Walking Down The Halbeath Road

6 hours ago, Wacky said:

Anyone know the best place to park for the Dundee game? Also the best place for a pint near the ground. 
I looked on the match thread, but someone put park in any street near the ground. I’ve already had a parking ticket for that, so not happening. 

We parked on Balgray Street earlier on this season mate.  10 mins walk from the ground and away no bother after. 

7 hours ago, HoBNob said:

Im fully aware of L1 prize money, I'm also aware of the Championship prize money, to simply put it down to that though is daft. If it was as simple as that we should be able to draw a line between them both and say "Oh, we've lost 239,200 (That's the difference between 1st in league one, and 4th in the Championship)". 

However if we were to be that simplistic we'd be ignoring that our attendances actually went up last season, we'd be ignoring the EEP sponsorship deal, we'd be ignoring the sell on fee from Nisbet. Should these not have went some way to bridging that gap? 

As well as that we've prattled on about our aim this being year to avoid relegation, the difference between 8th in the Championship and 1st in league one is only 89,700. Do you reckon that'll be our loss this year? 

No I don't think it will be down purely to prize money, but it doesn't help.

As for your points about significant income, only the board of the football club will know how those deals are structured, maybe selling KDM the naming rights is £10k a year over the length of the deal, rather than a bloom payment upfront.

Likewise transfer fees, it could be spread over the entire length of the deal he signed with Millwall.

I would share your concerns if we have received 2 lots of significant cash upfront and still pished it away, but from the media reports at the time I suspect that's not how the deal Hibs got was working. Could be wrong however I don't think we will ever know exactly, it might be in the published accounts however could be in with other stuff.

You side stepped the news comment and considering everything the club buys will have rocketed with inflation and our ticket prices haven't then the increase in attendances are welcome but I suspect will have been devoured by inflation.

1 hour ago, The Toun Clock said:

I was listening to a podcast a few months back and they were talking about new parking restrictions in Dundee around the stadium, sounds like a lot of people have been stung. I know you've had one but from what I heard I think it's pretty tricky in those streets near the stadium.

Thought that would be the case. 
Thanks neebur 

57 minutes ago, Moneyshot said:

We parked on Balgray Street earlier on this season mate.  10 mins walk from the ground and away no bother after. 

Brilliant neebs. Thanks 

42 minutes ago, 101 said:

No I don't think it will be down purely to prize money, but it doesn't help.

As for your points about significant income, only the board of the football club will know how those deals are structured, maybe selling KDM the naming rights is £10k a year over the length of the deal, rather than a bloom payment upfront.

Likewise transfer fees, it could be spread over the entire length of the deal he signed with Millwall.

I would share your concerns if we have received 2 lots of significant cash upfront and still pished it away, but from the media reports at the time I suspect that's not how the deal Hibs got was working. Could be wrong however I don't think we will ever know exactly, it might be in the published accounts however could be in with other stuff.

You side stepped the news comment and considering everything the club buys will have rocketed with inflation and our ticket prices haven't then the increase in attendances are welcome but I suspect will have been devoured by inflation.

Cool, so if we post the near seven figure loss rumoured will it be down to the 80,000 in prize money, or is that purely inflation which the big transfer fee, sponsorship deals and extra 20,000 people through the gate haven't touched the sides with? 

Rudden signs for Raith.

Again, very frustrating seeing your rivals pull out all these signings, along with teams around us strengthening, and nothing looks like it is happening at EEP. 

Edited by DAFC.

On 05/12/2023 at 22:11, HoBNob said:

then followed up by asking if we had broke even last season to which Cook answered "In league one? Absolutely not, we lost a fortune" gulp. A figure was then asked which has been kicking about in rumours but Cook replied with that the accounts getting written up right now he wasn't willing to answer on specifics.

50 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Would love to see how someone shows their workings knowing it's near 1m when the accounts aren't available for last year. Unless I'm missing something in that they're available...

It's a figure that's been kicking around for a while as a rumour, and it was asked of Cook at the last supporters meeting and he neither confirmed or denied the figure. 

McCarthur used to do an end of season roundup where he would detail our finances and say how we were likely to do for the season so the board will absolutely be aware how last season looked, and will be very aware with how this season is looking, and again it seems not great. 

16 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Rudden signs for Raith.

Again, very frustrating seeing your rivals pull out all these signings, along with teams around us strengthening, and nothing looks like it is happening at EEP. 

Every championship club bar Utd wanted him. Would you rather spend 4 months in a relegation/midtable scrap or would you rather go to a side who have a decent chance of a league title? 

As for the rest of the league. Most of their signings are either meh or unknown entities from England. McPake sounded optimistic we'll get a couple more in. We were never likely to do more than that. 

57 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

It's a figure that's been kicking around for a while as a rumour, and it was asked of Cook at the last supporters meeting and he neither confirmed or denied the figure. 

McCarthur used to do an end of season roundup where he would detail our finances and say how we were likely to do for the season so the board will absolutely be aware how last season looked, and will be very aware with how this season is looking, and again it seems not great. 

Of course he didn't, he's not going to throw figures around without them being signed off. 

Also, is it not tax year end April that accounts are done to in the UK? In which case unless they choose to, you won't see a set of accounts for a specific season. Open for correction to that 

1 hour ago, DAFC. said:

Rudden signs for Raith.

We made him an offer and dipped out. 
The clubs prudent approach with our money should really please the folks concerned with the huge losses we are apparently experiencing.
We clearly have our limits and not prepared to break the bank going above it. 

29 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Of course he didn't, he's not going to throw figures around without them being signed off. 

Also, is it not tax year end April that accounts are done to in the UK? In which case unless they choose to, you won't see a set of accounts for a specific season. Open for correction to that 

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/SC011580

"Next accounts made up to 31 May 2023

due by 29 February 2024"

Our final game of the season was the 6th of May. 

2 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/SC011580

"Next accounts made up to 31 May 2023

due by 29 February 2024"

Our final game of the season was the 6th of May. 

Good to know, but still. Nothing will be confirmed before anything is signed off. Not officially and people will have to be patient for that.

3 hours ago, HoBNob said:

Cool, so if we post the near seven figure loss rumoured will it be down to the 80,000 in prize money, or is that purely inflation which the big transfer fee, sponsorship deals and extra 20,000 people through the gate haven't touched the sides with? 

If we post a million pound loss then thank Christ we have outside investment because otherwise we would be bust.

Hang on, the 'rumour' is a loss of at least a million quid?!

Hahaha hahaha! Where the f**k does that figure come from?! Thats surely not what the meeting next week is about?

Edited by DA Baracus

20 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Hang on, the 'rumour' is a loss of at least a million quid?!

Hahaha hahaha! Where the f**k does that figure come from?! Thats surely not what the meeting next week is about?

I’ve also heard a near seven figure loss being banded about for last season, I guess the proof will be in the pudding when the finalised accounts are published. 

3 hours ago, par-adise said:

Every championship club bar Utd wanted him. Would you rather spend 4 months in a relegation/midtable scrap or would you rather go to a side who have a decent chance of a league title?  

The decision is mainly Dundee’s not rudden’s and that decision will be based almost entirely on who will pay them the most to take him on loan.

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

It’s up to any company to choose their accounting year(which is separate to tax year) masterton moved ours to season end, probably for dodgy reasons but there’s no need to change it now.

Overall, accounting can be complicated but it seems clear to me first team spending is significantly down compared to previous championship years. There are some who point to inflation as the reason but that affects every club and our place in the ladder has gone down so it can’t just be that.  The talk over training ground/academy spend I find difficult to swallow even outside of the debate over where that money should go. A big part of the sell about bringing in the outside investment was they would fund these things, if they aren’t doing so in full I feel a little bit lied too,  we were never in a position to reduce our spending on the most important part of the club.