Walking Down The Halbeath Road

I don't have much of an issue with McCabe signing, I hope he comes good next season. What's really boiling my pish is that wedderburn and spence were deemed better midfield options than Falky.

Josh made it abundantly clear he wanted to stay. If there was a small chance that Faiss might have stayed with us, Josh leaving might seal the deal for him moving on too. I know that's not what footballers base their decisions on, but it could play a small part in el bakhtoaoui's decision.

Probably the first poor decision AJ has made since he started. On paper, anyway.

Like Poet says, hopefully he justifies it in some way but I really can't see the reasoning behind it just now.

Given the fact that Josh was one of our high earners, this isn't a great surprise. I think a lot of people confuse effort with ability. He has been a very passionate and loyal player, through very tough times. For that, I am grateful and wish him well. However, we must look to progress. I've found him frustrating for the last year or two, because of his poor passing ability on the ball. In League One, against part time teams, we got away with outrunning opposition. Josh was great for that. AJ keeps mentioning that the Championship requires more technical ability. Seems to me, that he recognises Falkingham's inconsistency when it comes to completing passes. Spence will be on about 50-60% of Josh's salary. So it's genuinely not even remotely close to being a case of keeping him or Josh.

With regards to McCabe. He's a Stephen Husband type player. Not going to run around for 90 minutes, chasing every ball. But he can pick out a pass. We have 3 midfielders who have that energy (Geggam, Wedderburn & Spence) and McCabe offers a different option. Husband did well for us in the championship/first division. Then wasn't as impressive in League One. I would guess that's a sign that McCabe may be better suited to the championship. Ross Forbes has also one well at Morton, in the championship, despite struggling at League One level.

Can we all just get behind AJ here. Managers have to make decisions like this. We can't keep the same players and keep progressing. I would guess, if we stay up, the prize money would increase our budget and result in more first team players being replaced. It's never nice to see players released, and I hope he finds a new club soon, but in order to progress, decisions like this are going to be necessary.

Not fussed about Falkingham leaving, we're stepping up to a higher level so decisions that not everyone agrees with will have to be made.

For me AJ wanted to add strength to our midfield and that's why we've brought in Wedderburn. How can it annoy you that he's deemed as being better than Falkingham? I didn't see a Scottish Premiership team try to sign him during any point of his Pars career, plus how many times have you seen Wedderburn play?

For me, McCabe has more ability than Falkingham hence how he's played at a higher level. He just needs a good pre-season to get fully going. May not be popular but i think Johnston's called this right.

Well said those two ^^

Loved have Falky as a Pars player - through all the pish we had to endure on the park he was always a wee bundle of energy and revelled in his role as the panto villain.

Geggan is clearly the number one midfielder and after a rotten 2014/15 was better than ever last season in a much tighter role than he had under JJ and Potter. Spence can perform Falky's role but is probably much cheaper, Wedderburn can add height and strength, McCabe could flourish with a good pre-season with us.

El Bak's name notable by its absence from the departed players list?

El Bak's name notable by its absence from the departed players list?

I wouldn't read too much into that, AJ wants to sign him. If Faiss goes, it'll be because someone signed him instead of us releasing him.

Glad the above posters have said it like it is. Josh is a tryer, but is limited technically and physically. Since day one AJ has been talking about how important it is not to get bullied. 

For me Byrne leaving was harder to take as their is a player in there.

Josh will end up at a league 1 side and people complaining about AJ letting him go will go quiet.

Edited by adundeemonkey

Glad the above posters have said it like it is. Josh is a tryer, but is limited technically and physically. Since day one AJ has been talking about how important it is not to get bullied.

For me Byrne leaving was harder to take as their is a player in there.

Eh?

You have completely contradicted yourself there. Absolutely any time there is a battle in the middle of the park Byrne is the first player to hide and in those situations I would have Falkingham in my side long before Byrne.

I fear releasing Falkingham and keeping McCabe is a mistake on Allan Johnston's part but given that he managed us to the title last season I will trust his judgement on this one.

ETA: I have just seen that Falkingham was made an offer but the club and player/agent weren't able to come to an agreement.

Edited by GordieBoy80

ETA: I have just seen that Falkingham was made an offer but the club and player/agent weren't able to come to an agreement.

Josh said a couple of times "there's nothing there that I can sign" - could read that as an unsatisfactory offer. 

McCabe over Josh might prove to be a good decision in the long run but he's done absolutely nothing in a Pars shirt to deserve the opportunity. Any chance he's getting is based on past clubs or 'potential'. If he goes ahead and has a great season then I'll be thrilled to be proved wrong.

As for comparing the guy with Husband, I don't think you're making the point you wanted to make...

As for comparing the guy with Husband, I don't think you're making the point you wanted to make...

he is a similar style to Husband. Which means, as this proves, he is always going to divide opinion. He won't always look like he's giving his all, but that's just his style/role. I rated Husband and thought he was an asset. Plenty of others agreed with me, many disagreed. There will be games next season, where McCabe's ability to pick out a pass that nobody else can see, will prove crucial.

We are not going to be the best team in the league next year. This means that tactics will need to be changed, depending on who we're against. Games against Ayr and Dumbarton will require different tactics to those v Hibs and Falkirk. One thing that seemed clear with last season's midfield, was that we seemed unable to 'mix things up' in midfield. I think McCabe is best suited to being the attacking midfielder in a 3 man central midfield, with 2 more defensive players behind. I'm not sure Johnston will play that way, but it's clear that Johnston believes he fits into the plan somewhere. Just got to have some faith.

P&B is a far more logical place to come to speak to Pars fans, .net is in pure meltdown, some now having doubts over AJ's management...

All the best to Josh, great wee character on the pitch but as people have said, we have to progress as a club and to do that we have to make decisions like this.

P&B is a far more logical place to come to speak to Pars fans, .net is in pure meltdown, some now having doubts over AJ's management...

All the best to Josh, great wee character on the pitch but as people have said, we have to progress as a club and to do that we have to make decisions like this.

You do of course have another option in the Pars Forum.

Has Wedderburn been signed to play in midfield?  He was much better at centre back for us.  Too slow for midfield.

Think he's cover for both - Andy Geggan cover. With AJ and Sandy Clark, they're not interested in possession for the sake of it - if he can add a bit of muscle, win balls in the air and get it to Cardle/Paton/Moff etc to run it at folk that will be fine. Doesn't need to be an especially dynamic midfielder.