Tartan Army

Guest Follow Follow

Do u think the Tartan Army are and Embarassment?  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We were just to the right of the goals, no-one was booing their anthem near us. Didn't hear anyone chanting Scotland either. Then again, you seem to have been in a different ground!  :lol:

The clip is indeed amazing - sent a shiver down my spine first time I heard it. Immense. Came over really well on the TV too. Try here for some shorter video clips. Loads of great pics on this part of the board too, if you took any, please post them too.

I don't know if you know about the board or not, but it's really helpful for travel arrangements, cheap flights, etc as well as general TA chat. Bookmark it.  ;)

468534[/snapback]

I was in the 2nd tier on the very left hand side very near the Italians but i was singing as loud as i could so could probably only hear me :lol:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was in the 2nd tier on the very left hand side very near the Italians but i was singing as loud as i could so could probably only hear me :lol:

469490[/snapback]

I remember you were posting on this board looking for tickets, how did you end up getting them? Or did you manage to walk in without one, and with a bomb or two up your sleeve like the Ultras? ;)

I remember you were posting on this board looking for tickets, how did you end up getting them? Or did you manage to walk in without one, and with a bomb or two up your sleeve like the Ultras?  ;)

470447[/snapback]

I contacted a woman called Helen Doneghan (sp?) and got two tickets through her. At one point i had three tickets so ended up giving one away.

As for the bomb up the sleeve WTF did the ultras have that made that huge bang - i still have stains on my kilt!!!

I follow Scotland home and away and yes there`s is a few bawbags as you would expect in a large travelling support but in the main the TA a great ambassadors for the country................9000 in Italy,no arrests

It interesting how its folk from our own country that bleat/gripe about the TA but every country we visit has nothing but praise for the TA.

As for the dress sense........ill fitting kilts?it`s no the kilt thats ill fitting it`s the shape o the body thats wearing it :lol:

I wear my kilt wi boots..........if yer no happy,feck off,beats burberry caps etc

I contacted a woman called Helen Doneghan (sp?) and got two tickets through her. At one point i had three tickets so ended up giving one away.

As for the bomb up the sleeve WTF did the ultras have that made that huge bang - i still have stains on my kilt!!!

470838[/snapback]

Ah yes, the famous Helen! :lol: She was staying in our hotel. :D

No idea what it was, couldn't see anything cos it was underneath us, but it made some noise!

As someone who goes to every Scotland home game and has travelled with the TA in the past i have to agree with a lot of what you say.

A particular bugbear of mine are those idiots who insist on clapping the team off or singing loads of songs after a 3-0 home defeat by Austria (to pick just one game from memory).  By all means, getting beaten is no excuse for rioting or any violence but neither is it cause for celebration.  When Scotland lose I am absolutely gutted and don't want to celebrate the fact!!!!

In addition, too many of the TA now have the 'I'm crazy I am, look at me in my Indian head-dress pissing in the main town square down a drain" attitude.  No sir, you're not crazy, you're a bawbag.  You're probably an insurance salesman with a nice semi-detached house in East Kilbride and a wife and two kids.  Stop acting like a f'cking idiot.

Having said all that, there are many positive aspects to the TA.  They do a lot of good charity work and in general are well-behaved and good ambassadors for the country.

466200[/snapback]

I dont think they're an embarrasment but the way that they applaud failure does annoy me sometimes, specially when the performance has been shocking.

I have only been to two Scotland games ever, 1-0 against Sweden and 0-3 against Morocco in St Ettienne 98'.

To be fair though the atmosphere at the end of the 0-3 defeat to Morocco was excellent and the locals applauded us back into town on the way in from the stadium.

I dont really go for the whole 'Tartan Army Footsoldier' thing though, i'm just a Scotland fan, due to the fact that i'm Scottish. I do think that some of the more impressionable people believe the media hype that the Tartan Army attract.

I dont think they're an embarrasment but the way that they applaud failure does annoy me sometimes, specially when the performance has been shocking.

I have only been to two Scotland games ever, 1-0 against Sweden and 0-3 against Morocco in St Ettienne 98'.

To be fair though the atmosphere at the end of the 0-3 defeat to Morocco was excellent and the locals applauded us back into town on the way in from the stadium.

I dont really go for the whole 'Tartan Army Footsoldier' thing though, i'm just a Scotland fan, due to the fact that i'm Scottish. I do think that some of the more impressionable people believe the media hype that the Tartan Army attract.

472756[/snapback]

I don't buy this applauding failure thing. Give some examples please. No-one else has been able to yet.

I don't buy this applauding failure thing. Give some examples please. No-one else has been able to yet.

472769[/snapback]

I thought I just did.

I gave up 0-3 Morroco and the guy Joozy gave the example of a 0-3 scudding off Austria.

I thought I just did.

I gave up 0-3 Morroco and the guy Joozy gave the example of a 0-3 scudding off Austria.

472777[/snapback]

The 3-0 Austria game which didn't happen, as I pointed out above. :rolleyes:

As for the Morocco game, it was fair enough for the fans to applaud when we had put in a great effort against Brazil and Norway. More applauding the tournament than the game itself, the players gave their all. And the performance wasn't especially shocking that night, we lost to a good team.

The 3-0 Austria game which didn't happen, as I pointed out above.  :rolleyes:

As for the Morocco game, it was fair enough for the fans to applaud when we had put in a great effort against Brazil and Norway. More applauding the tournament than the game itself, the players gave their all. And the performance wasn't especially shocking that night, we lost to a good team.

472821[/snapback]

Well i'd love to give you some examples but as I say i've only been to a couple of games and although i've witnessed it on the telly I havent got a great memory.

Personally I think the TA are to be commended for going along and paying to watch Scotland. The style of football Scotland played under Craiggy Brown was pretty turgid defensive stuff and under Vogts was clueless. However, at the time when they were all moaning for vogts to go they kept on attending games. If you're a fan the best way to get a manager sacked is to vote with your feet.

Well i'd love to give you some examples but as I say i've only been to a couple of games and although i've witnessed it on the telly I havent got a great memory.

Personally I think the TA are to be commended for going along and paying to watch Scotland. The style of football Scotland played under Craiggy Brown was pretty turgid defensive stuff and under Vogts was clueless. However, at the time when they were all moaning for vogts to go they kept on attending games.  If you're a fan the best way to get a manager sacked is to vote with your feet.

472854[/snapback]

Fair enough. I think this whole thing is just one of the media cliches that get spouted by Traynor and the like when they've nothing else to moan about.

Fair enough. I think this whole thing is just one of the media cliches that get spouted by Traynor and the like when they've nothing else to moan about.

472858[/snapback]

Traynor is only voicing a viewpoint which some other people share.

The 3-0 Austria game which didn't happen, as I pointed out above.  :rolleyes:

472821[/snapback]

True the performance in St Ettiene, under Brown, was more flat/jaded than poor.

The performances and general tactics under Vogts, however were awful. The man should have been sacked long before he actually was. If the Tartan Army, Scotland Fans, whatever you want to call them had ceased their backing for the man he would have been out on his ear a lot sooner.

Didn't go to any games when he was boss but the only two performances of note under his reign were the 2-0 away win in Iceland and the 1-0 win over Holland (and that was a backs to the wall effort).

True the performance in St Ettiene, under Brown, was more flat/jaded than poor.

The performances and general tactics under Vogts, however were awful. The man should have been sacked long before he actually was. If the Tartan Army, Scotland Fans, whatever you want to call them had ceased their backing for the man he would have been out on his ear a lot sooner.

Didn't go to any games when he was boss but the only two performances of note under his reign were the 2-0 away win in Iceland and the 1-0 win over Holland (and that was a backs to the wall effort).

472911[/snapback]

Yup, and as I pointed out earlier in the thread, the mood of the fans was far from celebratory during, and at the end of, those games.

Guest Pompey

How about 0-0 in Monaco against Estonia (a game that would never have been replayed had Lennart Johannson's Sweded not stood to gain from Scotland potentially dropping points...). So used are the Scottish players to being rewarded for failure that Ian Ferguson thought it appropriate to abuse a fan who had the temerity to boo the failure to defeat what was then one of the very worst teams in the world!

There are arguments for both sides of the story, and those who (misguidedly, IMO) defend the "Tartan Army" will continue to defend them, as those of us who cringe when they see these people purporting to represent Scotland will continue to cringe.

The "Tartan Army" are NOT representative of Scotland - I can't remember the last time I was in Scotland and saw everyone in kilts, hiking boots and Scotland top (sadly, more England and Ireland tops in Argyle St than Scotland these days :( ). In fact, the English hooligans are probably more representative of their country than the TA are of ours - and anyone who has the misfortune to walk through feral city centres in England at night will tell you that!

Traynor`s a fud.

There are arguments for both sides of the story, and those who (misguidedly, IMO) defend the "Tartan Army" will continue to defend them, as those of us who cringe when they see these people purporting to represent Scotland will continue to cringe.

Why do you cringe when you see these people purporting to represent Scotland as you put it?......Would you rather see Scotland fans pissed having a laugh or fighting and wrekin bars like the knuckle draggers over the border?

How many Scotland games home or abroad have you been to?

As i posted previously,folks in countries we visit praise Scotland fans for there behaviour etc but fuds like Traynor and yourself seem quite happy to lambast them/us.

The "Tartan Army" are NOT representative of Scotland - I can't remember the last time I was in Scotland and saw everyone in kilts, hiking boots and Scotland top

What a load of p@sh,of course were representing Scotland, whether we wear kilts and hiking boots everyday or not just the same as guys that wear club top on match days and not during the week.

Going by your username etc i take it you stay over the border...........you`ve been staying there too long.

BTW,i would rather see guy/gals in kiltsand boots etc than the E*****H way,wearing club tops and carrying club flags burberry caps etc

How about 0-0 in Monaco against Estonia (a game that would never have been replayed had Lennart Johannson's Sweded not stood to gain from Scotland potentially dropping points...). So used are the Scottish players to being rewarded for failure that Ian Ferguson thought it appropriate to abuse a fan who had the temerity to boo the failure to defeat what was then one of the very worst teams in the world!

472945[/snapback]

So the TA weren't all cheering a defeat then? :rolleyes::lol:

Still waiting for one person to give a good example. :rolleyes:

Archived