Aberdeen, hours before the game.

And I condemn that graffiti & willful criminal damage perpetrated by persons unknown and with no known association with Aberdeen FC, it's fans or the city, utterly and without reservation.

The bit about Simmie was spot on tho.

Thanks for playing.

WMM

ETA. If you do voice your displeasure and condemn the filth sung by yer hordes, I take my hat off to you. However, it is always "the minority" when this is raised. But it does sound an awful lot like we're talking 10's of thousands at Ibrox, like at the recent celtic game. And (here's a wee hint for you) the Bobby Sands song has a wee airplane hand action, watch the away supports, a'body is doing it.

Minority my hole.

Edited by williemillersmoustache

18 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

If they had sung it, I would have. I was there you see and heard the BB's that shite about walls and the thing about Bobby Sands. Nothing about the Ibrox Disaster. That was scrawled on a bus, outside of Aberdeen, hours before the game.

And I condemn that graffiti & willful criminal damage perpetrated by persons unknown and with no known association with Aberdeen FC, it's fans or the city, utterly and without reservation.

The bit about Simmie was spot on tho.

Thanks for playing.

WMM

ETA. If you do voice your displeasure and condemn the filth sung by yer hordes, I take my hat off to you. However, it is always "the minority" when this is raised. But it does sound an awful lot like we're talking 10's of thousands at Ibrox. Like at the recent celtic game and (here's a wee hint for you) the Bobby Sands song has a wee airplane hand action, watch the away supports, a'body is doing it.

Minority my hole.

What on earth are you talking about here in all honesty , a Bobby sands song with airplane actions in the away end at the recent rangers v Celtic match ? Can any Celtic fans confirm what this ditty is that has yous praising Bobby sands whilst you simulate a plane ? Thanks 

Edited by Forever_blueco

19 minutes ago, BobWilliamson said:

1. How many Rangers fans do you estimate sang the Billy Boys at the Celtic game 2 weeks back?

2. Did you condemn this on follow follow?

3. Can you provide proof of #2

If you can do all this then I will adopt you as my favourite Rangers fan. Which is saying something considering my dad and sister both support them. But I've never liked either of them much anyway. 

Just now, Forever_blueco said:

What on earth are you talking about here in all honesty , a Bobby sands song with airplane actions in the away end at the recent rangers v Celtic match ? Can any Celtic fans confirm what this ditty is that has yous pairing Bobby sands whilst you simulate a plane ? Thanks 

its the walls yin.  You charmingly chant "f**k Bobby Sand, he's deid" and then there's a wee hand movement. Usually, to your credit, in perfect unison. And no i was referring to rangers away games, I moved the comma/full stop incorrectly, apologies.

Just now, williemillersmoustache said:

its the walls yin.  You charmingly chant "f**k Bobby Sand, he's deid" and then there's a wee hand movement. Usually, to your credit, in perfect unison. And no i was referring to rangers away games, I moved the comma/full stop incorrectly, apologies.

I have absoloutely no idea what you are in about , fully aware of the chant but completely unaware of the aeroplane hand movement you are referring to .

35 minutes ago, BinoBalls said:

1. How many Rangers fans do you estimate sang the Billy Boys at the Celtic game 2 weeks back?

2. Did you condemn this on follow follow?

3. Can you provide proof of #2

If you can do all this then I will adopt you as my favourite Rangers fan. Which is saying something considering my dad and sister both support them. But I've never liked either of them much anyway. 

He could provide the proof of #2 but then he'd also out himself as No8 ;)