Big Rangers Administration/Liquidation Thread - All chat here!

The Old Firm surfed on the wave of bigotry for decades. The Old Firm used sectarianism as de facto branding of their clubs. Get your head out of the sand / your arse.

sorry Florie but you can't drag celtic into this, as has been stated many, many times on here - it is only Rangers fans who are sectarian.

To class Celtic fans as being sectarian is in itself sectarian © Graham spiers.

I can only think of one club that has felt the need to create a 'ten point plan' to remind fans that being a bigot isn't accpetable.

I can only think of one club that felt the need to send out a book reminding grown adults of what is acceptable to sing in public. :lol::lol::lol:

Grown adults FFS :lol:

Rangers pandered to bigots for years when sectarianism wasn't considered a problem, if the club are embarrased by people like this then they really shouldn't have created the problem for themselves in the first place.

I seem to recall Motherwell FC pleading with their fans to stop being racist and issuing guidlines about it.

People in glass houses.......

sorry Florie but you can't drag celtic into this, as has been stated many, many times on here - it is only Rangers fans who are sectarian.

Don't be facetious Bennett.

You know fine that most of us see Celtic as an equal part of the problem, as witnessed by their continued pandering to the Green Brigade.

Desolee, mon cher Bennee, mais tu est trop subtile pour moi.

I'd go so far as to say they virtually did create it in its current form.

Without the two clubs deliberately providing this focus for sectarian sentiment over the last century, I think there would be far less evidence of it via Orange Walks etc.

These clubs did not devise sectarianism, but they harnessed it and have sustained it in ways that have made it harder for it to die out.

Very much this, Liverpool and Manchester in particular had significant Irish Catholic immigration at the same time as the West of Scotland yet that type of sectarianism is virtually non existent in comparison. I wonder why?

no they didn't , they were used at a certain time when trouble and tension was rife between protestant and irish/catholic woring classes of the city as a means for people to express their viewpoints. it just so happened that football at the time was the working class game at the time and when celtic became the club for the poor irish immigrants and particularly catholic immigrants of the city then the protestant working class began to associate with a particular club and given aswell that govan had a huge percentage of protestant working class northern irishmen working in the shipyards at the time and although also poor and newly immigrated to the country they probably felt they could not connect with celtic due to the whole catholicism part. It was probably around 1910's 20's before rangers started becoming the "proddie" club.

What part of my previous post does the above even refute, let alone disprove?

I'll say it again. The two clubs exploited and harnessed sectarian sentiment, which has lent such sentiment the wings to carry it well beyond the 20th Century. Without these duel focuses, I think it would largely have died out by now.

I seem to recall Motherwell FC pleading with their fans to stop being racist and issuing guidlines about it.

People in glass houses.......

Imagine if we had to send a book to all our fans telling us what is acceptable to sing in public. :lol:

Just imagine. :lol:

I'll say it again. The two clubs exploited and harnessed sectarian sentiment, which has lent such sentiment the wings to carry it well beyond the 20th Century. Without these duel focuses, I think it would largely have died out by now.

Exactly this.

Rangers and Celtic both gave the bigots a platform to spout bile and have profited massively from doing so.

Two pretty vile clubs.

Very much this, Liverpool and Manchester in particular had significant Irish Catholic immigration at the same time as the West of Scotland yet that type of sectarianism is virtually non existent in comparison. I wonder why?

beacuase historically most of the Irish imigrants came to Scotland came from the northern Irish area where the trouble and hatred was more intense than the south of Ireland which had a population of whom the majority were republican and catholic whereas the north was always more divided with having a huge percentage of both communities. put that in with the fact that glaswegians saw the irish as a threat to their jobs and the catholocism they brought with them was a threat to their presbyterian ways and hey presto you have the formation of how the secterian divide came into play in Glasgow.

What part of my previous post does the above even refute, let alone disprove?

I really dont think it would have , look at northern ireland, there hatred seems to dwell just fine without the help of rangers and celtic.

I really dont think it would have , look at northern ireland, there hatred seems to dwell just fine without the help of rangers and celtic.

Yes, but I think the dispute was perhaps a little more heated there as it concerned who would actually govern those that lived there.

Have you heard of the troubles young man?

It runs much deeper in Northern Ireland than it does in Scotland.

We have never had a conflict.

that is because catholicism was more or less eradicated in scotland untill the influx of Irish immigartion began in the 19th century began a bit of an upsurge in the percenatages of catholics in scotland , whereas those in north of ireland spent centuries fighting over it because catholicism was still strong and made up a large percentage of the population whereas in scotland catholicism more or less was dying a slow lingering death after the reformation and the catholics were very low in numbers and tended to be mostly from the highlands so any sort of fight from the catholic population who took up about 3-5 percent of the population would have seen them utterly destroyed.