Walking Down The Halbeath Road

He's the best left back/left wing back in the division, and as bad as his crossing is sometimes, he's still a pretty major threat who I can't remember an opposite winger getting the better off. 

🆕🎙️

🏁 With a season definer against Airdrie on the horizon, Michael Wood thought it to be as good a time as any to sit down and give his thoughts about #DAFC's run-in and if the club is heading in the right direction.

🤝 Shares appreciated.

🔗👇

Listen here

5 hours ago, HoBNob said:

He's the best left back/left wing back in the division, and as bad as his crossing is sometimes, he's still a pretty major threat who I can't remember an opposite winger getting the better off. 

Sorry I can't agree. Defensively he is also suspect imo. Seen plenty go against him if running at him and get the cross in regularly.  He can break it up further up about half way but he can get caught when deeper.  Many may not agree but I'm not sure I get all the hype at times.

2 minutes ago, Heaton said:

Sorry I can't agree. Defensively he is also suspect imo. Seen plenty go against him if running at him and get the cross in regularly.  He can break it up further up about half way but he can get caught when deeper.  Many may not agree but I'm not sure I get all the hype at times.

Aye I couldn't disagree more tbh, I don't think I can remember the last time I watched a game and thought the opposition winger got the best of him. His recovery pace is undoubtedly an asset in that regard but for me he's absolutely got in him to step up another level, a move will be good for him. 

Just now, DA Baracus said:

Frustrating as he is often is, he'll be difficult to replace with someone as good.

I don't think you do tbh, and it then opens up an interesting conundrum with regards to our shape. From listening to McPake speak before he clearly massively rates Edwards and considers him one of our best players, and best attacking threats. He's talked before about how he doesn't like having a winger in front of Edwards because it curtails his attacking output. 

Without him, I don't think the 532/352 formation works, Otoo probably has it in him to play there but I'll argue till I'm blue in the face that he needs to be in midfield! 

Does McPake bring in a more defensively sound left side player who perhaps hasn't got that attacking output (a Welch Hayes type player?) and play with wingers? It'd allow him to play KRH further up the pitch. 

Raith have put in a very good title challenge with a shocking selection of full backs so it's absolutely plausible. 

Dissapointing result today that effectively rules out the promotion playoffs, they're still technically possible, as are the relegation playoffs but with three games to play we can pretty much guarantee we'll be in the Championship next season. 

I hope, and expect that the playing squad to keep going until the end of the season to try get fifth place, the extra prize money is always helpful. 

Behind the scenes though I hope we're using this extra time to really get things in place for next season. Without Dundee United there'll be no larger side with a massive financial edge, the aim has to be to challenge for the title. 

To do that there'll have to be some transfer dealings done, and they quite frankly need to be far, far, far better than last season. 

Too many players have shown they aren't up to the standard we aspire to in this league, let alone the league above.

Ruthlessness and ambition need to be utilised in the summer.

Edited by DA Baracus

8 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

We had ages last year to sort shit out and quite frankly it felt flat. A better summer is needed.

Last summer was awful, it didn't seem great at the time but I was willing to put faith in the model since it had worked the season before. However it absolutely didn't work. 

It needs to be levels better, we have Raith and Falkirk who will be fishing in the same pond with similar wages, we need to sell the club far better to prospective players, or we need to go fishing in a different pond. 

MFW has been a success from down south, while Holmes and Benjamin have not. I wouldn't really class Moffat as a signing from down south as he'll have been signed based on his Celtic B pedigree. 

1 minute ago, North West said:

Unhappy with today's result but not too much regarding the whole season.

Oh unhappy with the season as a whole, it's just been a whole lot of f**k all. Avoiding relegation means it won't go down as a bad season, but finishing between 5-8th,no cup runs and multiple derby defeats leaves me an absolute mile away from being happy with the season. 

1 minute ago, HoBNob said:

Oh unhappy with the season as a whole, it's just been a whole lot of f**k all. Avoiding relegation means it won't go down as a bad season, but finishing between 5-8th,no cup runs and multiple derby defeats leaves me an absolute mile away from being happy with the season. 

I'm not happy with our season, I'm just attempting to remain positive and probably taking a pragmatic view. 

8 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Too many players have shown they aren't up to the standard we aspire to in this league, let alone the league above.

Ruthlessness and ambition need to be utilised in the summer.

Not too much wrong with that point of view, but I'm not sure how ambitious the Board are to step up a knotch on the player front. That's my concern.

20 minutes ago, North West said:

Not too much wrong with that point of view, but I'm not sure how ambitious the Board are to step up a knotch on the player front. That's my concern.

Can't see why they wouldn't be ambitious or wouldn't want the best for the club.

How much flexibility do we even have in the squad?

from what I remember we have the following due to leave at the end of the season.

Little, jak, Fenton. Allan out of contract

Kane, holmes, welch-hayes fagon-walcott, moffat, summers, benjamin end of loan. 

we are probably very slightly too big of squad as it stands, so maybe just need to loose 2 or 3 just to bring things down. 

I think most would want kane and fagon-walcott to sign permanently if we can,

Would leave us, based on 3-5-2

Mehmet/ new GK

Comrie/fisher  bene  Breen/Fagon walcott 

MOH/KRH  Otoo/Hamilton chalmers/new CM edwards

Todd/new AM

Kane/ McCann/ wighton /  new striker 

Its quite hard to put an argument together that any more of those leaving should get a spot in that squad,  possibly welch-hayes if we choose to add an extra defensive option to avoid moving otto/hamilton back too much.

1 hour ago, North West said:

Unhappy with today's result but not too much regarding the whole season.

57 minutes ago, North West said:

I'm not happy with our season, I'm just attempting to remain positive and probably taking a pragmatic view. 

Make you mind up.

11 minutes ago, Danpar said:

Anyone know what the prize money is for each league position? Or where I can find it

Other than a small increase in Viaplay prize money this season I don't think the league managed to increase the prize pot from least season. So essentially 7th in the championship gets 1% of the total prize pot.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1NQG1gPtVp1e7_JNzKEidExdctR2PUSQWQsZl-eKe3tI/htmlview