Big Rangers Administration/Liquidation Thread - All chat here!

A wee question for the boards legal beagles and financial foxes.

Ashley has been blocked form buying shares direct from the club via a shares issue by the SFA, so if club sold him shares then they'd be in soapy bubble.

But what if Ashley bought shares privately from the 'open market' (?) Would the club be held accountable by the SFA for something which they could claim was outside their control?

"Shell Companies".

An oft used strategy in the murky business world used to hide the true purchaser of many things of interest to financial regulators.

Often too complicated to unravel not to mention the costs involved.

Would be simple enough for Ashley to organise...

...If he thought that type of skullduggery was worth the effort or, more importantly, the risk to his businesses if caught.

So he's doing a bit of a Tommy Craig?

I suppose the difference being that he apparently has Ally's backing.

f**k all to do with Ally's backing. He has a contract with the club. I, and anyone else with an ounce of common sense, would imagine that the contract of someone employed as assistant manager would include a clause indicated that he would take over managerial duties in the absence of the manager. The manager hasn't yet been sacked, so his assistant is replacing him. Is that so difficult to understand? Or are you just trying to stir shit?

There's quite a few businesses who would see their balance sheets look healthier if it wasn't for that pesky VAT and PAYE in the debit column. ;)

The only ways rangers could have survived was either by emulating their Sisters with their transfer dealings, or with a regular extended presence in European competition. A common failing amongst ra peepul is a failure to see that 2008 was an aberration, rather than the new norm.

Rangers did fairly well in transfer market with several good sales going down south, made a tidy profit on a few players and were actually buying/brigning in players quite wisely.

We're just going to have to disagree on this one as it's silly to argue about this.

"Shell Companies".

An oft used strategy in the murky business world used to hide the true purchaser of many things of interest to financial regulators.

Often too complicated to unravel not to mention the costs involved.

Would be simple enough for Ashley to organise...

...If he thought that type of skullduggery was worth the effort or, more importantly, the risk to his businesses if caught.

I reckon we already have two of those shell companies as it is.

Is flogging sports gear to Rangers fans really worth all this effort though, when he already owns one of larger EPL clubs?

I can see that happening, debt for property and more one sided deals etc.

Think it's 10% he's alllowed. Still don't see how they could enforce any action against Ashley if he bought the shares from say Laxley/blue pitch etc but the club would be different matter i suppose.

I think it's much less than 10% otherwise Ashley would still be an anonymous shareholder.

I believe he would be able to tell them he's not doing it, save for a few weeks, without being in breach of his contract.

He obviously wants the job despite all the shite that's befallen his pals. He should spare us the 'difficult position' pish.

Edited by H Wragg

That is totally out of order! We are talking about real, decent people who have lost their jobs. Do you feel the same about the employees who are losing their jobs because they worked for the b*****d who owns City Link?

Now, I know City Link as one of the more reliable parcel delivery services, although I understand other customers have had varying levels of dissatisfaction with their service. I am not aware of any dodgy financial practises or corruption within the company and, as far as the news reports tell it, they have gone under through a failure to compete. Managerial incompetence is not unknown in modern Business, you know.

The new club at ibrox has pissed away tens of millions of pounds, vastly overspent on players and senior employees, while allowing the infrastructure of the club to wither. How much maintenance has actually been done recently? The writing was on the wall for this lot from Day One - those of us on the outside could see it, and if my mortgage and food depended on it, I'd have been looking to get out pretty fucking sharpish. The clusterfuck at ibrox has been played out in the MSM since the start, and I would expect those actually working there to know more than me. Sitting there thinking things were going to come out fine in the end would have been the act of a simpleton.

That is totally out of order! We are talking about real, decent people who have lost their jobs. Do you feel the same about the employees who are losing their jobs because they worked for the b*****d who owns City Link?

Don't recall citylink delivering bigotted parcels or cheating all the other 3rd party logistics firms for years. Do you?

My point is that it is not just the c***s at the top that are the problem, the whole club is poison, no redeeming features and you need to throw the baby and the bathroom, if not the whole house (big) out with the bathwater to cleanse it.

You want to blame anyone, blame Murray, he abandoned ship and all the employees when he sold to Whyte. But frankly if you couldn't smell the reek of of impending doom at Ibrox then your nose is not fit for purpose.

Now, I know City Link as one of the more reliable parcel delivery services, although I understand other customers have had varying levels of dissatisfaction with their service. I am not aware of any dodgy financial practises or corruption within the company and, as far as the news reports tell it, they have gone under through a failure to compete. Managerial incompetence is not unknown in modern Business, you know.

The new club at ibrox has pissed away tens of millions of pounds, vastly overspent on players and senior employees, while allowing the infrastructure of the club to wither. How much maintenance has actually been done recently? The writing was on the wall for this lot from Day One - those of us on the outside could see it, and if my mortgage and food depended on it, I'd have been looking to get out pretty fucking sharpish. The clusterfuck at ibrox has been played out in the MSM since the start, and I would expect those actually working there to know more than me. Sitting there thinking things were going to come out fine in the end would have been the act of a simpleton.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/city-link-job-losses-meet-4879447

The multi-millionaire put parcel carrier City Link into administration after their final Christmas deliveries were made and staff headed home for the festive period.

It was left to union reps to email all 2727 workers – including staff from the company’s depots in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Motherwell and Livingston – on Christmas Day with the devastating news their jobs were at risk.

Mick Cash, general secretary of the RMT union, raged: “The timing of the announcement stinks to high heaven. This was the most brutal and callous way to treat nearly 3000 staff.”

Moulton donated more than £450,000 to the Tories between 2004 and 2011, pouring funds into the party’s war chest to get David Cameron elected.

The fatcat has called for deeper public spending cuts and for low-paid workers to get the same tax rates as the mega-rich.

His investment firm Better Capital bought City Link for just £1 last year and he claimed he could turn the struggling firm around.

Cash raged: “They haven’t allowed it to move forward – they’ve put only a small amount of money in. They should have invested, took a long term view, and if they’d have done that, we wouldn’t be talking about all these redundancies.”

Some workers said they learned of their fate through the media and bosses have yet to speak to them.

Employee Mark Critchley called on them to “man up” and visit offices to explain the decision. He said they insisted jobs were secure up to Christmas Eve.

Mark said: “They’ve had plenty of opportunity to say we’re going to close down. They could have helped people rather than

dropping them in it. They’re all very cowardly men who will not face the music.”

Labour said the timing of the announcement was “inexcusable”. MP Paul Flynn accused City Link bosses of “indifference,

cynicism and stupidity”.

Last night, the RMT wrote to Business Secretary Vince Cable demanding an urgent meeting. Cable said he would meet the union, adding: “This is a bitter blow for the workforce.”

City Link operations have been suspended at all their depots until Monday, when customers and those expecting deliveries can collect parcels. Moulton was unavailable for comment.

Don't recall citylink delivering bigotted parcels or cheating all the other 3rd party logistics firms for years. Do you?

My point is that it is not just the c***s at the top that are the problem, the whole club is poison, no redeeming features and you need to throw the baby and the bathroom, if not the whole house (big) out with the bathwater to cleanse it.

You want to blame anyone, blame Murray, he abandoned ship and all the employees when he sold to Whyte. But frankly if you couldn't smell the reek of of impending doom at Ibrox then your nose is not fit for purpose.

So you know everyone who worked at Ibrox and MP? Or are you just giving your opinion based on your views of Murray and the bigotted fans you came across? I have no love for Rangers either, they ruined Scottish football when I attended matches regularly by buying up any players who were a threat to them (Celtic did the same) just to ruin other teams' chances. Why not just wish that every company that employs a Rangers fan goes bust as well. They shouldn't be employing bigots. A lot of good people will lose their jobs but "Collateral Damage" and all that. Your point is that you're talking out of your arsehole.

I reckon we already have two of those shell companies as it is.

Is flogging sports gear to Rangers fans really worth all this effort though, when he already owns one of larger EPL clubs?

Depends on Ashley's grand plan.

The relevant financial markets chatter on incesantly about SportsDirect having to make more inroads into European markets and, as has been discussed before, it's conceivable that he sees the idea of having Ibrox wearing similar clothing to St. James's Park helping that.

Ashley isn't stupid. To date, he's only involved at a low level (shares and the, secured, loans) the SFA knockback will either make him more determined to pursue his interest or consider that this idea of increased corporate marketing via another football team isn't worth the hassle and look elsewhere.

If, and it's a HUGE if, he was to be able to sell Newcastle (current asking price circa £150m) then the game changes, potentially in favour of TRIFC (and their glory hunting bretheren)

Footballing glories, bought and paid for by a benevolent oligarch, (NOT by the fans) might yet return to a place soon to be known as SportsDirect Arena ll.

The cost of that will, of course, be that all profits from merchandise and tv go to Ashley and not the team. Whoever is manager needs to work with him to improve his squads.

Many managers have tried, and failed on that.

So... Mr Ashley...

Good guy (football glory)...?

or w**k (money making mogul) ?

Depends on Ashley's grand plan.

The relevant financial markets chatter on incesantly about SportsDirect having to make more inroads into European markets and, as has been discussed before, it's conceivable that he sees the idea of having Ibrox wearing similar clothing to St. James's Park helping that.

Ashley isn't stupid. To date, he's only involved at a low level (shares and the, secured, loans) the SFA knockback will either make him more determined to pursue his interest or consider that this idea of increased corporate marketing via another football team isn't worth the hassle and look elsewhere.

If, and it's a HUGE if, he was to be able to sell Newcastle (current asking price circa £150m) then the game changes, potentially in favour of TRIFC (and their glory hunting bretheren)

Footballing glories, bought and paid for by a benevolent oligarch, (NOT by the fans) might yet return to a place soon to be known as SportsDirect Arena ll.

The cost of that will, of course, be that all profits from merchandise and tv go to Ashley and not the team. Whoever is manager needs to work with him to improve his squads.

Many managers have tried, and failed on that.

So... Mr Ashley...

Good guy (football glory)...?

or w**k (money making mogul) ?

Even if Rangers were to play in Europe, Newcastle/EPL games are probably watched by more people than a Scottish team in Europe will ever get. The only plus side i can see is that he wouldn't suffer the current levels of ineptitude.

Even if Rangers were to play in Europe, Newcastle/EPL games are probably watched by more people than a Scottish team in Europe will ever get. The only plus side i can see is that he wouldn't suffer the current levels of ineptitude.

It's all about exposure (ooooer missus!) That is acheived in every country that the team visits as well as the home games, the pre and post match conferences and supplemental tv shows made by each countries own broadcasters, most of whom have a much less restrictive code of conduct than here. The cost of this sort of coverage through other, more regular, advertising sources is huge.

Once established in the public eye it then opens up the chance for Ashley to have successfull store launches in the European markets. It's this that the finance institutions want to see so that they can glean more profits from increasing returns.

The markets are insatiable when it comes to growth. Until it all goes POP! The trick is, knowing when to jump.

Ashley is a well reknowned c**t and an utter control freak. There is no dispute about this.

Yep, the three incumbents of your board would be out the door faster than a Fat Sally chairman endorsement.

However, it's this single mindedness that's got Ashley where he is. Make absolutely no mistake, he has no love of football in a fans sense.

The money swirling around and within it however....

It's all about exposure (ooooer missus!) That is acheived in every country that the team visits as well as the home games, the pre and post match conferences and supplemental tv shows made by each countries own broadcasters, most of whom have a much less restrictive code of conduct than here. The cost of this sort of coverage through other, more regular, advertising sources is huge.

Once established in the public eye it then opens up the chance for Ashley to have successfull store launches in the European markets. It's this that the finance institutions want to see so that they can glean more profits from increasing returns.

Sports direct already operate in 19 European countries, and have mail order available to many more (at no postal cost).

He is operating in countries that know more of sports direct than they do Rangers

http://www.sportsdirectplc.com/about-us/where-we-operate.aspx

Are we hearing about devastating Armageddon at Easter Road this lunchtime ?

Naw !

I am just wondering where you stand on the Tax issue..I take it you instruct your accountant to make sure you pay the absolute maximum.

Deary me. It is morally disgusting for a company to legally pay as little tax as possible but it is morally delightful to watch a company be liquidated and for people to lose their jobs. :1eye

Don't be daft.

It is great and just that the immoral practice of employing millionaires in ways that enabled them to duck tax obligations the rest of us meet, cost the club its existence.

Football clubs, even big ones, are not large employers. Whilst job losses for regular people are regrettable, let's not insult the intelligence of either of us, by pretending that the tears you've shed over what happened, have anything to do with such concerns.