GAA.. All ireland finals

magee84

Well, that was fucking amazing. I have a video of Waxy's during the trophy presentation - I'll need to stick it on Youtube later. Literally every inch of floor in the place was covered with people last night. We ended up squashed together on some stairs in order to see over everyone. It's the busiest I've ever seen a pub.

1473361.jpg

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2012/0923/338732-donegal-beat-mayo-to-end-wait-for-sam/

Hard to say just how much this means to the county. Only our second win in 100+ years of the all Ireland. Would love to be over there right now.

Donegal had the game won inside 10 minutes with the two early goals. After that, much of the game was Mayo's, but there was no coming back from the blow of the goals. Thought both Murphy and McFadden were brilliant.

Text my uncle who was out partying in Dublin last night - wish I had been there now. Think next time we reach the latter stages at Croke Park I'm going to head over.

• 2 weeks later...

Hurling Shinty International panels announced

09 October 2012

This annual Hurling/Shinty International Series involving Ireland and Scotland takes place again this year at Senior and U21 level.

The Senior Series is played at home and away basis and the opening game is due to take place in Bught Park, Inverness on Saturday, October 20th.

The second leg takes place in Ennis on October 27th and this will be preceded by the U21 game which is due to be played on Friday October 19th at 7.00p.m. under lights in St.Josephs Doora Barefield, Ennis.

These games will be the centre-piece of an Irish/Scottish weekend in Ennis which will also feature a concert in the Glór, with artists such as:- SlanJ from Scotland, Thrillogy (featuring Kate Purcell and fiddle players Denise Glass and Yuki Nishioka) Chris Dorney (legendary concertina player) Stephanie Keane (Irish Sean nos Dancer) and the Coughlans.

Scotland and Ireland will also promote a Youth Exchange Programme and will organise Music and Cultural Workshops over both weekends.

In addition, the President of Ireland - Michael D. Higgins will officiate at the opening of Fr. McNamara Park, now Camogie HQ for Clare, based in Ennis - and the Clare Camogie Team will play their Scottish counterparts in a Camogie/Shinty International on Saturday October 27th at 11.00a.m.

The Irish Hurling/Shinty Senior Team is managed by John Meyler (Cork) and Michael Walshe (Kilkenny) with Gregory O'Kane (Antrim) and Jeffrey Lynskey (Galway) looking after the U.21 team.

Teams are selected on the basis of two trial games and every effort is made to provide representation to the developing Counties while also providing these players with the opportunity to play alongside a small coherent of players drawn from Tier 1 Counties.

Both Senior Games will be transmitted live by TG4 at the following times

October 20th - 1.15pm

October 27th - 2.05p.m.

Summary of events for the weekend in Ennis:

Friday October 26th

U21 Ireland vs Scotland, Doora Barefield @ 7.00p.m.

Friday evening the Concert in the Glor.

Saturday October 27th @ 11.00a.m.

Clare vs Scottish Camoge Team at Fr. Michael Mc Namara Pitch.

Half time interval opening of the pitch by Uachtaran na Eireann - Michael D.Higgins

Saturday @ 2.05p.m. Ireland vs Scotland Men's Senior Game.

For further information visit www.hurlingshinty.gaa.ie

HURLING/SHINTY INTERNATIONAL 2012

SENIOR PANEL

Player County

Bernard Rochford Kerry

Joseph Clarke Westmeath

Ciarán Clifford Armagh

Steven Clynch Meath

Shane Dooley Offaly

Cormac Donnelly Antrim

Shane Fennell Louth

Patrick Horgan Cork

Neil McManus Antrim

Barry McFall Antrim

Tom Murnane Kerry

Brendan Murtagh Westmeath

Darragh O'Connell Kerry

Shane O'Neill Cork

Eoin Price (Captain) Westmeath

Paudie Reidy Kildare

Des Shaw Carlow

Tommy Walsh Kilkenny

U.21 PANEL

Player County

Ronan McAteer Monaghan

Conor Corvan Armagh

Kevin Downes Limerick

Patrick Flynn Laois

Tony Kelly Clare

Niall Kilroy Roscommon

James King Armagh

Seadna Morey Clare

Stephen Morris Meath

Conal Morgan Antrim

Shane Nolan (Captain) Kerry

Niall O'Brien Westmeath

Paul O'Grady Mayo

Morgan Quinn Leitrim

Jamie Ryan Galway

James Toher Meath

Nathan Unwin Laois

Ollie Walsh Kilkenny

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=178898

Wish I was back in Clare for this,although Ireland has picked a fairly weak squad compared to other years.I can see the Scots taking this,they'll be more motivated than Ireland after losing the series for the last four years

Sounds like a cracking weekend Caoimhin. Ennis is just a bit far for me to go at present unfortunately. Would love to get my hands on a Scotland international jersey as well.

Enjoyed that. Last few years I've really got into Shinty and the lad with a french user name's adventures round the shinty grounds of Scotland sounds absolutely fantastic. You ever thought about writing a book on the adventures and if you are partial to a drink or two, could well be about the capers that you get up to on and off the park.

A' Chaoimhin, how's the game in Ireland? Is it mostly younger lads who play in the cross-international and I know it doesn't get anything like an All Ireland attendance but do folk watch the game or even know this fixture is on ever year?

Glad we managed to get a few goals there and make the return leg interesting. Looking forward to next week.

Does anyone on here play shinty or hurling? Being a goalkeeper in shinty looks like an unbeliveably insane way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Was on holiday so missed the game at the weekend but I hope to see the second leg. The gap between the sides isn't actually 6 points as the Camanachd Association and GAA don't use an aggregate score for the series. Ireland get 2 points for winning the first match and a bonus point for scoring 2 goals or more and Scotland get a bonus point for their goals. As such the score is 3-1.

It would make more sense and be easier for everybody if they just used aggregate scores. There has been great confusion amongst fans, players and officials over the past 2 years since the different system was put in place.

Unfortunately, I only got five minutes of the game when a message flashed up informing me that TG4 couldn't stream it Live as they have to obey some agreement with the BBC not to stream the game Live at the same time it's being broadcast. Very strange ! Will try again this weekend though !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn9lDDnVZW0&feature=g-all-u

Its been shown with a two hour delay in Scotland so i'd imagine thats what it is

Horgans goals were superb

They certainly were and the points he took weren't too bad either! Brilliant stick skills from Horgan - the Scots will be relieved that he isn't playing again this weekend.

Not the best contest with Ireland winning so easily but some great stick skills again from the men in green. I felt Scotland were a little unlucky early on at least as they came very close to 3 goals with their first 3 shots on target. 2 great saves from the Irish keeper and a defender blocking the other effort on the line. At the other end Ireland put their first few efforts into the net and Scotland were 20 points down after 20 minutes despite the game having been pretty close in terms of possesion and opportunities! The Irish were clever today and always had at least 1 spare man at the back - they really blocked up the area right in front of the posts and made it tough for Scotland to get shots in. At the other end Scotland went man for man so whenever the Irish attacker slipped his man he was invariably in on goal.

Scotland will need to have another look at it for next season, didn't seem to do themselves justice in either match. Ireland very deserving winners.

• 7 months later...

How do you rate Tyrones chances this Summer Waspie?

last four is about the best they can hope for I'd say

Dublin currently hammering Westmeath

And Hawk-Eye has been brought in for the first time,a strange sight during the Kildare and Offaly game

Agree with you about Tyrone caoimhin, I reckon quarter or semi finals will be as good as it gets. Very frustrating defeat against Donegal in Ulster a fortnight ago, I though Tyrone did well in the first half and should have been ahead rather than behind at half-time. Similarly in the second half Tyrone started well and had a few chances to pull clear but found themselves level at 1-6 to 0-9 with twenty minutes to go. At that point Tyrone had hit 12 wides and Donegal 1! That's criminal against a team like Donegal and when they then got a second goal there was only one winner. I was impressed by Donegal, looked as strong as last summer and such belief in themselves.

I reckon Donegal and Dublin deserve to be favourites and are a bit ahead of the rest. Cork if they put it all together could offer a challenge and although there are questions about what Kerry have left in the the tank, there is no question that still have some brilliant players. I would think both Cork and Kerry are capable of winning Sam if the draw opens up for them. Behind those two I would bracket Mayo and Tyrone, capable of beating most teams and could upset the other four but unlikely IMO to have enough to win the whole thing. Kildare a wee behind those two - but still ahead of everybody else!

• 1 month later...

Real wake up call for Donegal today.

Well done to Monaghan

Massive upset. Very surprising to see Donegal as dominated as they were, something unheard of under McGuinness. Still can't write them off though as they have a huge point to prove now.

Delighted for London as well, great to have achieved what they have already and a day out at Croke Park is a great reward.

6 day turn around could very well go against Donegal but i can see them being a wounded animal, unfortunately for Laois. Championship truly is wide open this year though.

As for Hurling, again its there for the taking, the Dubs showed that Kilkenny can be beaten, and if both Tipp and Waterford had been braver they may have been gone for good. Great win for Limerick who must also fancy their chances now.

As much as i fancy a Dubs win i dont expect it to be too easy, Cork again make the quarter finals without too much mention from the media. As ever they can put up a fight against anyone. Agree about Kerry, have to fancy them. As you say the other two ties are crackers, Mayo must be feeling confident for this one as Donegal haven't been at their best.

Limerick bookies favourites now for the Hurling Caoimhin, confidence building?