GAA.. All ireland finals

magee84

Both Championships are shaping up nicely

This is easily the most competetive football championship in years though.The last eight should be interesting,there should be five teams that could realistically go all the way

On a side note Caoimhin, seen you posted a few links for Scottish GAA teams, do you have any idea of the standard its played at or what kind of interest there is in it? Have you seen any games yourself? Cheers!

I'm not to sure Phil,I've never seen any

According to one of those sites Scotland play in the British Junior Championship.They've never won it but have lost a final

I know that Scotlands Shinty team warms up against Hurling teams from Scottish universities for the International every year

Cheers Caoimhin. Remember seeing the Glasgow Gaels jersey and info displayed in Waxys anytime i was in there. Really would be good to see the game grow in Scotland to a reasonable level. I imagine theres a large amount of Irish students studying in Scottish Uni's so perhaps the game will grow stronger and hopefully see more Scottish participation.

On a side note Caoimhin, seen you posted a few links for Scottish GAA teams, do you have any idea of the standard its played at or what kind of interest there is in it? Have you seen any games yourself? Cheers!

I played in the Scottish University championship for 4 years. We got through to the British championship twice and reached the final the first time but ran out of steam. There were some excellent players involved in the British championship, plenty of inter county prospects. The Irish lads in our team said that the biggest difference in playing in the uni league over here was that refereeing standards were very different, ie you could get away with a lot more. I actually remember the ref coming into the changing room before the Scottish final and telling us that if we wanted to box our man then to make sure he didn't see it!

I played a couple of games in the Scottish league after leaving uni, before work took me too far away from the nearest team to make it viable. My mate who joined at the same time is still playing away in the league. When I was involved the standard wasn't as high as the uni league. Mainly Irish lads working over here but you would get the odd Scottish player and there were a couple of clubs in the west who were doing work on the youth side of things and bringing through their own players. With the Irish economy having gone backwards over the past few years there will be more coming over again for work so that has probably benefited the Scottish GAA clubs.

I played in the Scottish University championship for 4 years. We got through to the British championship twice and reached the final the first time but ran out of steam. There were some excellent players involved in the British championship, plenty of inter county prospects. The Irish lads in our team said that the biggest difference in playing in the uni league over here was that refereeing standards were very different, ie you could get away with a lot more. I actually remember the ref coming into the changing room before the Scottish final and telling us that if we wanted to box our man then to make sure he didn't see it!

I played a couple of games in the Scottish league after leaving uni, before work took me too far away from the nearest team to make it viable. My mate who joined at the same time is still playing away in the league. When I was involved the standard wasn't as high as the uni league. Mainly Irish lads working over here but you would get the odd Scottish player and there were a couple of clubs in the west who were doing work on the youth side of things and bringing through their own players. With the Irish economy having gone backwards over the past few years there will be more coming over again for work so that has probably benefited the Scottish GAA clubs.

Cheers for the insight Waspie. Its good to know the future in Scotland looks quite bright with youth work being done. It would be great to see a Scotland side capable of having a Football international against Ireland in the future even at a minor level.

Cheers for the insight Waspie. Its good to know the future in Scotland looks quite bright with youth work being done. It would be great to see a Scotland side capable of having a Football international against Ireland in the future even at a minor level.

There is scope for an afwul lot more. In my experience it was a couple of clubs in the west and it was very much concentrated on the Irish community. It would need to break out from those roots for any real growth to occur in Scotland. I see the Scottish GAA site claims to have thousands of kids playing and if that's the case there has been a big improvement in the last few years.

In a way what makes the GAA so special is the emphasis on playing for parish and county and it would be very hard to replicate that outside Ireland.

There was actually a World Cup of sorts back in the 90's in which Scotland took part.

@ Waspie

Here's a post from the Tyrone GAA page

I saw that Caoimhin, fair play to them. Don't recall them ever being so gracious in defeat mind you :D . Mickey Harte showed his class by going onto the pitch afterwards and signing autographs for Kerry folk. What a terrible time he has had but he is a truly inspirational figure. Owen Mulligan too did himself proud, staying on the park afterwards in a Kerry jersey!

Edited by Waspie

All Ireland Quarter Final Draw

Cork v Kildare

Dublin v Laois

Donegal v Kerry

Mayo v Down

The winner of Cork/Kildare will play the winner of Donegal/Kerry, and winner of Dublin/Laois will play the winner of Mayo/Down. Cracking draw from a Dublin perspective. Donegal v Kerry looks like a cracker and will be a real test of how far Donegal have come on since last year.

Looking forward to the Quarter Finals, I will be in Croke Park for the Sunday games as the Roscommon minors will be out against Kerry at 12pm that day. I think Cork will have too much for Kildare but it should be a close game and I am excited by Kerry v Donegal, it has the makings of a classic and its a bank holiday weekend as well and I hope the weather picks up and large crowds both days in HQ.

Summer is over for us but it was expected.Just hope Kilkenny can beat Tipp in the Semis and then lose to Galway in the final

Dublin have pretty much been given a bye into the final ,Laois will be a walkover for them and I can't see Down or Mayo making them break a sweat

The other side of the draw is a cracker though,I can't wait to watch those games.I've a feeling Donegal will beat Kerry but the other game is a bit of a toss up.Normally I'd bet on Cork to take them but they have had a long lay off since the Munster Final and Kildare have built up a head of steam coming through the qualifiers

In for a weekend of cracking action, be at the double header on Saturday and fancy a Mayo / Dublin outcome. Cannot wait for Sunday, especially Donegal v Kerry. Too close to call!

Donegal v Kerry is a real torn loyalty one for me, have family from both areas and have both shirts as well, actually ive always had the Kerry shirt but got the Donegal in the sale at a visit to Croke last year.

Being pushed ill go for Kerry, the kingdom but will cheer on Donegal to croker should they win the 1/4 final.

What date is this match & i assume it will be on Premier Sports?

Donegal v Kerry is a real torn loyalty one for me, have family from both areas and have both shirts as well, actually ive always had the Kerry shirt but got the Donegal in the sale at a visit to Croke last year.

Being pushed ill go for Kerry, the kingdom but will cheer on Donegal to croker should they win the 1/4 final.

What date is this match & i assume it will be on Premier Sports?

All of the quarter finals are live on Premier Spors.

Today,

Mayo v Down - 5pm

Dublin v Laois - 7pm

Tomorrow

Cork v Kildare - 2pm

Donegal v Kerry - 4pm

Must say I am looking forward to the Donegal v Kerry match. It would be funny as f*ck after all the hot air from Kerry about them showing they aren't scared of Northern teams (after beating a Tyrone team shorn of the players who owned them in the last decade) to then come unstuck against Donegal. I have strong connections with Donegal on my mother's side and with Tyrone out I am now behind them for Sam. Tir Conaill abu - get into the animals :D .

No real interest on todays side of the draw as it already looks decided but I can't wait for tomorrows games

Well Mayo coasted through but Dublin were pretty lucky tonight. The goal that decided the game was a fluke and had Laois really believed in themselves then the game was there for them in the closing stages. Poor stuff from the Dubs but they are through and I doubt they can play that badly again.

Been switching between the murray tennis final and the Kerry/Donegal match and at h.t Kerry look in trouble here. Their keeper had a howler at the goal, almost like aberdeens goalie yesterday :lol:

Donegal look to have the bit between their teeth and looking favourites here at the moment.

E.T.A Donegals white change shirt is stunning, not too keen on Kerry's blue effort though

What a game, thought Kerry were going to pull it out of the fire at the end but simply left themselves too much to do late on, paying the price for being outfought and outclassed for the first hour or so.

Good luck Donegal and hope they go on to lift 'the sam'

What a game, thought Kerry were going to pull it out of the fire at the end but simply left themselves too much to do late on, paying the price for being outfought and outclassed for the first hour or so.

Good luck Donegal and hope they go on to lift 'the sam'

The final score flattered Kerry, Donegal had them beaten with a bit to spare only for the goal from Donaghy, which should not have counted. Kerry's record over the past decade is fantastic but on the occasions when a game has been close going into the final 15/20 mins they have invariably lost, and so it proved again.

Cork were very impressive against Kildare, albeit I think Kildare are overrated. Cork and Donegal should be a good one.

Donegal were the better side throughout but if any goal that shouldn't have stood was the one they scored.It was clearly caught before being put in to the net

Not sure what you mean there caoimhin, the ball went straight to the net from the sideline ball. Murphy was fouled in the incident as well so had it not been a goal it was a penalty for Donegal. For the Kerry goal Donaghy was in the square before the ball and as such the goal should not have been given.

Sorry Waspie,I watched the games in a bit of a haze.It was actually one of Mayos goals I was thinking of

The square ball rule was ditched for this year and rightly so in my view as umpires rarely applied it correctly.It was a constant source of controversy

The rule wasn't actually ditched but rather amended. I have posted the new rule below. Donaghy was in the square when the hand pass was made = no goal.

This has been amended to allow a player enter the small rectangle once the final deliberate play of the ball has been made, i.e as soon as the player kicks, hand-passes, fist passes or deliberately flicks the ball into the small rectangle then the attacking player may enter. The rule is unchanged with regard to “Set Play” i.e. Free Kicks, Line Balls and 45s – in these instances players are not permitted to enter the small rectangle before the ball.

Very impressive performance by Mayo who should definately have enough to trouble Dublin in the semi. The lose of Moran could be decisive for them though. Dublin were just awful against a fairly plain Laois, another game where just enough was done to progress. Cork were terrific on Sunday, very ruthless and getting scores from all over. A great semi ahead now between them and Donegal, another great defensive display from the Ulster Champions was the foundations of another victory. The forward line this year has probably been the most consistant in the country. McFadden in particular was excellent on Sunday. Great weekend of action overall, and really looking forward to the semis now.

Do you think it should be scrapped altogether Waspie?I'd be glad to see the back of it

I'm not sure caoimhin. It's clearly a hard one for the officials and the amendment hasn't made things any easier. The danger of doing away with it altogether would be teams launching non stop high balls in on top of the keeper, I'm not convinced that would improve the game at all. I actually think the GAA are too prone to messing with the rules. They should just accept that some teams are going to adopt different tactics and styles of play and get on with it. They have a great spectacle and should let it breathe and evolve naturally rather than fiddling with the rules.

Caught a little of the Galway - Cork match in the hurling today, a good open encounter based on the bit I saw and Galway deserving winners.