Sparks Chat

Mel Hutchwright

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Russell was indeed just incredible, with the sparser arrangements really highlighting what an astonishing singer he is. To dance around the stage the way he does, and then hit every note pretty much perfectly, is verging on the freakish. He's a 64 year old man for crying out loud.

Here's them performing Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth, with bonus footage of Ron's wee dance during Beat The Clock, from the actual night in question...

Extravagantly coiffeured Lancastrian journalist/musician John Robb has written what is, ostensibly, a nice review of the Manchester show, but is really more of a discourse on the Mael brothers enduring majesty. For us believers, it's preaching to the converted...

http://louderthanwar.com/sparks-manchester-live-review/

As the demand's clearly there, I've changed the thread title to reflect the fact that a platform for discussing all things Sparks is now necessary.

Where is the best place to start for the still to be converted?

I would probably say that Kimono My House would be your best bet as a starting point. It's arguably their best known album and contains two of their their biggest 'hits' in This Town Ain't Big Enough For The Both Of Us and Amateur Hour. It also has Hasta Manana Monsieur and Talent Is An Asset which are amongst my favourite songs of theirs.

The follow up album Propaganda, which was released in the same year (1974), is probably my favourite album of theirs though, not least because it has the sublime Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth, and the equally wonderful Something For the Girl With Everything, sequenced one after the other.

I'd consider No.1 In Heaven, which is oft described as their 'disco' album, as a bit of a must have as well. It contains the quite brilliant Number One Song in Heaven, along with Beat The Clock and, in Tryouts For The Human Race, has one of my favourite opening tracks on any album. It's produced by Georgio Moroder to boot, which is quite clearly a very good thing.

As for their later albums, it's a bit of a coin toss between Lil' Beethoven and Hello Young Lovers, but I'm finding myself listening to the former more at the moment. It was a pretty remarkable return to form when it was released in 2002 and is maybe best representative of the kind of stuff they're doing now.

I'll leave my fawning over the brilliantly eclectic Indiscreet for another time, as it's maybe not the best one to start with, but that's one eccentrically marvellous album.

Doris Day should be very proud of her boys

The Mael brothers have always been very much the Marx Brothers of music. I've never seen Ron do an interview on TV where he wasn't taking the total piss, usually with something about a fictious hobby like paper plate collecting & the interviewer swallowing hook, line & sinker.

I remember the Glasgow artist Lucy Mckenzie when she was struggling for fame & fortune claiming her ultimate sexual fantasy was having a wrestling match with Ron in Glasgow's Mitchell Library to get some column inches! Now she's a University professor in Dusseldorf, think Ron should go round to one of her lectures next time Sparks are in town, burst straight in & shout "RIGHT YOU, OUTSIDE - NOW!"

...and call it "art!" :lol:

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been meaning to post some of their more recent songs, as their albums from the last 10 years or so have been truly fantastic, but I'm pleased to have been beaten to the punch. This, in particular, is one of my absolute favourites...

It was one of the real highlights of their most recent Scottish concert, as it's pared back arrangement worked brilliantly well. Hopefully it's still in the set when they return in November.

Archived