Tartan Army

Guest Follow Follow

Do u think the Tartan Army are and Embarassment?  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Follow Follow

I am an avid fan of the Tartan Amry ( and yes i am a *** bfore any jokes fly )

I am in the travel club, but upon an arguement with a friend i discovered how he hated the Tartan Army

Wats ur feelings??

CalderwoodPTFC this one is aimed at u!!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Calderwood PTFC

Im as much a patriotic Scot as the next person, however i hate the "tartan army". the ones who dress up in kilts and drink all day and spew up in the street (sound familiar follow follow?) they are truly an embarassment to the country. Half of these people dont even support clubs and just go to the games for the sake of a good pissup and have the " we'll get humped but we're just here for a good time mentality". It really gets on my tits and thats why i have stoped attending Scotland games, although i watch them on tv and still want us to do well.

Im as much a patriotic Scot as the next person, however i hate the "tartan army". the ones who dress up in kilts and drink all day and spew up in the street (sound familiar follow follow?) they are truly an embarassment to the country. Half of these people dont even support clubs and just go to the games for the sake of a good pissup and have the " we'll get humped but we're just here for a good time mentality". It really gets on my tits and thats why i have stoped attending Scotland games, although i watch them on tv and still want us to do well.

464265[/snapback]

I am a Travel Club member as well, i wear my kilt to most games, hoping to go to Norway for my first away game in September, i like to have quite afew drinks beforehand, to make it more of a good feeling.

However, although i dont agree, at all with us being an "embaraasement" at all, quite the opposite, i can see why some people, especially people who are used to there sides winnign (am not having aid with that comment) getting slightly peeved with the whole lets get pished who gives a Feck about the score. I dont thinky uor in a minority with that view in all fairness.

Guest Pompey

I dislike the Tartan Army, I think they're an embarrassment.

Flashing at women and kids is not, in my opinion, acceptable behaviour.

Cant believe people think the tartan army are an embarrassment. Its just patriotic scots having a good time. Only away game i have been to so far was germany and i had a great time. Obviously there are some non-football fans there but it adds to the banter.

In Milan I saw no-one spewing and I saw no-one flashing at women, children, or indeed anyone else. Again in Wales, I saw no-one doing either of these two things, although I did meet one or two people who were too drunk and seemed to me like they were there for the booze etc rather than the football.

Do the people who talk about these things actually go on trips, or do they just say whatever Jim Traynor says? :rolleyes:

I have never seen any travelling support come to Scotland sober. So why are people getting high and mighty about Scotland fans having a drink? The only difference between us and any other country (or, indeed, club) is that we wear national dress, travel in better numbers, and go to have a good time, not cause trouble.

I think, as football fans go, the TA are excellent ambassadors for Scotland. Of course people are going to be drunk. Anyone here who has got drunk on holiday, please stop being hypocritical.

The Dutch fans were all pished at Hampden, and they didn't seem to care about the result. They were over for a good time, and were trying to join in our singing at the end of the game in the streets.

Guest Follow Follow
In Milan I saw no-one spewing and I saw no-one flashing at women, children, or indeed anyone else. Again in Wales, I saw no-one doing either of these two things, although I did meet one or two people who were too drunk and seemed to me like they were there for the booze etc rather than the football.

Do the people who talk about these things actually go on trips, or do they just say whatever Jim Traynor says?  :rolleyes:

I have never seen any travelling support come to Scotland sober. So why are people getting high and mighty about Scotland fans having a drink? The only difference between us and any other country (or, indeed, club) is that we wear national dress, travel in better numbers, and go to have a good time, not cause trouble.

I think, as football fans go, the TA are excellent ambassadors for Scotland. Of course people are going to be drunk. Anyone here who has got drunk on holiday, please stop being hypocritical.

The Dutch fans were all pished at Hampden, and they didn't seem to care about the result. They were over for a good time, and were trying to join in our singing at the end of the game in the streets.

464879[/snapback]

Well said ma man, and as for the idiots who believe the TA are embarassing then f**k off and stay well clear of the international scene

464879[/snapback]

The Norwegians were the same, both at Hampden, and at Broadwood for the Under 21 game, and the Slovenians were drinking on the trains to Mount Florida back in September. I spoke to quite a few of each before the games, and they said that they would be afraid to mix with the opposition in some other countries, but they know that the Scots are friendly. :)

The TA do a lot of good for Scotland's footballing reputation IMO. Sure there are some who go for a good time, but considering how poorly we've performed recently, surely it's better that they travel in, ahem, high spirits, than getting depressed and fighting anything that moves? :unsure::rolleyes:

I agree that they are definitely not a disgrace. Even in the England game when i was there, walking down the street having a laugh with everyone. England fans i talked to wished the English fans were like the Tartan Army instead of known as hooligans. The TA do Scotland Proud and are always well thought of and respected, and known as friendly. So what if everyone gets drunk and has a good time, yes they are just as dissapointed by losing, but after all its just a game, they are paying a lot of money to go them all, why not also have some fun?

Guest BRFC Tartan Army

My mate who's English wishes he was Scottish so he can be a member of the "famous tartan army" His reasons:

No trouble at games

Great atmosphere at games

Very patriotic fans

Guest gypsyboy

There's no chance that the tartan army are an embarssment its like clyde's gypsy army at least scotland still have fans who do go to the national games no matter if we are shyte

Guest Pompey

Hmm, I tried to quote Chris, but got "FollowFollow" - if that is his real name instead.

Anyway - Chris, you say you didn't see the TA flashing in the streets of Cardiff? I suppose you weren't anywhere near Queen Street? I went to Cardiff, first and foremost to see Scotland teach the Welsh a footballing lesson :unsure::ph34r: , and second to have a good time. I do not consider a good time to have been with my mate's mother, seeing about five big hairy pairs of baws as kilts were deliberately lifted on Queen Street.

Originally, the TA were a force for good, when Scotland had hooligan fans. But now, they have become a parody of themeselves, and believe their own press.

I don't think there's anything wrong with supporting the Nation through thin and thin, but there's something badly wrong when people stay in the stadium applauding for half an hour after a drawing with Aberdeen North, or losing to Lithuania, or drawing with Moldavia.

I'm sure you'd admit that an awful lot of TA are abroad to get pished and be professional TA, not to support the team.

And as for the ludicrous pish in the Press: "Donald MacIver, Commander of the Ullapool branch of the Tartan Army Footsoldiers", that pisses me off too.

Many are good guys, but a lot are there just to be TA - not to watch football, and not to support Scotland.

Guest Pompey

By the way, Tormod, would that include not only not being proud of having a player play in one of the top 5 European leagues in the National squad, who will be playing at least in the UEFA Cup next year; but booing him???

THAT, is negative.

I don't think anyone needs any advice from you on negativity whilst following Scotland. :rolleyes:

Guest Guinness_Alan
The only difference between us and any other country (or, indeed, club) is that we wear national dress, travel in better numbers, and go to have a good time, not cause trouble.

464879[/snapback]

Sorry, but while I agree with a lot of what you say, I have to argue that a football top, a kilt which is either too long or too short (without a sporran), and a pair of hiking boots is not Scotland's national dress! When I see fans dressed like that at games I am embarrassed.

While most Scotland fans are good natured and there to enjoy themselves, there are some who go with no intention of even trying to see the game.

In the main the Tartan Army are good for Scotland, but there is a (sadly growing) minority who are an embarrassment.

Originally, the TA were a force for good, when Scotland had hooligan fans. But now, they have become a parody of themeselves, and believe their own press.

I don't think there's anything wrong with supporting the Nation through thin and thin, but there's something badly wrong when people stay in the stadium applauding for half an hour after a drawing with Aberdeen North, or losing to Lithuania, or drawing with Moldavia.

I'm sure you'd admit that an awful lot of TA are abroad to get pished and be professional TA, not to support the team.

And as for the ludicrous pish in the Press: "Donald MacIver, Commander of the Ullapool branch of the Tartan Army Footsoldiers", that pisses me off too.

Many are good guys, but a lot are there just to be TA - not to watch football, and not to support Scotland.

466010[/snapback]

As someone who goes to every Scotland home game and has travelled with the TA in the past i have to agree with a lot of what you say.

A particular bugbear of mine are those idiots who insist on clapping the team off or singing loads of songs after a 3-0 home defeat by Austria (to pick just one game from memory). By all means, getting beaten is no excuse for rioting or any violence but neither is it cause for celebration. When Scotland lose I am absolutely gutted and don't want to celebrate the fact!!!!

In addition, too many of the TA now have the 'I'm crazy I am, look at me in my Indian head-dress pissing in the main town square down a drain" attitude. No sir, you're not crazy, you're a bawbag. You're probably an insurance salesman with a nice semi-detached house in East Kilbride and a wife and two kids. Stop acting like a f'cking idiot.

Having said all that, there are many positive aspects to the TA. They do a lot of good charity work and in general are well-behaved and good ambassadors for the country.

Of course there are idiots in the Tartan Army but show me a support anywhere that doesnt have a few tossers! Some of them take it too seriously and go about as if they are official ambassadors or something. Some get hammered and go way over the top and only get away with it because theyre the Tartan Army, if they did the same thing while dressed up in England gear they'd probably be called hooligans. I also agree that some of them seem to revel in defeat, Im not saying we shouldnt have a laugh and a drink after losing but I get annoyed at being told to cheer up immediately after losing a last minute goal or something! Overall though the TA is a good thing and DOES boost the nations's profile abroad, its something to be proud of. There is a tendency amongst some people to knock the TA but its mainly uptight old gits like Traynor who arent worth listening too. Maybe he would prefer it if we took Union Jacks or Irish Tricolours and banners supporting the IRA/UVF :rolleyes:

Guest real bauscia
I think, as football fans go, the TA are excellent ambassadors for Scotland.

464879[/snapback]

I agree...for what I've seen in Milan. They are a lot better than other countries' fans...then, of course there are good and bad people in Scotland but...as anywhere else...

and I must say that singing when Scotland lose is not a way to celebrate the result, I see there a sense of pride for the national team, may it win or lose.

other countries should learn from the TA.

Hmm, I tried to quote Chris, but got "FollowFollow" - if that is his real name instead.

Anyway - Chris, you say you didn't see the TA flashing in the streets of Cardiff? I suppose you weren't anywhere near Queen Street? I went to Cardiff, first and foremost to see Scotland teach the Welsh a footballing lesson :unsure::ph34r: , and second to have a good time. I do not consider a good time to have been with my mate's mother, seeing about five big hairy pairs of baws as kilts were deliberately lifted on Queen Street.

466010[/snapback]

I won't rise to your bait again. :rolleyes:<_<

In a travelling support of 12000 or so, of course you are going to have a few minor distasteful incidents. As it happens, I didn't see any, but I don't doubt that there were some, as I said, I saw guys who were too drunk to be there for the football. But to slag of the TA because of a one-off incident with 5 guys is a little ridiculous frankly.

I've never seen fans staying behind to applaud a defeat for half an hour. In fact, for the last few games under Berti, the atmosphere was quite poisonous at the end of the games. Moldova away - if you saw that game, you are not telling me that the TA was happy with the result. I wasn't at that game, but the games at Hampden against Slovenia and Norway, and the friendlies against Sweden (thought Berti had gone by then) Romania and Hungary were all full of disgruntled fans.

If you refer to the Milan game with that comment, we got kept in for half an hour after the game, we had no option. The fans did sing Doh a Deer for most of that, but hardly in celebrating a defeat. I would have been out of there tout suite if I had been able, but it had been a good trip, and a good performance by Scotland in the circumstances, so why not have a drunken sing-song?

Other than that, I can't think of any examples? The three nil defeat to Austria mentioned by Joozy never happened. We lost 2-0 at Hampden to them in 2002 or 2003 in a friendly in front of the lowest crowd at a Scotland game since the 60s, and no-one was singing at any stage of that one.

You're only coming out with tired stereotypes which simply aren't true.

I would say most of the TA go abroad to get drunk AND support the team. Do you have a drink on your holidays? Cos these guys take all their holidays to follow Scotland, I think they're entitled to a drink. There are a few who go to drink and NOT support the team. I met one or two in Cardiff, though I didn't see any in Milan. But again, given the size of the support, is it any surprise that you get a few hangers-on? I don't think so. And at least these guys just drink, they don't fight or cause trouble.

There are a few bawbags who proclaim themselves to be spokesmen for the TA, commanders-in-chief etc. However, if you ever take a look at the TAMB, you will see that these guys are regarded as exactly that - bawbags. One or two self-important weirdos doesn't justify criticising 10 000 others.

Again, I don't think it's fair to say that a lot of the guys don't go to watch the football. Judging this on stuff Traynor comes out with, or on one trip to Cardiff (which, being so close, will obviously attract more people and thus more fuds) is wrong.

If our reputation is so much better than that of most other European fans - and that isn't reading into our own press, that is something backed up by FIFA awards - then why criticise? Of course the TA ain't perfect, but no football support is. And in the post above, that is backed up by an objective viewpoint. :rolleyes:

Archived